80 Series Bug Defense Systems ..|.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well not sure about "bugs" per se. But mosquitoes yes. It was long held that it was the heat signature of animals that they were attracted to. It turns out its the CO2 animals exhale that they see. Ask anyone who has ever used CO2 to fill up their tires in a skeeter infested spot. I just stand back and laugh my ass off.

The trick works by diverting the mosquitoes TO the bucket of dry ice and AWAY from you because the dry ice puts out more CO2 that is seen. There are 110v machines you can get now that all they do is pump out Co2 in order to give the people at your bbq some peace.

Well not sure about "bugs" per se. But mosquitoes yes. It was long held that it was the heat signature of animals that they were attracted to. It turns out its the CO2 animals exhale that they see. Ask anyone who has ever used CO2 to fill up their tires in a skeeter infested spot. I just stand back and laugh my ass off.

The trick works by diverting the mosquitoes TO the bucket of dry ice and AWAY from you because the dry ice puts out more CO2 that is seen. There are 110v machines you can get now that all they do is pump out Co2 in order to give the people at your bbq some peace.

I've never done this before, but you're absolutely correct about CO2. Another interesting thing that I have observed is that mosquitoes seem to be more attracted to blue than other colors of clothing. Go figure.

Another interesting thing that I have observed is that mosquitoes seem to be more attracted to blue than other colors of clothing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, my mother said the SAME thing. She lives in NC and their mosquito season seems to be pretty brutal. I guess all of the South suffers from it. SoCal isn't all that bad.

But yeah, she said she had to get rid of a lot of her favorite clothes because of it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, my mother said the SAME thing. She lives in NC and their mosquito season seems to be pretty brutal. I guess all of the South suffers from it. SoCal isn't all that bad.

But yeah, she said she had to get rid of a lot of her favorite clothes because of it.

I have empirical evidence from my days working in Alaska. Same place, same time, my friend and I would switch outer shirts. The guy wearing the blue shirt got mauled, and it wasn't even close.

Joey,

Looking good!

Yeah, I have never been too comfortable with the idea of driving with the screens on, despite the instruction saying that you could. But as far as keeping the bugs out you should not have any problems!

BTW, they recommend that you store them flat, not flexing the frame. I guess just to make sure that they don't get warped or something.

Now get the radiator screen installed already!
I'm curious to see how (bad?) it would look with the big "L" there instead of the sombrero. I'm sure you'll make it look good though!

If you want the quilted shades for all the windows for complete privacy, I can still get them! :hillbilly:

Keep up the good work!

Mot :)

Your coming to Canada?! Where to? If you head anywhere near Calgary it would be cool to hook up with you.

Your coming to Canada?! Where to? If you head anywhere near Calgary it would be cool to hook up with you.

Actually not too far from Calgary. My destination is Glacier NP. I am planning on starting a nice long thread about my plans and whatnot. But here is the very basics so far:
Glacier National Park - Google Maps

Leaving Aug. 15th and planning on being home by Sep. 6th. So gives me a pretty solid three weeks.

I assume you have one of those lexan bug deflectors on the hood? I have my hilift, shovel, and axe mounted to the ARB bullbar and I get virtually no bugs on the windshield. Not sure if it's turbulance caused my the stuff on the bullbar or that bug deflector, but my windshield stays almost completely clean while others are caked with insect bits. Unfortunately, all the critters that are forced above the windshield end up coating the leading edge of my Maggiolina RTT, but that's another issue.

I use to have one with the shiny Lexus logo on it :grinpimp: but it cracked so I just removed it. Should be interesting this time around. You know, two years ago when we camped in Sequoia, we had at LEAST a dozen bats smash into my windshield. It was completely bizarre because I had the deflector and well... they're fxxxing BATS! Thinking of using duct tape on the leading edge on the bags and stuff that I will have on the roof rack. Then when the trip is over I can just remove the tape and the bag wont be embedded with bug guts.

I reckon that nothing will create enough turbulance to divert bats - that's wild. I like the duct tape idea. I still haven't gotten all of the bug bits off the Maggiolina from a spring trip to Death Valley.

I reckon that nothing will create enough turbulance to divert bats - that's wild. I like the duct tape idea. I still haven't gotten all of the bug bits off the Maggiolina from a spring trip to Death Valley.

What really sucks is bugs with sharp bits on their bodies tend to leave bits embedded into vinyl cloth. Sometimes even puncturing it.

That long a trip in that county I would think about spraying the front end down with a little pam to make easy removal of the bugs!

Voila!

It would have been ready sooner, but the e-mail I received from the shop had gone to the spam folder and I did not catch it for a couple of days. :doh:

Anyway, today they came over to test-fit the 3rd-row screen on my rig.

It folds and is flexible, just like the 2nd-row screens, making it easy to store w/o taking up too much room or having too much chance of getting damaged.

Although it fit like a glove, there are a couple of (very) minor issues that we felt that needed to be addressed/altered to make it even better before going full production.

But all in all we were very pleased.

Just an F.Y.I. :grinpimp:
screens 010.jpg
screens 013.jpg
screens 018.jpg

you will be happy when you go to wash your truck and the bugs fall off like like you wouldnt believe there is also a different product. some people swear by it but i am not sold on it yet. check out

RejeX®: So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick! rejex its so slick the bugs wont stick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom