80 Series carbon footprint - I lose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like to ask people like this "you ever wonder how the Great Lakes were formed?" Uh year well a few million odds years before the Industrial Revolution they used to be glaciers. The climate changes and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Love Carlin's tale on it.

A relative of sorts was at our house over the holidays and noticed all of my land cruisers. Hard to miss I suppose. She started in with her first comment that I had a "hybrid sticker" on the back of my one that is decked out with solar. I smiled and said it's almost a hybrid and laughed it off. 30 minutes later I am getting the run down on why it's wrong to put that sticker on my cruiser. Apparently I am getting "noticed" by others for being something I'm not, "hybrid". Heck, I just did it to get better MPG I told her, not to get noticed.

The chat and digs continued throughout the day and each time I just smiled and laughed. But then things changed after she had a drink or two. Now not only was I a fraud for having my hybrid sticker, I am a carbon whore for driving all of these land cruisers. The land cruisers, I was told, should be outlawed in favor of economical cars. Well that was the breaking point for me, and I spewed my rhetoric. I've got one bottom and it can only drive 1 cruiser at a time so having a bunch of them at my house isn't hurting anyone.

Fast forward, and now I am being accused of ruining the earth because the carbon footprint of my cruiser is WAYYYYY more than her Chevy volt.

So now to the technical part.

How might one determine what the "carbon footprint" of driving a Land cruiser is vs. driving a chevy volt thing, or any other vehicle?

Just tell her to get a life and hug a tree, who is she to tell anyone how to live their life? And yes, I have some of these same folks in my family and I let them have it. Funny, they always lose...

Rare Earth metals are plentiful, but only a few miners hold exclusivity to access those elements. This never works out well for the environment or the local humans.

Mining is nasty work, first, you have to extract them. Then, you have to purify them. After they're distributed into technology, they often end up in landfills because it is less costly to simply toss equipment than it is to recycle it.

Mining is hot, dirty and dangerous work and it comes with few labor protections in some regions. Vast mines in regions like South Africa work people to excess, for very minimal pay, and often do not provide their workers with basic health and safety protections. Here in the United States, mining work continues to be unsafe despite supposedly tough labor laws, and it is among the most dangerous occupations.

sebastianmeyer_cobalt_100.jpg

Bottom Line: I will stick with my LC, besides if I am driving it then no third world war lord will not get to drive it, think about it.
09132018cobalt_1920x1080.jpg

Who would have ever thought that I would receive this many replies so quickly.

I shared some knowledge with her tonight, it didn’t go well. She drives her volt and she stopped listening to reason. I mentioned that our local electric comes from coal and explained all the losses of power between the coal in the mine and her fancy plug. I explained there is just no beating the energy and power that comes from combusting long-chain hydrocarbons close to their point of use.

She is probably going to fall off the edge of our flat earth. Ah well...

Thanks everyone for all of the great commens! I’m driving my cruiser with the windows down, ac on, and hybrid sticker freshly shined. Maybe I’ll visit, park outside and leave her running just because.

Good points about the carbon impact of batteries and “disposable” new vehicles. I would also point out that cars and light trucks represent @ 7% of annual global CO2 emissions. Cars & light trucks in the USA represent @ 3% of global CO2 emissions. If all Americans stopped driving entirely, 97% of CO2 emissions would continue. All the Land Cruisers in the world are a rounding error in global emissions.

Economics will make the argument moot at some point. Cost of buying Electric vehicles is coming down and more and more charging stations are being bult.

People will steadily buy more and more Electric vehicles and less internal combustion driven models. That will eventually lead to less use of petroleum based fuels and maybe, at first, the cost of fuel could drop.

However at some point in the not too distant future the cost to maintain old refineries will become too high to sustain with the lower profits from the dropping sales of petroleum fuels, so the refineries will start going off-line.

Then the price of fuel will begin to skyrocket pushing the last holdouts to get rid of their smoking, leaking, smelly vehicles (that no one remembers how to repair) and purchase a new Electric model.

The skies will clear and the birds will sing, that is until a super volcano explodes with the force of 4 billion Hiroshima size nukes pushing 20 quadrillion tons of sulfur ash into the Stratosphere, blocking out the sun for at least a few years leading to the death of 98% of all species on earth, including the people who bought those Electric vehicles (I've already got my cave picked out, and no, I'm not telling anyone where it is).

I live in the U.P. of the peoples republic of Mich. At 30 below I'll take all the global warming they can send me.
in fact I gather as many used tires as I can every year so I can burn them to INCREASE my carbon footprint as much as possible. Nothing we can do will have an impact when China and other developing countries in the world are spewing crap out with utter disregard. Something you can think about next time you buy China to save a few bucks!!! I'm a conservationist NOT a preservationist or environmentalist. They just want to do something to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy and don't know s*** about the real environment. Personally I hope they all go live in a grass hut, Drive a donkey, s*** in a hole in the ground, and freeze to death in the dark!!!!!
On the off chance this isn’t satire and you’re being serious, I’d urge you to reconsider burning tires. The burning of tires can pollute the soil, ground water, and air in your area. Often states impose fines for burning such trash that can break down into hazardous waste.

A relative of sorts was at our house over the holidays and noticed all of my land cruisers. Hard to miss I suppose. She started in with her first comment that I had a "hybrid sticker" on the back of my one that is decked out with solar. I smiled and said it's almost a hybrid and laughed it off. 30 minutes later I am getting the run down on why it's wrong to put that sticker on my cruiser. Apparently I am getting "noticed" by others for being something I'm not, "hybrid". Heck, I just did it to get better MPG I told her, not to get noticed.

The chat and digs continued throughout the day and each time I just smiled and laughed. But then things changed after she had a drink or two. Now not only was I a fraud for having my hybrid sticker, I am a carbon whore for driving all of these land cruisers. The land cruisers, I was told, should be outlawed in favor of economical cars. Well that was the breaking point for me, and I spewed my rhetoric. I've got one bottom and it can only drive 1 cruiser at a time so having a bunch of them at my house isn't hurting anyone.

Fast forward, and now I am being accused of ruining the earth because the carbon footprint of my cruiser is WAYYYYY more than her Chevy volt.

How might one determine what the "carbon footprint" of driving a Land cruiser is vs. driving a chevy volt thing, or any other vehicle?
Perhaps she look at the toxic materials used to make her volt battery,and how it cause more damage to the environment ,Not the mention the coal burned to make the power to charge the volt

Kernal, I guess what you're saying to all us fossil fuel users, change, or end up with the same fate as all of the turn of the century buggy whip makers. Buggy whips, used to prod the horses harnessed to wagons and carriages, started to become obsolete when automobiles appeared in the late 19th century. Today, any line of business facing the life-or-death challenge of a digital age will be described, sooner or later, as a contemporary buggy whip maker.

that is until a super volcano explodes with the force of 4 billion Hiroshima size nukes pushing 20 quadrillion tons of sulfur ash into the Stratosphere, blocking out the sun for a three years leading to the death of 98% of all species on earth, including the people
That's already happen once before, it was the catastrophe eruption of Toba.

Last edited:
Good points about the carbon impact of batteries and “disposable” new vehicles. I would also point out that cars and light trucks represent @ 7% of annual global CO2 emissions. Cars & light trucks in the USA represent @ 3% of global CO2 emissions. If all Americans stopped driving entirely, 97% of CO2 emissions would continue. All the Land Cruisers in the world are a rounding error in global emissions.
Where did u get this information?

I would happily install a hybrid or electric motor in my cruiser. But the range isnt good for electric, and nobody makes a erod hybrid crate setup. I've been building my 80 for doing aid work in 3rd world countries and a volt wont cut it and where will u charge a tesla in a 3rd world country?

Not quite yet on the erod crate motor, but we’re getting there. My eventual goal is to have an electric 80.

Builds - Electric TLC FJ-40 Build

Carbon footprint is a 1st world problem. The rest of the world is too busy breeding and doubling the population every few decades to have time to worry about carbon :)

My older son was quite tickled to see my starting up the old patrol when we visited oz for a 5 week trip a few months ago. The carbon is visible...

You can tell your relative that your land cruisers are the least of his/her problems :)

cheers,
george.

Read what I wrote above as if there's a touch of sarcasm in my voice. I'm saying it doesn't matter if we change now (crush our Land Cruisers) because eventually due to advances in technology and dropping costs to buy/operate Electric vehicles, we will change naturally when a better buggy whip, or buggy, comes along.

I don't think it will be too long before all of us own at least one electric
vehicle, not because we want to save the planet, but because it makes
economic sense. In ?20-30 years someone driving a vehicle with an internal combustion engine may be uncommon, something people
do on a sunny weekend afternoon.

As mentioned above in a few places, the rest of the world will be pumping CO2 into the atmosphere long after we've cut our footprint to zero.

Last edited:
This actually came up in conversation tonight at our local Cruiser meet.

Anyways, it is all BS. Your carbon footprint is zero. Here is why and this is 100% just my opinion.

You are driving OLD Land Cruisers. My question to your heckler or statement if you rather would be, how many cars have you bought or owned in the last 10yrs or better yet 20yrs? How many of those cars were 10yrs or newer? If it is more than one or two, their carbon footprint no mater wtf they drive is much greater than yours. The amount of energy and thus waste and thus carbon footprintwhatevertheflick is much higher. Driving old vehicles is better for the environment for this very reason. Everything about manufacturing a vehicle is not environmentally friendly so the less manufactured the better for the planet.

:)

Cheers

Wrong argument. Your carbon footprint is fantastic because by owning all those Land Cruisers, you are preventing others from driving them while you drive - you can drive only one vehicle at a time, for what it's worth. The hybrid sticker - you're cheating, you know it, you got called on it, and you're on your own on this one... :)

Last edited:
musthave, All you can do my friend, is try to educated her, through education ignorance can be overcome, but trying to educate someone who is stuck on stupid, can, and will be a terminal waste of your valuable time.

^This. Spoken by obviously a very wise person :) If I could "love" or "double-like" this comment I would.

Someone I respect very much recently told me that I am spending far too much time concerning myself with other people's opinion of me.

Not in a teenager "Am I hip" sort of way, but rather, that I was too concerned with something they were being unreasonable about, which I had already bent myself over backward trying to come to an agreement on.

-A

The hybrid sticker - you're cheating, you know it, you got called on it, and you're on your own on this one...
I look at his use of a hybrid sticker as kind of camouflage, when musthave is operating his fossil fuel truck in snowflake/enemy territory. You see he is just copying what a Phasmida does in nature, they camouflage themselves to look like their surroundings to avoid predators. In this case he is just trying to blend in with all the other low emission cars and trucks to fool all the outraged snowflake predators that hate fossil fueled trucks.

Last edited:
I like this ^^^ approach, where can I get that sticker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom