80 series — can I put newer 80 series shell on a 91 chassis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys , first post . Recently rolled my 91 80s . Heartbroken worked years restoring it . She actually started and I drove her from crash site .

Anyhow I’m gonna rebuild . Chassis engine gearbox all perfect .
MY QUESTION : CAN I PUT ANY SHELL 80s up to 97 on my 91 chassis ??

Any advice greatly appreciated

I’ve had a 92 FJ80 and a 97 FZJ80 at the same time. The 97 had way more power (feels funny saying that compared to modern SUVs), got better MPG, stopped better, handled better (both stock suspensions) and has full floating axles (and lockers).

I guess my point is what are you hoping to gain by swapping 91 drivetrain on later body versus just enjoying a newer one? Seems like most cases it would be easier to fix details on a newer 80 than do a body swap.

I bought another 96 with 380K miles and very light front end damage (bumper) cheap for my kid a year ago. Threw a few leftover parts at it and it’s been a great ride, runs great etc.

I’ve had a 92 FJ80 and a 97 FZJ80 at the same time. The 97 had way more power (feels funny saying that compared to modern SUVs), got better MPG, stopped better, handled better (both stock suspensions) and has full floating axles (and lockers).

I guess my point is what are you hoping to gain by swapping 91 drivetrain on later body versus just enjoying a newer one? Seems like most cases it would be easier to fix details on a newer 80 than do a body swap.

I bought another 96 with 380K miles and very light front end damage (bumper) cheap for my kid a year ago. Threw a few leftover parts at it and it’s been a great ride, runs great etc.
Thanks dude, there is a very good reason — in 2 years my 91 will be classed as vintage and tax and insurance tiny —- newer model insurance 5k tax yearly 2k

Bodies should be interchangeable, but I imagine the number of little caveats is going to be astronomical (in terms of wiring and various little differences). I can also say from experience, inspect the frame and suspension of rolled one very carefully before proceeding with your plan. I rolled a 4runner and re-used the suspension on my next truck. Many miles later, a strut broke in half while on the road, which might well have resulted in yet another roll-over (thank God it didn't).

If you're looking for the tax and insurance break, maybe try shopping for another older one?

There are some electrical differences between the bodies.

In order for the EASIEST, you'll want a 1991 or 1992.

You MAY be able to bump to a 1993 or 1994, but they have SOME difference electrical, but still OBD1.

95+ is OBD2 and will have considerable differences.

If you go with a newer body, you can change some of the electrical and the computer, but the 93+ all have electronic gauges whereas, I THINK the 91-92 have analog gauges and an actual speedo cable.

Check with @slow95z to see if he has any parts you need.

Not only will there be differences between years but also driven train. Is your 91 model a diesel or petrol? What engine and transmission? The easiest swap will be everything matching otherwise there more than likely be differences in wire harness and electrical accessories, old versus new dashboard design.

I believe the fender aprons are a bit different. Everything on your 91 should swap over on your fender aprons, but you may need to drill a few holes. I swapped a 91 driver side fender apron to my 93 and I was able to make it work.

If it were me I wouldn't go through the aggravation and the trouble. Find you a 93+ in the same color and swap your vin. Done and done and now everybody is happy.

91's are the best

If it were me I wouldn't go through the aggravation and the trouble. Find you a 93+ in the same color and swap your vin. Done and done and now everybody is happy.
Well that’s why I’m asking here if can can be and get away with it

Well that’s why I’m asking here if can can be and get away with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom