80 owner needs some drive shaft help to save vacation. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: shaft just delivered to a UPS store in Pueblo. Off to pick it up and install. May try to do it in a harbor freight parking lot in case there is a tool I need.
Delivered in just over 24 hours
You can’t beat that !!
That kind of service is hard to come by in this day and age !

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here it is. Zerks are loose from being against the box and banging around in the ups truck. The clips don’t allow you to get a 7mm socket on to tighten them. Snugged with needle nose as best I could.

Update: shaft just delivered to a UPS store in Pueblo. Off to pick it up and install. May try to do it in a harbor freight parking lot in case there is a tool I need.
smart. very smart.

around here, the autozone or advance auto parking lot is a popular wrenching spot. never seen anyone wrenching outside of HF.

smart. very smart.

around here, the autozone or advance auto parking lot is a popular wrenching spot. never seen anyone wrenching outside of HF.
Better selection of tool at HF. Better selection of parts at the autozone or advanced.

Last edited:
how much slip joint do you still have engaged? Did you measure for the shaft. You have caster drop brackets and that would change shaft length. That shaft looks too short.
I think it's fine, they have you measure before building a shaft. It looks like mine. You can see the blue in the picture and it's a long spline shaft.
For reference it has 2.3/4" of spline showing and the part it slip into is 6" long.
1688827306614.png

PS Christo it was great to meet and chat with you at Cruise Moab vendor nite !! Richard

how much slip joint do you still have engaged? Did you measure for the shaft. You have caster drop brackets and that would change shaft length. That shaft looks too short.
Tom Woods had me give them my flange to flange measurement as the truck sits. The shaft is made for the truck. I called you guys first though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

My front shafts have a collapsed length of 31-1/4”.

And the slip is a little different in that the dust shield hides the splines from view but the engagement of the splines is 4” for the first 1-1/2” of travel.

So while it looks weird to a Toyota guy it’s basically the same.

View attachment 3367886

View attachment 3367888

Here it is. Zerks are loose from being against the box and banging around in the ups truck. The clips don’t allow you to get a 7mm socket on to tighten them. Snugged with needle nose as best I could.
In a pinch some needle nose visegrips might be able to reach in there and grab the zerks to tighten them? But i am no drive shaft expert.

In a pinch some needle nose visegrips might be able to reach in there and grab the zerks to tighten them? But i am no drive shaft expert.
I used some pretty heavy regular needle nose pliers to tighten them. I have quite a few tools with me but not needle nose vice grips.

My front shafts have a collapsed length of 31-1/4”.

And the slip is a little different in that the dust shield hides the splines from view but the engagement of the splines is 4” for the first 1-1/2” of travel.

So while it looks weird to a Toyota guy it’s basically the same.
The dust shield is available from TW, you just have to order it that way ;)

I got to replace the flange on the driveshaft, is front T-case bolt pattern 66mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom