80 rear bumpers for sale? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone selling a rear bumper with a spare swingaway situation? I live in Northern Nevada, called 4x4 labs, and basically got laughter. They are 16 weeks out minimum! I tried to build my own, but the EMS racing spindle pin snapped above the weld in a matter of about 3 months. Im at the point where id rather buy a bumper. Help!

20210328_153531.jpg

20210328_153447.jpg

20210328_152157.jpg

It looks to me like it was vibration that broke it off.

The latch is just a pin?

On the pic with the broken off part and the striations in the shaft, take a pic from further away so I can see what direction the striations are in relation to the bumper.
Lateral to the gate. It wobbled on washboard, and somtimes on fwy. Thank god the failure occurred off road.

They told me their supplier has been taking long naps. Theyre 16 weeks out even for diy stuff
Right now, steel availability is off the chart slow. Also EXTREMELY expensive. Like pushing 3X what it was a year ago.

This is NOT the time to buy a NEW bumper. Wait two years. Seriously. The pricing and availability will come back.

If the tire was leaning a bit forward, it would place the COG more directly over the centerline of the spindle and had less overhung load on the spindle.

All your vibration was translated into an overhung load behind the carrier and behind the spindle.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to have a larger diameter spindle.

Also, when you weld it on next time, only weld the inboard side and the outboard side of the spindle on the top. This keeps the heat affected zone (HAZ) in an area perpendicular to the major vibration forces you will experience. Less likely to fracture that way. Welding all the way around creates a HAZ that will actually weaken the shaft.

I don’t know if it’s been recommended but the 4xinovations dual sheer spindle is the way to go. If it snaps off, you have other problems. And from what I’ve heard, the main cause of spindles snapping is the latch on the swing out being too loose. One end needs to be propped on delrin or some other “hard-ish” surface and then squished HARD down to prevent fatigue in the spindle. Or store the tire inside with something like this.
10FCA158-4EA8-4F07-80C0-943737C41820.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom