80 Series Axle Swap & Old Man Emu Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in discussions with someone to swap out axles from a 1996 80 series and install into my LX450 (both are non-locking, there's damage to my LX450 axles), and then install a heavy load Old Man Emu lift. Trying to get a good sense of what a fair labor price would be to pay this person and his friend to assist with the work. Even a ballpark range would be hugely helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

A lot depends on how rusty the bottom of both rigs are. Also, now is a good time to replace any control arm and panhard bushings that are not in really good shape. Are you going to reseal the front knuckles while they are handy? Do they need brake service while you are there? What is wrong with your old axles? are your bad axles going to be reinstalled into the donor rig?

Not sure about the damaged axles. They are coming off my rig where a botched lift job was done and the guy chopped off the spring mount platforms to build his own spring mounts, a welded cylinder with large washer welded on. I was also having issues with the right knuckle so was planning on using at least the front knuckles from the 96. 1996 will be left on stands for continued parting out as we’re removing the transmission and engine to be kept as trade for the install efforts of the axles and an old man emu lift on my 1997 lx.

Yes. I believe I found someone good, and trustworthy to assist, just figured I'd see if I could get some opinions of a fair price for the labor efforts.

@djzimms - are you the guy who got a super bootyfab of a lift ~yr ago?

Bunch of scrap steel used to lift it?

Was done by some really hack 4wd shop w/ a gay shop truck?

If so, I'd be asking who the best shop in your area is to do the work, not so focused on cheapest. I'd want to buy experience since it seems like you had a horror story if you're the story I'm remembering.

What about getting @Tools R Us or @inkpot to point you at a shop if they aren't available per your schedule?

@djzimms - are you the guy who got a super bootyfab of a lift ~yr ago?

Bunch of scrap steel used to lift it?

Was done by some really hack 4wd shop w/ a gay shop truck?

If so, I'd be asking who the best shop in your area is to do the work, not so focused on cheapest. I'd want to buy experience since it seems like you had a horror story if you're the story I'm remembering.

What about getting @Tools R Us or @inkpot to point you at a shop if they aren't available per your schedule?

Definitely not focused on the cheapest, just was curious cost wise what others might recommend for those efforts. Have someone from Phoenix area who does seem to be experienced, who wants the engine & transmission out of a 1996 LC I'm parting out in exchange for swapping out the axles and installing an old man emu lift into my LX. Seems like a fair deal to me, but just was asking if that seems like a good deal. It's basically estimating the 284K engine & tranny as compared to the labor efforts @ $1,500, which seemed slightly high, but wasn't sure on my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom