80 owner needs some drive shaft help to save vacation. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My DC shaft grenaded in the middle of Utah, on the freeway, doing about 80mph. I consider myself extremely lucky that all I got was a dented trans pan. Could have been so, so much worse. Pulled the mangles mess of a shaft, locked the center diff and motored on my way to Phoenix where I found a shop that fabbed me a new shaft same day.

View attachment 3366922
Yeah you were definitely lucky on a few fronts. I’m glad mine didn’t come apart on me. I started feeling some extra vibration on the freeway for about 20 miles but then when I slowed down at the end of an exit ramp it started shaking like crazy. I drove another 200 yards to a gas station and pulled it in the parking lot at 2:30am. Dodged a bullet I think. All the needle bearings in the center section are gone.

Mo betta and cheaper OEM part numbers:

Washers: 90560-10H00 x2
Nuts: 90178-10006 x8
Bolts: 90105-10424 x4

@OGBeno : Are those part numbers supercessions to the original numbers
or specific/better for the DC shaft or??

Thanks

@Dubbinchris just curious if this was a random failure due to age or lack of lubrication? Whens the last time that center ball was lubed? Glad you got it sorted out in a timely manner too!

@Dubbinchris just curious if this was a random failure due to age or lack of lubrication? Whens the last time that center ball was lubed? Glad you got it sorted out in a timely manner too!
I’ve discovered now that the center ball needs lubed. I’m great about greasing the driveline but was unaware that could or needed to be done. So yes totally my fault. Someone at Tom Woods told me this is a common oversight and thus a common failure on the DC joints. I did manage at least 60k out of this one. Slightly expensive lesson to learn but glad it’s likely going to work out.

Is that a plug in place of a zerk fitting?

FZJ80 Double Carden U-joint failure.jpg

Last edited:
I think so. New shaft will have instructions. Lol

Edit: they did say it takes a needle adapter.
Tom Woods is great, I have both front and soon to be rear shafts from them. They send a plastic adapter to grease to the center ball with. It doesnt reach the lube point with the shaft installed and I broke it the first time I tried to use it. I suggest this... works great!

Amazon product ASIN B0779FK9CZ

Tom Woods is great, I have both front and soon to be rear shafts from them. They send a plastic adapter to grease to the center ball with. It doesnt reach the lube point with the shaft installed and I broke it the first time I tried to use it. I suggest this... works great!

Amazon product ASIN B0779FK9CZ
Yeah they mentioned I might have to pull the front if the shaft each time. :/

Does this lock n lube one reach?

If you get the angle just right and push hard enough to make the needle seat and seal good, yes it works with the front shaft installed.

Tom Woods for the win.
I run their DC front shaft, super fast in house service and helpful people that actually answer the phone !!

I understood that you had to pull the front shaft to lube it and it's supposed to be like every 3000 miles. If that's really the case, I would never have one. (Spicer)
I think it depends on the brand used because there are factory Toyota DC shafts that don't need lubed that often.

That's the story I got when we rebuilt the truck for a guys old friends that had the shaft grenade on them in the way into Kansas City.

I don't have one and have no experience with using one on my truck, so my input is only after the fact and I've seen a few failures.

Just make sure to ask the questions.

Does that center section call for a Moly (Molybdenum) fortified grease? No experience with DC shafts but seems like that type of ball socket should get a heavy dose of Moly ie: an EP grease with 5% Moly.

Does that center section call for a Moly (Molybdenum) fortified grease? No experience with DC shafts but seems like that type of ball socket should get a heavy dose of Moly ie: an EP grease with 5% Moly.
It has needle bearings and a cap in the center.

If you get the angle just right and push hard enough to make the needle seat and seal good, yes it works with the front shaft installed.
The fitment on their DC end isn't as easy to get wrenches on to drop for greasing (bought the thinnest 6pt box-end I could find locally), but if doing a couple times a year, not a big deal. I prefer to leave it in place... bit finicky, but the needle works.

I have a plews 05-019, pretty much same adapter. Get a visual on the fitting, then you kinda have to feel around with the needle until the tip seats, ya know?

Called Tom Woods and gave them all the measurements and they are going to build me a new one ans overnight it. I have an address in Colorado Springs a friend of a friend I can ship to. They are going to send new hardware as well. I think I’m just going to keep rolling west on my rear shaft at this point. I appreciate all the help with the possible parts hookup and also for sending me in the right direction in the first place.

Put a Tom Woods DC shaft on my old 94LC and it ran like butter- all the center vibes went away... silver lining, bet you're getting better MPG powering only the rear...

Put a Tom Woods DC shaft on my old 94LC and it ran like butter- all the center vibes went away... silver lining, bet you're getting better MPG powering only the rear...
Gas mileage will be unchanged because the front axle is still pushing because it's being turned by the front tires.........

Gas mileage will be unchanged because the front axle is still pushing because it's being turned by the front tires.........
One less shaft to spin perhaps.

Update: shaft just delivered to a UPS store in Pueblo. Off to pick it up and install. May try to do it in a harbor freight parking lot in case there is a tool I need.

Update: shaft just delivered to a UPS store in Pueblo. Off to pick it up and install. May try to do it in a harbor freight parking lot in case there is a tool I need.
I'll be in Pueblo tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom