80 Series 315s ICON lift without wheel spacers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know its been asked 345,983,090 times about tire size and lift but my question is a little more specific about a lift, tire size and 0 offset wheels without the use of wheel spacers. First off I didn't see many threads about the 91-97 Land Cruiser ICON 3" lift. The ICON site says maximum size is 33" x 11.5. Seriously.....I have seen many many posts about fitting 35s or 315s on a stock 80, let alone on a 3" lift. I have done a little homework so I do have some basic info. I'm about 100% set on Cooper STT Pro tires. Love em or hate em I've seen too many videos of them doing anything you ask of them with very little sacrifice in road comfort or noise for an MT. Considering the 295/70/17 (33.5x12x17) or 315/70/17 (34.5x12.6x17). Wheels are 17x8 with 0 offset.

My question is, are there any lifted 80 series guys or gals running 315s on 8" wheels with 0 offset WITHOUT SPACERS AND NO RUBBING? I know I can throw some 1.25" wheel spacers on with the 315s, but I'd rather not if I can stuff a 295 up in those wells and no spacers without rubbing.

Rig will not be a daily driver. It will be used for camping, travel to Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego. I would like to check off "The Rubicon" and Moab off the bucket list without destroying the rig if possible as I do plan on keeping it a long time. It is not intended to be a rock crawler (I would have bought an LS powered LJ on 40" Creepy Crawlers for that 🤔 I digress) but if any decent sized rocks get in my way I want to make short work of them with lockers and a little effort.

Thank you in advance for even reading my post.

For reference I yielded about 3.5” out of my fronts when I did the Icon lift. I am on a 35” BFG KM3 (34.6”) and I don’t rub but I’m also on a 9” wheel.

4.5” so I’m at 0 offset.

wheel width is measured from bead seat to bead seat and used to calculate offset, whereas backspacing is measured from WMS to the extreme innermost point of the wheel (not the inside bead seat); so you are probably closer to -12 ET or so, not 0.

that said, if the OP is on 0 offset 8" wide wheels, his innermost wheel edge is probably in the same or very similar plane to what yours is - which is good to know.

Backspace-Offset-Diagram-Header-840x.jpg

Last edited:
Have run 315s and 35s with the Icon lift on one of our shop rigs for a while now with zero issues. Theee different wheel setups: Procomp 17x9, Tandem Offroad 17x8.5, -10 offset, and Icon 17.x8.5, 0 offset. Please do not use spacers unless you’re a meticulous mechanic, they are a high maintenance item. Just spend the money on correctly sized wheel. Also, a handful of members here have had terrible time with the SST Pros, just a thought.

wheel width is measured from bead seat to bead seat and used to calculate offset, whereas backspacing is measured from WMS to the extreme innermost point of the wheel (not the inside bead seat); so you are probably closer to -12 ET or so, not 0.

that said, if the OP is on 0 offset 8" wide wheels, his innermost wheel edge is probably in the same or very similar plane to what yours is - which is good to know.

Yes, thank you. I knew I was off in terms of my description or explanation but I was aware that the offset was same as OEM wheel.

Very good to know. I was thinking they were so close they were almost synonymous.

Have run 315s and 35s with the Icon lift on one of our shop rigs for a while now with zero issues. Theee different wheel setups: Procomp 17x9, Tandem Offroad 17x8.5, -10 offset, and Icon 17.x8.5, 0 offset. Please do not use spacers unless you’re a meticulous mechanic, they are a high maintenance item. Just spend the money on correctly sized wheel. Also, a handful of members here have had terrible time with the SST Pros, just a thought.

That’s great news. And so I can get it out of my head, I cannot fit 37s on this setup correct.
I figured the 315/70/17 would be the same width as the 37x12.5x17 but in the Coopers the 37s are 13” wide vs the 315s are 12.6”.
I just want to get that out of my head now if it isn’t a possibility since I’ve read in several places the ICON kit nets about 3.5” minimum.

(Had 37s on my last rig and do miss em lol.)

That’s great news. And so I can get it out of my head, I cannot fit 37s on this setup correct.
I figured the 315/70/17 would be the same width as the 37x12.5x17 but in the Coopers the 37s are 13” wide vs the 315s are 12.6”.
I just want to get that out of my head now if it isn’t a possibility since I’ve read in several places the ICON kit nets about 3.5” minimum.

(Had 37s on my last rig and do miss em lol.)
@Box Rocket can tell you more about 37s and SSTs, I think. Fitting 37s is certainly possible, but requires both a little trimming and/or a body lift, along with moving the axle forward (might be a combo of these that doesn't require trimming, not sure). Have not done here (35s "just fit") so can't answer anything on them.

@Box Rocket can tell you more about 37s and SSTs, I think. Fitting 37s is certainly possible, but requires both a little trimming and/or a body lift, along with moving the axle forward (might be a combo of these that doesn't require trimming, not sure). Have not done here (35s "just fit") so can't answer anything on them.

I love the look of 37s but not worth it to me to body lift and moving the axle forward. Simple is better for me.

I'm running 17" x 7.5" wide Tundra wheels, 315 STT Pros with the ICON 3" lift.
No spacers.
No rubbing at all, but I haven't articulated to the max yet.
ICON lift gave me an honest 3" lift all the way around.

I'd skip spacers, and extend bumpstops if needed.

I could make my 295/75r16 rub on factory wheels with a 2" ironman lift. When I moved up to 315 I added 30mm spring spacers and extended bumpstops. Then only very minor inner fender rubbing that was only noticeable when you looked under and saw the dirt rubbed off.

I'd skip spacers, and extend bumpstops if needed.

I could make my 295/75r16 rub on factory wheels with a 2" ironman lift. When I moved up to 315 I added 30mm spring spacers and extended bumpstops. Then only very minor inner fender rubbing that was only noticeable when you looked under and saw the dirt rubbed off.
Where is best place to buy spacers and extended bumpstops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom