80 or 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've been scouring the forum for the last couple of days. I'm a member of several automotive related forums and this is one the best. Lots of good information here. I actually joined in '04 but never posted. Anyway, after much soul searching and wife convincing, I've decided to submit to a Cruiser. Here's where I need some help: a '95-'97 80 or a '98-'99 100? I will use it mainly to tow my 2500 lb. boat, but I use some pretty nasty boat ramps. So what should I get and what options should I look for, and do I need locking diffs?

Thanks a ton (actually 2 and half tons),

bryan c

If that is all you are wanting to do with it I would get the 100. 80's are better if you are going to wheel it. IMO

So many considerations here.

You need to interview yourself and define your needs.
How much do you want to spend on the car?
Do you want a "car-like" ride on the hiway?
Do you prefer a solid front axle or IFS?
Do you want a V8?
Do you want a 6?
Do you maintain your own vehicle?

A 2,500 lb trailer would be handled by either vehicle and both will shrug off boat ramps easily.
A 100 will cost you more to aquire and will have more of a car like ride on the hiway. The 80 has very good hiway manners for a solid axle vehicle and I prefer the ride. The 80 is easier to lift and is better (how much better is a dead horse, well beaten) off road.

bryan c said:
Hey guys, I've been scouring the forum for the last couple of days. I'm a member of several automotive related forums and this is one the best. Lots of good information here. I actually joined in '04 but never posted. Anyway, after much soul searching and wife convincing, I've decided to submit to a Cruiser. Here's where I need some help: a '95-'97 80 or a '98-'99 100? I will use it mainly to tow my 2500 lb. boat, but I use some pretty nasty boat ramps. So what should I get and what options should I look for, and do I need locking diffs?

Thanks a ton (actually 2 and half tons),

bryan c
IMO, you should get a 100. Buying an 80 won't give you anymore time to go boating. You're going to be too busy modding it. :D

Id vote for the 80. The 96-97s are the last year of the 80 series and have all the toys for that series.

The 100 series may be a tad bit quicker on the highway, but you'll never notice that when pulling a boat. The 100 series didnt seem to get nice until after the 2000 model, and doesnt get the fancy toys until the last few years from what Ive been reading.

as much as I hate to say this, I'd go for the 100. other than a timming belt to change, you don't have to repack birfield joints. in near stock form both wheel the same. It seems it's harder and harder to find well maintained 80's, such as the seat leather, paint etc. I'd recomend finding a 100 with the 4 pinion front diff and traction control.

Get an 80...

You should go out and drive both models back to back if you can and see which one "feels" better to you. As the others have said, both will fit your needs easily, but there are certainly some differences in ride etc. In stock form, the 80 leans more to off-road applications and the 100 leans more toward the DD/family hauler side IMHO. Either way you cant go wrong. If you are do-it-yourself guy, this is a great place for information.

We want some pics when you pick it up.:cheers:

Thanks for the advice guys, it helps a lot. My other vehicle is an '02 Z28, and I just sold my '72 Suburban, so I'm very familiar with the mod virus. I'm also a do-it-yourself guy.

More questions of course:

I forgot to mention, but price is also a factor; I need to stay under $16k including any immediate needed maintenance, tires, battery, etc. Can I get a good 100 for that?

Do these trucks (80 or 100) have limited slip front or rear diffs?

What are birfield joints and how often and how much of a pain is it to repack them?

Modding I like, maintenance not so much. It seems from what I've read so far, in general, for same mileage vehicles, a 100 ('98 or '99) would be less maintenance than an 80. Do you agree?

Thanks again and any other advice, warnings, and flippant remarks are welcome.

with the under $16k, I would go with the 80 to cover maintenance item.

Limited slip - some 80's have an option with front and rear lockers, this is better than a limited slip.

Take a look at the Front axle rebuild thread and that will show you what a birf is. Every 5 years of 60,000 miles is good PM. Some do it more, some less.

Yer only gonna find a BEAT 100 at that price, whereas you can get a really nice lowmileage 80 for the same amount.
Where are you located? Heated seats or rear ac could be an issue....How many kids? How tall are you? etc. I find the 100 to be much more comfy, but I like the looks of the 80 better, and I like the offroad capability. I am also on a budget. Probly graduate to the 100 in a couple years for the family hauler, but will keep the 80 for the trail.
Good luck,
Dan

go for the 80. if you have been perusing the site for a while, you know that the mod bug is very contagious. once you get one, you'll want the 80 for it's relative ease of modifications (and off road prowess). go for the lockers, too. otherwise you'll regret it. I know i do. :doh:

:cheers:

If your plans include wheel it .. go 80 series .. you can wheel and hard a 100 series, but how much .. I don't reall y know right now the 100 series limit. Also are more expensive ( for sure ) to lift ..

To me it would be a no brainer get a 100 series. That was until you threw out the $16,000 price. For that amount I would go find a clean 80/LX that has been well cared for. You should be able to find one for enough below $16,000 to leave yourself enough money for unforseen repairs. I don't care how nice of a car you buy, you should always figure you are going to have to fix a few minor things within the first month or two and plan accordingly.

How tall are you? If you are over 6'2" get the 100. Six feet or under, get the 80.

I'm serious. The 80 series offer cramped quarters for larger people. The 100's are much larger.

spartan said:
How tall are you? If you are over 6'2" get the 100. Six feet or under, get the 80.

I'm serious. The 80 series offer cramped quarters for larger people. The 100's are much larger.

Larger people:confused: Have you seen Norcaldoug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom