80 Series 8020 Cruiser Kitchen (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just found this super sweet build thread: Kudos on your design, fabrication and overall execution. Well done!

Just found this super sweet build thread: Kudos on your design, fabrication and overall execution. Well done!
Thank you! :) A few small bits to modify/fix/fine tune, I'll post updates as I have them. Probably when the camping itch really hits me in late Feb. :cool:

have you thought about using a Flexi-tank for water storage in the rear RH panel? That is, if you haven't already used the space for something else. Granted it's only 25L but that's a can's worth.

have you thought about using a Flexi-tank for water storage in the rear RH panel? That is, if you haven't already used the space for something else. Granted it's only 25L but that's a can's worth.
I was on that route quite a bit a few years ago. But I couldn't find anything that was reasonably priced. We definitely need a full 40L or more for the whole family for a week.

I was on that route quite a bit a few years ago. But I couldn't find anything that was reasonably priced. We definitely need a full 40L or more for the whole family for a week.
Yes, I had thought about that myself but the small size was a deterrent. Currently my water storage is a three can swingout on the rear bumper. I only have two total pax in the vehicle for trips, so I have room where the second row is for more storage.

Back on the search for water storage. Currently I'm using two 20L plastic Jerry cans that slip in beside the kitchen on top of the left wheel well. I then just plunk the intake hose into the top of the open Jerry can. Works well, already had the cans, and simple enough.

I'm considering getting a custom made drinking water plastic tank for in BEHIND the kitchen, between the kitchen and the back of the second row seats. Would work well, and that space is mostly useless as it is. However, it's likely gonna be expensive. I've emailed a local(ish) plastic fabrication company to see if they'll even do it.

Another option is one of these water bladders. This company seems pretty respectful, doesn't look like your typical cheap from China product. Their smallest one is 10 us gallons which is approx 38L. When full it's 31 inches wide (perfect to sit between wheel wells) and 22 inches high, which is the exact height of the kitchen. Has a fill port and a threaded exit port which I could easily attach my inlet hose (pump) to.

Thoughts?
Screenshot_20210105-133016.png

Screenshot_20210105-132849.png

Screenshot_20210105-132856.png

Last edited:
Impressive kitchen build. But I’m really beside myself over that awesome cargo barrier. :hillbilly:
Haha, hello sir! Thanks. Long time no talk. That's actually one a friend and I created. (A one-of). I sold yours some time ago (shouldn't have) as I was using the 3rd row seating more often. But now I'm not and needed a baracade again!

The price point on that bladder is really tempting. I just wonder how durable it would be, and how easy it would be to secure in place. If it would sit in the spot you designated without any tie downs then that might be a pretty easy solution. A custom plastic one would likely be expensive, and it seems most plastics companies are busy right now making shields for retail stores, banks, etc.

The nice thing about bladders is that they contract while emptying so there is less sloshing noise then driving off road. You could always build a small box for the bladder to sit in if it needs something to keep it in place and not sliding around. I have no experience with water bladders but on of the 80 guys on here has a patrol in australia that he had a custom water bladder made for that he loves. His bladder for that vehicle is a lot larger though and therefore more convenient as it doesn't have to be filled or messed with as often.

The nice thing about bladders is that they contract while emptying so there is less sloshing noise then driving off road. You could always build a small box for the bladder to sit in if it needs something to keep it in place and not sliding around. I have no experience with water bladders but on of the 80 guys on here has a patrol in australia that he had a custom water bladder made for that he loves. His bladder for that vehicle is a lot larger though and therefore more convenient as it doesn't have to be filled or messed with as often.
The area it would be sitting in, it would be jammed between the back of the seats and the back of the kitchen structure, so it SHOULD be fine to not move around. I could also use slotted T-nuts in the back 8020 channel to attach the bag's corner grommets to if needed.

How well does the water come out for say, the last 9/10ths of the bag? That's what I was wondering. The pump will pull water out, but would air start getting in there if the outlet wasn't always at the lowest possible point?

So just as I was typing the above comment, I got my answer about the custom water tank. I sent them a very detailed note and received this back just now. 🤨

Screenshot_20210106-091436.png

personally I am not a big fan of collapsable water tanks , simply because they and not so handy to move around .
good for extra water storage .
but not practical on a daily base .
are you sure that you are not able to find space under the car ?
I have a very good space of aprox 120 L , even more under the car .
you also lower the center of gravity that is not a bad plus

personally I am not a big fan of collapsable water tanks , simply because they and not so handy to move around .
good for extra water storage .
but not practical on a daily base .
are you sure that you are not able to find space under the car ?
I have a very good space of aprox 120 L , even more under the car .
you also lower the center of gravity that is not a bad plus
No, that's where the diesel sub tank is going. I'm actually inclined on just using the Jerry cans I already have, at least for this year. They slip in perfect on the one side above the wheel well. And then find something else to stuff in that space behind. 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom