1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80 pulls hard to left with center locked

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by informationjunky, Feb 4, 2004.

1. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    ??? I'm looking at a 94 80 that drives and tracks fine until I put in low and the center locked, it pulls EXTREMELY HARD to the left. When I took it out of low and the center lock light went off, it stated traking straight again! Anyone encounter this before and what was the fix?

Thanks
    John

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Are the front tires matched and properly inflated?

3. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    Yes, they were near new Michelins, I didn't check pressurre but visually couldn't tell one or the other was low. What is confusing is that it only pulled when the center locked.

4. landtoy80

landtoy80

The the owner it need $4000 in repairs and deduct it from the asking price:)

5. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    You might get under it and pull the cdl plug on the transfer case. If it's in 4 low then you'll be able to rule out the cdl if the symptoms cease.

IMO it doesn't sound like a cdl problem, as there would not be any left/right bias being transmitted to either the front or rear ends.

-H-

6. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

How about a broken axle or stripped end plates on the right hand side? In high range the VC is masking the problem.

7. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Hey lets throw in a broken Birf :D. Actually I think PPC might be on to something. I'd shift in to lo range so the center diff is locked and then jack up that right front tire and see if you can rotate it. If you can, something Broke.

8. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

WALK AWAY FROM IT UNLESS YOU CAN STEAL IT

9. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    [quote author=Tenncrusher link=board=2;threadid=11008;start=msg99300#msg99300 date=1075937464]
    WALK AWAY FROM IT UNLESS YOU CAN STEAL IT
    [/quote]
    Thats my thoughts now. Its on e-bay, local to atlanta, kind of changing my thoughts about buying one on there. The front seats seem to be repaired with something other than leather, and it also has had the front end painted, althought the owner claimed to not have noticed, I searched the internet and found he sells classic cars. Someone who would definately notice orange peal in a paint job.

10. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Just a FYI while on the subject of doing backgroung research on sellers. In my state, Missouri, there's a state court website where you can search by a person's name/and or location and view all court records pertaining to them. Everything from traffic tickets to criminal charges, etc. I would guess many states have something similar. Just do a yahoo search for, "your state" "case" and "net" (3 separate words). I almost bought a vehicle from someone until I saw they had a pending law suit for "automobile breach of contract" as well as some other fraud-related stuff. It's also fun to look up your neighbors!

11. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=11008;start=msg99670#msg99670 date=1075991730]
    Just a FYI while on the subject of doing backgroung research on sellers. In my state, Missouri, there's a state court website where you can search by a person's name/and or location and view all court records pertaining to them. Everything from traffic tickets to criminal charges, etc. I would guess many states have something similar. Just do a yahoo search for, "your state" "case" and "net" (3 separate words). I almost bought a vehicle from someone until I saw they had a pending law suit for "automobile breach of contract" as well as some other fraud-related stuff. It's also fun to look up your neighbors!
    [/quote]

Thanks MoJ, I'll try that since I also live in the Springfield area.

12. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

My guess is there something in the front end that's broken. It creates enough resistance that the front vc is slipping when the diffs unlocked. sounds really expensive. Let somebody that doesn't test drive it in low buy it.

Depending on how you feel about helping your fellow man, you could e-mail the highest bidder and warn him/her. OTH, it's their problem if they don't test drive it properly and ask questions as you did.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">