80 owner needs some drive shaft help to save vacation. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wasn’t sure where to post this. I’m on a trip from Ohio to Colorado for a week and half. The center of the double cardan has failed badly on my front drive shaft. I managed to pull it at 2am in closed gas station parking lot outside of Kansas City and am now able to drive with the CDL engaged. It’s 3:30 am and I’m camped a little east of Topeka about 10 miles off I-70.

Does anyone know of a source for a new one between here and somewhere in CO or a place that could rebuild mine on Friday? I’ve replaced many u-joints and do most of my own wrenching but am unfamiliar nor have the tools along to deal with the center of a double carden. My first thought was SLEE as I’m sure I could get there. Their website shows their shafts out of stock but I’m going to call in the morning and see what they say. I’m open to other suggestions.

Anyway, again it’s 3:30am local time and I’ve been driving since noon yesterday. I’m going to crash and check this thread in the morning. I’d love for this to not ruin my off-roading trip.

Thanks 80 crew.

Chris

I'm seeing a LC resto shop in Belle Plaine (316-992-5986). Slight detour for you but "along the way".

Limping to CO may be a better bet for shops...

I’d check with a toyota dealer in Kansas City as there is (was?) a distribution center there for toyota parts and likely could get it the same day. I’m basing this info on when I lived in KC back in the 90s and had an fj40

Wasn’t sure where to post this. I’m on a trip from Ohio to Colorado for a week and half. The center of the double cardan has failed badly on my front drive shaft. I managed to pull it at 2am in closed gas station parking lot outside of Kansas City and am now able to drive with the CDL engaged. It’s 3:30 am and I’m camped a little east of Topeka about 10 miles off I-70.

Does anyone know of a source for a new one between here and somewhere in CO or a place that could rebuild mine on Friday? I’ve replaced many u-joints and do most of my own wrenching but am unfamiliar nor have the tools along to deal with the center of a double carden. My first thought was SLEE as I’m sure I could get there. Their website shows their shafts out of stock but I’m going to call in the morning and see what they say. I’m open to other suggestions.

Anyway, again it’s 3:30am local time and I’ve been driving since noon yesterday. I’m going to crash and check this thread in the morning. I’d love for this to not ruin my off-roading trip.

Thanks 80 crew.

Chris
Inland Truck Parts can build custom DS or can rebuild one you have. Olathe KS, 800-223-7559.
1370 S Hamilton Circle
Olathe, KS 66061

Also, in Topeka is:
4x4 Land
5620 South Topeka Boulevard
Topeka, KS 66609
785-862-8008
They do lots of custom Jeep builds. They did a lot of work for me on my son's GMC.

If you need a hand let me know.

You are about 45 minutes from me.

Otherwise, @2fpower @kc_chevota @cjmoon
may have spare parts.

I woukd also check with jeep offroad shops and possibly big rig truck shops. They may be able to help.

Could you put a stock driveshaft in to continue the trip? Or are driveline angles very extreme? Might be easier to find a stock part?

Landtank and Slee would be at the top of my list, also Tom Woods is in Utah. They could possibly help, they have a couple of different options for DC 80 shafts, not sure if any of those are stocked items or not.

I'd throw a vote in for Tom Woods. A couple years ago I needed a custom DC shaft and SYE for my Blazer in a pinch. They walked me through the measurements, built and shipped a shaft and the SYE kit the same day, and it was in my hands by 9am the next morning.

-Rob

Thanks for all the amazing replies already. There is a shop 14 miles from my camp spot near Topeka that I’m going to try calling here first. Should have posted a pic of the shaft earlier.
IMG_6947.jpeg
IMG_6946.jpeg
IMG_6948.jpeg

Thanks for all the amazing replies already. There is a shop 14 miles from my camp spot near Topeka that I’m going to try calling here first. Should have posted a pic of the shaft earlier. View attachment 3366782View attachment 3366783View attachment 3366784
Thank goodness you caught that before it grenaded!

I've seen the results of 70 MPH and having the DC joint come apart. Tore a hole in the floor, cut wiring, exploded the bell housing, busted the transmission case.

Good Luck!

Goodluck

Inland Truck Parts can build custom DS or can rebuild one you have. Olathe KS, 800-223-7559.
1370 S Hamilton Circle
Olathe, KS 66061

Also, in Topeka is:
4x4 Land
5620 South Topeka Boulevard
Topeka, KS 66609
785-862-8008
They do lots of custom Jeep builds. They did a lot of work for me on my son's GMC.

If you need a hand let me know.

You are about 45 minutes from me.

Otherwise, @2fpower @kc_chevota @cjmoon
may have spare parts.
4x4 land sent me to a truck shop down the road from them. Really nice guy who knows I’m in a pinch is tearing it apart right now to see if he has the parts to fix it. Center ball/housing has cracked.

Called SLEE and they have nothing in stock, not even the hardware.

Tom Woods isn’t answering their phone yet this morning.

Even if this local shop can help me or another shop for that matter I still need to track down some new hardware. I got those nuts off by the skin of my teeth. I’m okay reusing hardware in a pinch but these are in rough shape.

4x4 land sent me to a truck shop down the road from them. Really nice guy who knows I’m in a pinch is tearing it apart right now to see if he has the parts to fix it. Center ball/housing has cracked.

Called SLEE and they have nothing in stock, not even the hardware.

Tom Woods isn’t answering their phone yet this morning.

Even if this local shop can help me or another shop for that matter I still need to track down some new hardware. I got those nuts off by the skin of my teeth. I’m okay reusing hardware in a pinch but these are in rough shape.
Are these the stock nuts on the front DS?

Olathe Toyota has quick access to the local warehouse. They can have anything you order before 10:00 AM by 2:00 PM today.

Olathe Toyota 913-782-1370. Tanner is the parts guy and will do well.
Kenny Thomas Olathe Toyota
685 North Rawhide Road
Olathe, KS 66061

Tell him you are a member of the Tornado Alley Cruisers and it will save you a considerable amount.

I am 5 miles from their location. Let me know if you need me to help in any way.

There is a Toyota dealer in Topeka, but they don't give a hoot about LC. They also will NOT go out of their way to help.

Olathe Toyota stocks a number of items for our trucks because there are so many of us in this area.

Stock front DS hardware:
Diff End:
Bolt: 90105-10085 (Qty 4)
Nut: 90179-10059 (Qty 4)
Washer: 90204-10002 (Qty 4)

TCase end:

Stock front DS hardware:
Diff End:
Bolt: 90105-10085 (Qty 4)

TCase end:

Mo betta and cheaper OEM part numbers:

Washers: 90560-10H00 x2
Nuts: 90178-10006 x8
Bolts: 90105-10424 x4

Are these the stock nuts on the front DS?

Olathe Toyota has quick access to the local warehouse. They can have anything you order before 10:00 AM by 2:00 PM today.

Olathe Toyota 913-782-1370. Tanner is the parts guy and will do well.
Kenny Thomas Olathe Toyota
685 North Rawhide Road
Olathe, KS 66061

Tell him you are a member of the Tornado Alley Cruisers and it will save you a considerable amount.

I am 5 miles from their location. Let me know if you need me to help in any way.

There is a Toyota dealer in Topeka, but they don't give a hoot about LC. They also will NOT go out of their way to help.

Olathe Toyota stocks a number of items for our trucks because there are so many of us in this area.
I appreciate all your help here. This local place pulled apart the joint and it’s hosed. I need a whole new shaft. Called Tom Woods and gave them all the measurements and they are going to build me a new one ans overnight it. I have an address in Colorado Springs a friend of a friend I can ship to. They are going to send new hardware as well. I think I’m just going to keep rolling west on my rear shaft at this point. I appreciate all the help with the possible parts hookup and also for sending me in the right direction in the first place.
IMG_6950.jpeg

My DC shaft grenaded in the middle of Utah, on the freeway, doing about 80mph. I consider myself extremely lucky that all I got was a dented trans pan. Could have been so, so much worse. Pulled the mangles mess of a shaft, locked the center diff and motored on my way to Phoenix where I found a shop that fabbed me a new shaft same day.

IMG_3745.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom