80 pulls hard to left with center locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? I'm looking at a 94 80 that drives and tracks fine until I put in low and the center locked, it pulls EXTREMELY HARD to the left. When I took it out of low and the center lock light went off, it stated traking straight again! Anyone encounter this before and what was the fix?

Thanks
John

Are the front tires matched and properly inflated?

Yes, they were near new Michelins, I didn't check pressurre but visually couldn't tell one or the other was low. What is confusing is that it only pulled when the center locked.

You might get under it and pull the cdl plug on the transfer case. If it's in 4 low then you'll be able to rule out the cdl if the symptoms cease.

IMO it doesn't sound like a cdl problem, as there would not be any left/right bias being transmitted to either the front or rear ends.

-H-

How about a broken axle or stripped end plates on the right hand side? In high range the VC is masking the problem.

Hey lets throw in a broken Birf :D. Actually I think PPC might be on to something. I'd shift in to lo range so the center diff is locked and then jack up that right front tire and see if you can rotate it. If you can, something Broke.

[quote author=Tenncrusher link=board=2;threadid=11008;start=msg99300#msg99300 date=1075937464]
WALK AWAY FROM IT UNLESS YOU CAN STEAL IT
[/quote]
Thats my thoughts now. Its on e-bay, local to atlanta, kind of changing my thoughts about buying one on there. The front seats seem to be repaired with something other than leather, and it also has had the front end painted, althought the owner claimed to not have noticed, I searched the internet and found he sells classic cars. Someone who would definately notice orange peal in a paint job.

Just a FYI while on the subject of doing backgroung research on sellers. In my state, Missouri, there's a state court website where you can search by a person's name/and or location and view all court records pertaining to them. Everything from traffic tickets to criminal charges, etc. I would guess many states have something similar. Just do a yahoo search for, "your state" "case" and "net" (3 separate words). I almost bought a vehicle from someone until I saw they had a pending law suit for "automobile breach of contract" as well as some other fraud-related stuff. It's also fun to look up your neighbors!

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=11008;start=msg99670#msg99670 date=1075991730]
Just a FYI while on the subject of doing backgroung research on sellers. In my state, Missouri, there's a state court website where you can search by a person's name/and or location and view all court records pertaining to them. Everything from traffic tickets to criminal charges, etc. I would guess many states have something similar. Just do a yahoo search for, "your state" "case" and "net" (3 separate words). I almost bought a vehicle from someone until I saw they had a pending law suit for "automobile breach of contract" as well as some other fraud-related stuff. It's also fun to look up your neighbors!
[/quote]

Thanks MoJ, I'll try that since I also live in the Springfield area.

My guess is there something in the front end that's broken. It creates enough resistance that the front vc is slipping when the diffs unlocked. sounds really expensive. Let somebody that doesn't test drive it in low buy it.

Depending on how you feel about helping your fellow man, you could e-mail the highest bidder and warn him/her. OTH, it's their problem if they don't test drive it properly and ask questions as you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom