80 PROOF Croozan (mercedeezel's 1994 FZJ80) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy everyone. Just thought I’d start a thread to track the build progress on my 1994 Land Cruiser. I picked it up shortly after parting ways with my much loved 1984 4runner :crybaby:.

We needed something the whole family could enjoy and it didn’t take long to decide on an 80. The wife and I love the lines on the 80 series, the kids appreciate the room and the dog loves the rear sliding windows. It’s a well-executed design IMO.

This will be more of a family excursion/camping rig than a hardcore wheeler.
Lots of PM needed:
-tune up done on 6/29/2013
-diagnose code 7
-front crank seal
-distributor o-ring
-oil pump gasket
-oil drain plug threads in the pan that I stripped this weekend

Planned Mods:
-285/75/16 mud tires purchased on 6/3/2013
-running board delete
-flare delete
-mild lift (either 2.5” lift or stock height OME lift)
-rear Aussie locker
-sliders
-skid plate
-winch behind factory bumper
-drawer system
-monstaline the hood and roof (faded paint so why not?)

20130624_184141.jpg

Last edited:
285/75/16 Definity Dakota M/T

1st mod - tires

I'm thinking to play with the white letters so that it says "EFIN YOTA". Not sure I can swing the "Y" out of the K in DAKOTA. I don't want any reference to any Chrysler products on my YOTA ;p

20130703_165145.jpg

20130703_165201.jpg

I have had two sets of those tires and pushed 100K miles with first set and a bunch still on current set. Debating on getting a third.

I have had two sets of those tires and pushed 100K miles with first set and a bunch still on current set. Debating on getting a third.

how'd you get 100k out of the set? that's amazing. i'm guessing you got the spare into the rotation.

added white knuckle off road sliders and deleted the factory flares. still waiting on front springs so i can lift the damn thing. I have OME 862 rears and doetsch-tech shocks ready to go in.

20130831_115343.jpg

20130831_115357.jpg

You are doing a lot of the same things that I am doing. You might want to lose/ check the roof racks for corrosion while you are doing the flare area.

I really need to lose my flares...

Lookin' good!

Looks good!!! I made the exact switch but in my case parted from my 85 4Runner to a 91 LC... No complaints here too... The 4 doors make a world of a difference and the style factor has gone up!!!!

What is your impression of the White Knuckle Sliders? I am thinking of fabricating a set of box steel, no step side but those ones look good.

What is your impression of the White Knuckle Sliders? I am thinking of fabricating a set of box steel, no step side but those ones look good.

i'm very pleased with them. i originally wanted the metal tech sliders but it would have cost almost double the price of the WKOR sliders with shipping. there are plenty of good reviews on mud so once i got the quote on the lead time and total cost from John at WKOR, it was a no brainer. these things are heavy dooty! i feel sorry for the UPS guy that had to bring them to my door. i think the package was 150lbs shipping weight. also, the welds look 1st class and it looks like John did his homework on the design. the flange that bolts up to the frame on the passenger side fit perfectly, everything lines up like it came from the factory. no weird gaps or anything. the one thing (being very nit picky here) i wish is that the rectangular section directly under the rockers would be a touch longer in the front. if i had left my flares on, it would look perfect. i think this is where the metal techs get my vote because their sliders give really good coverage on a flare-less vehicle. if i had to do it again, i'd still choose WKOR. i'm sure i can lengthen them in the front corners easily but no way i could have swung a DIY set of sliders with comparable fit and quality for the price they are asking. i got the longest model they offer for the 80 series, uncoated. i primered and coated the myself with roll on rustoleum truck bed liner.

getting there

just an update:

lost the roof rack, installed a rear Aussie Locker, slee caster plates, 30mm rear spring spacers, OME 862 rear springs, TJM 770FRHD80B (J-spring equivalent), and ghetto fabbed some front and rears sway bar drop brackets. She sits pretty level unloaded but i wish i went with the non J springs. The pic below is with it loaded up with about 150 lbs of camping gear so there is some sag when loaded.

20130928_093049.jpg

on the trail

finally got it out on a trail, that aussie locker is ace!

228.jpg

230.jpg

235.jpg

free ramsey 8000 winch

i scored a free winch from a buddy and decided to try my hand at mounting it behind the front bumper. the plate i used was the universal mount from Summit Racing. When i mocked it up, the winch stuck out from the frame a bit further than i liked. it was contacting the little bracket the ATF cooler mounts on. I notched the bracket a bit and that helped tuck the winch in closer. one thing about the summit plate is that there are existing holes that might coincide with the holes you need to drill. I had to offset the hole centers a bit to avoid breaking into the existing holes. maybe some of the other universal winch plates are different and dont have this issue.

20131027_161053.jpg

20131027_161104.jpg

20131103_164333.jpg

20131103_140314.jpg

20131103_164541.jpg

semi finished winch mounting

i'm now at a bit of a crossroads becasue i like the bumperless look. i might just trim the stock bumper for now but i'm thinking to try my hand at building a bumper around the winch plate. we shall see....

20131103_164519.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom