80 series A442 transmission issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Evening,

if any one has any insight into what might be wrong with my landcruiser please share. I have some mechanical knowledge but in terms of automatic transmissions, transfer cases etc I’m very much a novice.

Sorry to ramble, heres my story.
I have a 1995 80s series that ive owned since 2003, 550,000kms very few issues the old girl has been the best machine ive ever owned.
two weeks ago on a long trip (950kms in) towing a small trailer (virtually no load) I was going up a reasonably steep hill when I suddenly lost all drive. Pulled to the side of the road best I could, selecting drive,2nd etc no drive and when I put it in park it makes a high pitched noise. I had it towed and transported back to my home, figured the transmission would require a complete overhaul and since covid has hit don’t have the money just at the moment so parked her up until I can afford to fix. However today it occurred to me that I hadn’t tried to shift it in low 4wd, when I do this it drives just fine and shifts into park. So my question is with my limited knowledge is it more likely to be a transfer case issue than a problem in the auto itself. Or am I still up s*it creek without a paddle.
Apologies if my explanation is poor.
Thanks for your time

regards
Harley

Sounds like the very common failure of one of the drive flanges on the front axle being stripped. With the center diff unlocked, jack up one front wheel at a time and see if you can rotate that wheel. The one that rotates is the problem. Relatively easy and cheap repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom