80 Series Bodylift with an automatic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

I'm wanting to put a 2in bodylift in my cruiser, however it is an auto. I was just wondering if anyone knows if i can do this without fabricating anything for the gear levers?
I know that there is a sliding adjustment thingy on the rod that connects the lever to the gearbox, but im not sure that it will give me enough movement.

Any info anyone has would be great!

Check out other threads.... also check out Slee's website. Do lots of reading.... pick up the factory service manual, to help get yourself in the right direction. Good luck with you gear levers?

TiredIronGRB said:
Oh no, this is going to be bad...

Really I have to say that some of "us" are going to form a "Body lifts aren't all Bad Support group"...

Anyhow, it’s not hard at all, yes you will get plenty of adj out of the gear selector. You will need to fab or shorten the 4hi/lo. You can lengthen this, or cut it shorter making it a short throw, down side is the lever is a bit shorter in the boot... Were body lifts scare most off is in the dropping of the rad, witch really again is no big deal, or you could opt the route I went and set your self up with dual electric fans.

-Ammo

Ammo,

How much did you go? I've been thinking about it for my 80. I did it on my 60 and I loved the results. I was able to run 35s SUA. Super stable rig but still had clearance where it needed it.

ginericfj80 said:
Ammo,

How much did you go? I've been thinking about it for my 80. I did it on my 60 and I loved the results. I was able to run 35s SUA. Super stable rig but still had clearance where it needed it.

Thank You for stating something I’ve said to people time and time again about a body lift. Believe me I used to be a hater like most. Even with the 3" EMU lift you do not get all the flex out of the lift before your tires rub, easy solution is a body lift. I stuff 37's with a 3" OME and 2" body and still have about 1/2" room before I will bottom out on the bumps. Lift= bigger tires but still lower COG.

Mine is 2" from Marks brought in through Advanced Adaptor here in the US, however, Clown Mike... Clownmidget has a supplier here in the US, no need to wait on the slow boat.

http://www.marks4wd.com/body-lift-kit-index.html

http://www.advanceadapters.com/newidea.html

-Ammo

Last edited:
I have a 2" body lif on my 91' and it looks great. I run 32's and they fit with room to spare. the truck itself drives normaly and handles well. But I did not put the kit on, it was done by the previous owner.
do it right, and you'll be happy

I'm actually quite fond of body lifts, at least on the pickups and 4Runners. Rather than trying to achieve 6" of lift soley by suspension mods (and getting a stiff ride), I can put 1-3" of body lift on and put the rest in the suspension. Body lifts are quite cheap in comparsion to suspension lifts. I spent $100 on a body lift for my '85 pickup to lift it 3 inches, then spent another $600 to give it a 3.5" suspension lift (NWOR=garbage) which is rediculously stiff and has now sagged. I will be going with Alcan springs shortly.... On my '90 4Runner it cost me another $100 to give it a 2" body lift, and another $900 or so for 4" worth of suspension parts. And I agree, dropping a radiator is nothing. Both of my vehicles needed it. My biggest concern is when you are ready to jack the body up off the frame that you make absolutely sure you aren't stretching/breaking any electrical wiring or plumbing. You may also have to put in a steering shaft extension, but if it's needed it should come with the kit anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom