80 Series 1997 Landcruiser - Mysterious Heater Hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there. Apologies if I'm in the wrong thread! I've got a mysterious heater hose (the brown one in the middle of the picture) that's connected to the bottom of the heater unit and comes out through the firewall, but appears to go nowhere. I found it because there's water leaking from that hose but I don't know where it's supposed to be attached. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

hose.jpg

Hey there. Apologies if I'm in the wrong thread! I've got a mysterious heater hose (the brown one in the middle of the picture) that's connected to the bottom of the heater unit and comes out through the firewall, but appears to go nowhere. I found it because there's water leaking from that hose but I don't know where it's supposed to be attached. Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

View attachment 2944449
I can't match what I see in the photo to my LX450 left hand drive. Perplexing.

Thanks it's 1997. Here's a photo from the inside where the hose attaches to the heater and goes through the firewall. I'm in Melbourne, Australia so right-hand drive.

Photo 6-3-2022, 4 49 00 pm.jpg

View attachment 2944449
What is the actual problem?

Water is leaking out of the hose and I can't figure out where the open end should be attached.
Awfully dirty hose to have water leaking from.
By leak...what do you mean?
Does it leak with engine running, or does it leak regardless?
In terms of mileage, how long would you say it has been leaking?
Are you mostly street or do you trail? If you trail, what would you say is the average altitude change thereof?
Do you use green or red antifreeze?

Water is leaking out of the hose and I can't figure out where the open end should be attached.
Looks like the drain hose from your AC evap box. If that’s it, it’s supposed to leak water.

Looks like the drain hose from your AC evap box. If that’s it, it’s supposed to leak water.
That makes sense because it's not pumping out water when the engine is running. I only notice it when I come back to the vehicle after its been at rest. And yes I have been using the a/c because it's summer here in Oz. However, I am losing water somewhere as have to keep topping up the radiator and I assumed that was the problem. Thank you very much for your prognosis.

That makes sense because it's not pumping out water when the engine is running. I only notice it when I come back to the vehicle after its been at rest. And yes I have been using the a/c because it's summer here in Oz. However, I am losing water somewhere as have to keep topping up the radiator and I assumed that was the problem. Thank you very much for your prognosis.
Then I’d say that is definitely your drain hose for your AC. If you need to keep topping off your radiator, you have a coolant leak somewhere. If you can’t ever see signs of it leaking out anywhere, it could be any number of the small heater hoses that are hidden under your throttle body or close to the engine (phh). They can leak out onto a hot engine and evaporate right away, causing you to slowly loose coolant but not see any drops on the ground. It could also be a head gasket issue, but better to start with inspecting and/or replacing the heater hoses first, especially if they haven’t been replaced in a while.

The hose shown in the first photo appears to be maybe a foot long (hard to tell due to being a close-up photo) and pointing upward (was it pulled out of place for the photo?).

The correct hose for the HVAC drain, at least on a LHD FZJ80, is not normally visible in the engine bay (hidden behind a heat shield), and points down to the ground??

If however the brownish hose in the photo is actually attached to the HVAC drain nipple and is oriented upwards as in the photo then it wouldn't drain properly, at least not until the condensation (water) had reached the same level in the evaporator core box as the top of the hose.

So either it's the wrong hose or it's oriented incorrectly, or??

IDK

Then I’d say that is definitely your drain hose for your AC. If you need to keep topping off your radiator, you have a coolant leak somewhere. If you can’t ever see signs of it leaking out anywhere, it could be any number of the small heater hoses that are hidden under your throttle body or close to the engine (phh). They can leak out onto a hot engine and evaporate right away, causing you to slowly loose coolant but not see any drops on the ground. It could also be a head gasket issue, but better to start with inspecting and/or replacing the heater hoses first, especially if they haven’t been replaced in a while.
OK. Thank you all for your help.

Jen nailed it. Drain hose for evaporator. Someone extended it.

It confused my three functioning brain cells, RHD and the engine bay photo was taken from below looking up??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom