80 Series Adventure Rig Build! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80 Series Adventure Rig Build!

Well, after selling my 100 Series (see my other build thread) a couple of years ago, I decided I wanted a return to the Cruiser Life. Here in New Zealand, a lot of our back-country areas are laden with braided river beds, deep river crossing, and large rocks/boulders. With this in mind, and my desire to do some more remote and solo travel, I wanted a vehicle that was comfy enough on road, but most crucial, was extremely capable off-road, for the conditions mentioned above. The vehicle platfrom that ticked this box for me was the Land Cruiser 80 Series.

I started looking, and my criteria was specific: I wanted a low mileage model (less than 200,000kms or 125,000 miles), automatic, 24 Valve, immaculate interior and exterior, and factory diff locks if possible.

Fortunately, I scored all but one of those - the diff locks. More on that soon, as I am in the process of fixing that...

I scored a nice rig, with a few tasteful mods (2" lift, 315/75r16's on 16x8 steel wheels, snorkel, mild tune, 3" turbo-back exhaust etc.)

My plan is to build up a "70/30" - 70% offroad use, 30% onroad. With this in mind my planned list of mods/accessories is:

- 3" Dobinson Lift (replace the current 2") just to get a little extra clearance and better departure and approach angles
- ARB bar
- Snorkel - DONE
- 315/75r16 tires - DONE
- 16x8 Alloy wheels (to replace the generic black steel wheels on it currently)
- Genuine OEM Toyota Factory Diff Locks (retrofitted)
- Flat roof platform
- Awning
- 2x LED spotlights
- Recovery tracks
- Shovel
- Double-din Headunit and reverse camera

Photo 20-05-20, 3 41 02 PM.jpg

Photo 20-05-20, 4 10 25 PM.jpg

Photo 20-05-20, 4 09 38 PM.jpg

Photo 20-05-20, 3 44 23 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking truck!! She’s a beauty. Time for some armor if you’re going to be in the rocks regularly...rock sliders? Since you’re going to be traveling by yourself, a winch would be a necessity to get out of trouble. Nice that you have the spare on the back already.

Last edited:
Very nice looking truck!! She’s a beauty. Time for some armor if you’re going to be in the rocks regularly...rock sliders? Since you’re going to be traveling by yourself, a winch would be a necessity to get out of trouble. Nice that you have the spare on the back already.

Thanks mate! Yeah, definitely considering some sliders first, then perhaps some underbody protection.

That's a great looking truck, and your plans sound like a lot of fun.
What does a truck like that cost in your neck of the woods, in USD?
Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom