80 series aftermarket brakes, caliper upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone here upgraded the brake calipers on their 80 series keeping the factory 16 inch wheels?
If so, what brand did you use? Where did you buy it? How did you like the performance? Did the system allow for you to keep the brake shield?

Thanks

It would be like seeing the Yeti, not gonna happen....

Nah, I believe.

Took a screen shot of this John ward video of a 80 built by tlc.

I don’t know the make but it looks like the own backing plate is there.

571642BC-CAAB-4344-BF9D-8403B4D224B5.png

I've heard Jonathon Ward sells kits. Check with them.

I don’t know. It looks like the brake shield is missing.
If they went oem why wouldn’t they keep the shield?

First thing I did when I rebuilt my knuckles was cut off the shield.

I’m at my absolute wits end. Oh how I wish someone would make a big brake upgrade for the 80 Series Land Ctuiser. It’s a solution I probably didn’t even know I needed. If only...

5th Gen 4Runner Brakes. Or Hydro-Boost setup from www.powerbrakeservice.net. Or Bramac Power Brakes makes an upgraded booster which they claim has a 35% increase in line pressure for $599.

Was that for ease of maintenance in the future or to keep from getting rocks and crud stuck in there?

All of the above, and my factory shields had already been smashed in a few times while wheeling. They were bent pretty bad.

I must be in the minority but I did a ABS delete, LSPV delete, and green pads and think the braking is fine.

^^^^

This is on my 'to do' list as well. Finally decided to ditch the ABS and LSPV. I need to replace my tired old brake lines...so time to do the rest as well. I'm retired now...so my L/C stays out on the ranch...with an occasional trip to town so it should suit me well. I've never liked ABS anyway.

Eliminating the LSPV will firm up the pedal. But it's intended to soften it in hard braking.

The basic idea of the LSPV is to adjust the proportioning based on the load in the rear of the truck and how much that load effects the ride height of the rear. More load = a drop in ride height = more braking.

And this pretty much works for the usual situations.

But in a hard or panic stop where you approach the limits of braking the " load sensing spring" begins to deflect, limiting the pressure being applied to the rear brakes via the proportioning valve and avoids locking the rear brakes and a potential skid situation.

This defecting translates to a soft feeling in the brake pedal.

The "load sensing spring" is the round rod that goes from the LSPV to the rear axle. I first witnessed it deflecting when my son was helping me bleed my brakes while the engine was running. When I stopped it from deflecting with my hand my son told me the brake pedal got harder. Initially I had thought I found a gap in the design and could easily improve on it by strengthening the rod and eliminating the deflection.

After further evaluation, I'm leaving it alone, not touching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom