80 series brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm about to repair/replace the front brake pads, and am wondering why i haven't seen anything on 80 series brakes, anyone got any input on the best chioce of pads, whether to use the 100 series pads or not, and how about the porcelain pads, anyone use them?

Did you search? This has been discussed quite a bit...best bet is us OEM 100 series pads from C-Dan....

i found the info, seems like it may be a challenge to fit the 100's, but must be worth it. how about the porcelain pads, any imput?

100 series pads.

just put 100 series pads (did not take any grinding) and new OEM rotors on my mom's '97. Best stopping 80 I've driven.

Man I don't get it. I tried 100 series pads about three years ago.....there was too much grinding!!! I simply quit and installed the 80 series pads. Ya'll keep saying there is no grinding....hmmmm...maybe I got the wrong pads?
ailaird

Where are yall grinding?

All I did was force the pistons ALL the way into the caliper, slip the pads in, and bolt the calipers up.

Did two trucks on the same day the same way.

What Bailey said...

It was tough pushing the piston in all the way, but once it's compressed, you just slide the pad in...leave the shims out.

-o-

compress the caliper pistons ALL THE WAY.

100 series pads will fit FRONT calipers with no problems at all. No grinding.

Don't use the shims.

For the rears, use 80 series pads.

Get them from CDan.

If you're not in to much of a rush, I just ordered Hawk LTS front pads and Axxis Ultimate rear pads today. I will be installing them in the next week or so and will report back my findings comparing them to oem.

i ordered the 100 series pads already, but i would like to hear about the Hawk pads, are these the porcelain ones?

the install notes i have notised (disc change), when you are done replasing discs take the truck out and abuse them , hard braking, basicly get them from realy hot to cold as fast as possible, this will harden the disc and probably give you brake vibe issues. (in this case the hole point is to make the disc bend)
here's the point , the disk's will probably need machining to remove the vibration but they will not need it again so you have acheeved is to harden the disc and making it last longer and removed anny vibrastion issues for the future (the disc only bends once in a lifetime).
this worked for me annyway, good luck

The Hawk pads are actually the Carbon Metallic pads. The Axxis Ultimates for the rear are ceramics.

CruisinGA said:
100 series pads.

just put 100 series pads (did not take any grinding) and new OEM rotors on my mom's '97. Best stopping 80 I've driven.

I drove Bailey's truck this past weekend, very good stopping power, and I wish I could do that to mine but for the 91/92 you do have to modify the 100 pads. Something I'm not comfortable with so i ordered the regular pads.
Bailey, how did you like my brakes? nice huh? The warped rotor thing is cool. Especially stopping 35's

bjowett said:
Just a note... those shims are actually heat shields to keep "heat" from the pads out of the pistons.

News to me.

I've always thought it a little bit odd that folks want to jam in the 100 series brake pads into the 80s. But I do understand why they do it. They want to extend the amount of time before they have to jam 'm in again! :)

Rich said:
I've always thought it a little bit odd that folks want to jam in the 100 series brake pads into the 80s. But I do understand why they do it. They want to extend the amount of time before they have to jam 'm in again! :)
For the same price as for 80 series pads, with the 100 series pads, you get a thicker pad (more life) and larger surface area (argueably more stopping power).

What's not to like? :D

NorCalDoug said:
For the same price as for 80 series pads, with the 100 series pads, you get a thicker pad (more life) and larger surface area (argueably more stopping power).

What's not to like? :D

Kinda gotta echo Doug here. More stopping power, longer life = MORE BETTER!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom