80 series 1995. Diagnosing cause of whistle from front passenger door (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PappyVan20

1995 Series 80. Mods: 2" OME w 33" K02s. No rust
Threads
I have what can only be described as a pure whistle that continually sings about 80% of the time regardless of driving conditions. No one (even seasoned LC mechanics) have been able to figure it out.

Would old weather stripping be a culprit? could it be coming from side view mirror? I certainly can try and video / record noise, but not sure what that would do. It's literally a whistle. My adult kids have actually grown up with it and feel the whistle is part of the family. But, I am tiring of it. And, my wife hates it.

I have what can only be described as a pure whistle that continually sings about 80% of the time regardless of driving conditions. No one (even seasoned LC mechanics) have been able to figure it out.

Would old weather stripping be a culprit? could it be coming from side view mirror? I certainly can try and video / record noise, but not sure what that would do. It's literally a whistle. My adult kids have actually grown up with it and feel the whistle is part of the family. But, I am tiring of it. And, my wife hates it.
Yes, your window runs and belt mouldings can be the cause of this.

There is also a "speed guide" on your window (that little tab halfway up on the front windows) that is a guide to keep your glass in the track when moving up and down at speed to keep the glass from being sucked out at the breakneck speed of the 80.

I know of one guy that had hooked a tree branch at some point of life and it bent that little bracket and didn't realize that was the cause of the noise. It's worth a look to see if it appears bent.

Otherwise, go to www.partwsouq.com and order all your window accoutrement, then install as time allows.

Just happen to have this handy:

Windows:Rubbers/Belt Moulding - F&R -
Drivers Side:
1 - 75720-60021 - FRONT MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, LH - Partsouq - $45-ish
1 - 68151-60011 - FRONT RUN, FRONT DOOR GLASS, LH
1 - 67862-60071 - FRONT WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR, LH
1 - 75740-60020 - REAR MOULDING ASSY, REAR DOOR BELT, LH - OEMPS/$55-ish
1 - 68190-60010 - REAR WEATHERSTRIP ASSY, REAR DOOR GLASS, INNER LH
1 - 68152-60011 - REAR RUN, REAR DOOR GLASS, LH
1 - 67872-60041 - REAR WEATHERSTRIP, REAR DOOR, LH
1 - 75670-60020 - REAR MOULDING, QUARTER BELT, LH
1 - 68189-60010 - REAR WEATHERSTRIP, REAR DOOR QUARTER WINDOW, LH

Passenger Side:
1 - 75710-60021 - FRONT MOULDING ASSY, FRONT DOOR BELT, RH - OEMPS/$55-ish
1 - 68141-60011 - FRONT RUN, FRONT DOOR GLASS, RH - Partsouq/$35-ish
1 - 67861-60071 - FRONT WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR, RH
1 - 75730-60020 - REAR MOULDING ASSY, REAR DOOR BELT, RH - Partsouq - $39-ish
1 - 68142-60011 - REAR RUN, REAR DOOR GLASS, RH
1 - 67871-60041 - REAR WEATHERSTRIP, REAR DOOR, RH
1 - 62741-60040 - REAR WEATHERSTRIP, QUARTER WINDOW, RH
1 - 75660-60020 - REAR MOULDING, QUARTER BELT, RH - OEMPS/$35-ish

Both sides:
2 - 68170-60030 - WEATHERSTRIP ASSY, FRONT DOOR GLASS, INNER

Back door:
1 - 67881-60060 - WEATHERSTRIP, BACK DOOR
1 - 68281-60010 - WEATHERSTRIP, LIFT GATE
1 - 68291-60050 - WEATHERSTRIP, BACK DOOR GLASS

Window glass grabber rubber -
4 - 69971-90D00 - All 4 windows

Yes, your window runs and belt mouldings can be the cause of this.

There is also a "speed guide" on your window (that little tab halfway up on the front windows) that is a guide to keep your glass in the track when moving up and down at speed to keep the glass from being sucked out at the breakneck speed of the 80.

I know of one guy that had hooked a tree branch at some point of life and it bent that little bracket and didn't realize that was the cause of the noise. It's worth a look to see if it appears bent.

Otherwise, go to www.partwsouq.com and order all your window accoutrement, then install as time allows.
Thank you very much!

my vote is for side mirror.
It’s been a mystery. I should have mentioned that the whistle stops once you “roll” window down by lije at 1/3rd. I’ve sat on passenger side trying to listen and isolate precise spot but that has been elusive too.

It’s been a mystery. I should have mentioned that the whistle stops once you “roll” window down by lije at 1/3rd. I’ve sat on passenger side trying to listen and isolate precise spot but that has been elusive too.
It could also be torn door seals that go around the door on the frame or on the door.

Start with the simple things of inspection with a flashlight and mirror.

Have you tried folding the side mirror in to see if that changes or reduces the whistle?
No because that sounds intelligent and rational.

duh. I will try that. Thanks! Seriously.

Really not sure why I didn’t try that before.

I have it too. There can be a sharp edge that will whistle if there is a gap between the mouldings where the mirror attaches to the door. Need to bevel that.

IMG_0369.JPG

I have it too. There can be a sharp edge that will whistle if there is a gap between the mouldings where the mirror attaches to the door. Need to bevel that.

View attachment 2980452
Holy Cannoli! Wow. Thanks for the insight. I have the LC in for some major work (overheating issue, front axle rebuild, suspension work...) I will let shop know as even though they are replacing weather stripping on both passenger and driver front, that issue could still persist. Maybe they don't have to do it all.

Years ago on this very forum I posted a copy of a Toyota TSB that provided the part numbers and instructions for installing a kit that elimnated the problem.

Window TSB1.jpg

@pmccumber had this on his 1995. He found it by taping the seams on the outside with masking tape, a couple at a time, until the noise went away. He followed the line and spanned across any gaps. I can't remember which seal was bad, but he found it quickly.

1652495277763.png

My 95 does this as well seems to come from pass side. 96 does not and my 94 didn’t either. I do have a leaking front windshield that is also cracked. Curious to what is found. My thoughts were to start replacing the moldings since they are old anyways Ali g with new oem front windshield gasket and new front glass

Years ago on this very forum I posted a copy of a Toyota TSB that provided the part numbers and instructions for installing a kit that elimnated the problem.
Thank you very much for this information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom