80 owner here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to add a 60 or a 62 in the near future. Not sure between a 60 or a 62. I know the 62 has F.I. and the 60 is carb. I want to know which is more reliable, not concerned with which is faster, reliability is key. Also which year 60 series is the most sought after and why. Thanks!!

Too hard of a question. They are probably equally reliable. Earlier 60s dont have a computer and are manual transmission, a plus in my book for simplicity. 62s are in the US are of course FI which is a plus.
It just comes down to preference. I prefer 60s because of the carb, round headlights, and no power doors/windows and I like manuals over autos any day.

The 60 and 62 are basically the same thing except the 62 has more gismos. It is not any less reliable, it just has more things that can break.
If you want an automatic, get a 62.
If you want a standard get a 60.
Late model 1985 FJ60s, and up, have a few nice improvements. The only big plus is that the h55 5 speed is a bolt in conversion. Other than that there are only a few things that are more heavy duty than the earlier models.

If you have a FJ80, mechanically a 62 isn't very different, except for the suspension.

Of the FJ60's, the later models are more desireable, IMO. The 1987 FJ60 that I own has been extremely reliable. I like the carb and manual combination better than an automatic, as I have more control over the vehicle when navigating in the hills. I did add the H55F 5 speed for better highway driveability, and changed out the suspension for OME.

The FJ62 has more leaves in the spring pack than the FJ60. I do not know if this helped any with ride or spring life, tho'.

One other difference, which may matter to you, is that the US model FJ60 was supplied with 3.73 RE gears, and the FJ62 with 4.11 gears. They are swappable - and bolt right up. If you are planning on running 33" or larger tires, the 4.11 gearing is probably superior.

With the exception of the automatic and use of the 3F FI engine, and the two differences I mentioned above, these models are otherwise very similar, and most parts are readily interchanegable.

M

Don't overlook the niceness of NOT HAVING electric windows(60). Other than that, go on auto vs. man trans. Toyota fuel injection is the most reliable kind there is, so that's NOT an issue. Most 60's at this point in history need new springs, period, no matter how many miles or how they're taken care of. Can't say about 62's, though.

Mike S said:
One other difference, which may matter to you, is that the US model FJ60 was supplied with 3.73 RE gears, and the FJ62 with 4.11 gears. They are swappable - and bolt right up. If you are planning on running 33" or larger tires, the 4.11 gearing is probably superior.

good shot .. Mike .. I thought is much more reliable a 2F engine then FJ-60 and swap the 4.11 from a 62 TLC .. then suspension and 33" nice and easy.

Guess I'll go with a 84-87 with a H55F and 4.11's. Now I dont want to start with which is the best color. :)

I ended up buying a 62 because there is no way I could look at that 60 dash every day on my way to work. If I drove a 60 I'd have to put a paper bag over the dash and conjure up the 62 version in my mind. Ok, I'm joking but not really. Buy a 62..............do it...........do it

i have a 62 without power windows. much better than my friends that has the power option. his windows barely roll up and the locks seem to struggle. it is also in a humid enviroment (houston).

My Non-USA FJ62 have almost everything from factory what USA 60/62 owners want.
Carburetor 3F motor, fully manual door and window control, No emission craps, manual transmission, vinyl interior & floor mat which has 'toyota land cruiser' emblem on it(dust Free!), and barn door.
I'm proud of my lovely FJ62 :D

Oh, Min Seok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom