80 Series Blown Head Gasket-Has Anyone Done This Before? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys

So I have recently joined the blow head gasket club for my 80 series. I am curious if anyone in the Birmingham area has replaced theirs or has experience doing this before. I have seen Otramm's video on how to replace it and that is really the only resource I have of how to do it. Just wanted to reach out and see what I am getting myself into and if there is anyone on here I could reach out to with questions if they come up. I guess there really isn't a better time to spend in the shop with all this COVID-19 stuff so I am looking to start disassembly tomorrow. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1585960639266.png

It’s not super fun. You really should take it to a machine shop to have it decked. Not always necessary, but probably will be, and defiantly a good idea.

a “top side” creeper is really nice doing it.

Not sure how handy you are, but I’d take it to Rocket City Cruisers and let Rory do it if you have any doubts about having the tools/skill/time to do it yourself.

It’s not super fun. You really should take it to a machine shop to have it decked. Not always necessary, but probably will be, and defiantly a good idea.

Not sure how handy you are, but I’d take it to Rocket City Cruisers and let Rory do it if you have any doubts about having the tools/skill/time to do it yourself.
Thanks. I think it is within my capability to do. Especially when I hear the cost of having it done... I am a fan of saving money. I don't have a top side creeper so no luck there.

Do you suggest cutting the manifold to get the wires out of the way? I see some people do that and some don't.

Where is rocket city cruisers?

@ScubaSteve205 what made you check the head gasket? Did this happen after you left my house the other day?
@ScubaSteve205 with all the other stuff you’ve done to your 80 and with the downtime we all have at home, I think you can definitely handle it on your own. Just download the FSM and follow it.

Getting the head checked wouldn’t be a bad idea either while you have it off.

@ScubaSteve205 with all the other stuff you’ve done to your 80 and with the downtime we all have at home, I think you can definitely handle it on your own. Just download the FSM and follow it.

Yes this all the way! Don't put a head back on that sucker without having it machined first

And order new head bolts! They are torque to yield and cannot be reused.

Hey everyone. Just thought I would give an update. Got the head off and gasket removed. Wasn't that hard at all. Head is at the machine shop to get machined along with a lot of other parts to be chemically cleaned. While I'm in there I am also replacing the water pump, fuel filter, new ARP head studs, spark plugs, EGR delete, and knock sensors.

The job was much easier than I thought. I worked on it for 4 nights working from about 8pm-11pm. If anyone needs help with one of these let me know, I am happy to help.

IMG_2771.jpg

On another note me and a buddy bought a 1995 80 series to part out. Got most of the engine parts still for sale along with the engine and a new transmission that was just recently rebuilt and looks brand new. There are many things still left in the interior as well. If you are looking for something let me know.

1586716882444.png

Thanks. I have the FSM and used it a little while doing the job. Good tip though. There is a lot of good information in there.

Hey guys,

Thought I would give an update on this. Just finished up the head gasket tonight. LC is running great so far.

While I was in there I did:
  1. Everything that came in the head gasket kit. New head gasket, valve cover gasket, manifold gaskets, and many o-rings.
  2. Fuel Filter
  3. Break Booster
  4. Master Cylinder
  5. ARP Head Studs
  6. Spark Plugs
  7. Water Pump
  8. EGR Delete
  9. NGK Spark Plug Wires
  10. PPH
  11. Knock Sensors
  12. New hoses in many places
  13. O2 sensor
  14. Painted valve cover, heat shields, pulley, and brackets
  15. New fan clutch nuts
IMG_2771.jpg

You can see the coolant in cylinder 1.

1587613129201.png

1587613212823.png

I don't consider myself a mechanic but after this job I am starting to change my mind... very proud of this and learned a lot during the process. For those considering this job, it's not hard. I had a lot of people tell me to pull the motor and I have no idea why you would do that unless you were going to rebuild the whole engine. I have also recently pulled an engine out of an LC and it was time consuming.

-Steven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom