80 series axle shaft swaps...looking for Specs and opinions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I've been doing research and planning my build of my Franken-80 and I've got an axle shaft question. Both the front and rear axles in my 80 is going to get a rebuild and locker, but the question is do I reinstall the factory axle shafts (front and\or rear) or do I spend the extra money and get Chromo Shafts. Same question for birfields (assuming they're not already trashed). Do I stick with factory replacements or go for the bigger, beefed up birfields.

For reference, I'm doing a 2.5" lift, planning on running 285\75\16 tires on factory rims and using this as my adventure-mobile. It'll have a rooftop tent (I'm moving my CVT Mt. Rainier from my F-150 to my 80 series once I get a roof rack) extra fuel, water...all the usual crap. Factory 4.5L Engine. I don't plan on rock crawling it, I just want to be able to explore State Parks and National Forests with impunity while hauling all my junk with.

Does anyone know much about the specs of the factory axle shafts from Toyota? It seems to me the factory shafts are pretty tough and can take a lot of abuse already. Is it worth breaking bad and spending the extra money, or is it only really an essential upgrade if I'm running big tires? Same question for bigger, upgraded birfields.

I'm going to have the axles all torn apart anyway, figured I'd do all my upgrading at once. I just don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on axle shafts if there's not that much to be gained (or if it's inappropriate for this build).

What do you guys think?

I dunno, I've broken two or three rear pinions which mashed up the ring gears but never broke a single shaft.

It would probably be smart for me to carry spare rear shafts but I think unless they're worn or you plan on wheeling hard and want spares I would probably leave them if they're in good shape.

If you're not rock crawling, don't do the chromo shafts. They wear out quickly for daily driving and such. They are designed to take the hits and torque wrap-up of heavy rock crawling.

Do a search for birfields and axle shafts. This has been discussed MANY times before.

Thanks guys! This is the kind of info I needed. I guess I just assumed Chromos are stronger and therefore better, but for my applications, factory axles seem to make way more sense.

Anyone have any preferred\saved birfield threads?

For what you're doing the factory stuff is in its' wheelhouse.

Longfields aren't needed for your use either - both are for the guys going crawling / running trails oni 35-37" tires.

Save the $$ & just do a axle servicing.

I have never broken an axle shaft but I have twisted a front DS axle shaft. Makes it impossible to get the birfield off so I had to replace both. At 340k miles now I have replaced (replaced, not just swapped sides) a total of 3 times. They would have lasted far longer but I just hated hearing the clicking while turning. I don't do much rock crawling, not a fan. But I do a lot of asphalt, dirt, snow, ice and whatever else is in the way. Longevity is all about regular servicing and using good components...OEM.

If you go chromo on the birfs you should look into selectable hubs and a part-time kit to reduce wear.. which, unless you invest a ton of money, will also disable your ABS.

This is the info I needed, guys! Thanks so much! Factory axles it is.

Can anyone save me a pile of time researching and suggest a good factory replacement birfield? The axles I have are out of a 1994 80 series. I spend enough time on here at work as is ;)

The two options are really, factory Toyota or RCV in my opinion. RCV chromo if you're running big tires, big power, etc or OEM Toyota if your plans are like you said.

Factory replacement is not a good idea in my opinion. But I do know Christo Slee has had some luck with a replacement, give him a call, very straight shooter, won't BS you to make a sale. If you go OEM give @beno a ring. He will get you the rebuild kit and axles. Again very straight shooter and very knowledgeable on Toyota parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom