80 horn contact plunger replacement intel (EDIT: make that 95-97 SRS/horn clock spring) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are complicating this thread by reposting the same screenshots over and over.

Don't go to NAPA to get an OE part.

I looked up the part on Megazip and confirmed it through numerous Toyota sites. They all show the number I listed as as the superseding part number for 95-97 LC and your LX450.

Order from a place like McGeorge and give them your VIN. If you get a part you're not sure of from overseas, the return shipping/restock fee will destroy any possible savings.

76D80DE8-25F2-4347-9D99-BB007EBCC970.gif

toyota dealer forgot to order the clock spring. so it so it will be another three days for a new one.
meanwhile some intel i the clock spring. also i am going to try those electrical tests when i get a minute.
anyway you definitely need to read the FSM for the airbag. they require 90 seconds after you disconnect the battery (and some other stuff) before pulling the airbag. they want you to place it padding side up at all times (not metal side up). don't leave in a hot car etcetera.
on remove of the steering wheel it is best to mark the splines first. but if you don't you can just put the wheels facing straight and it is not all that hard if you have some dexterity and see how the wheels are pointing to tell which of the two spline options to put the wheel on.
then on the clock spring this is also reasonably straightforward if you forget where it was when you pulled it.
basically there is a red arrow on the inner housing and a red arrow on the outer housing. and it is six total turns of that clock spring.
so if you go counterclockwise all the way and three turns clockwise and align the red arrows you are at center point.
if you want to double check you can go all the way counterclockwise, all the way clockwise (six turns) then come back three turns and align the red marks and you will be at the center again.
then the wheel goes on easy enough.
anyway wanted to update on this clock spring in the 95-97.

21C0FAC0-0406-4641-986E-5E9A4546090D.jpeg

AAF95498-FD85-4D85-B621-D41C2FD258CE.jpeg

588B2F06-C1E3-4930-9EE2-75D2027752C8.jpeg

Have you called a Lexus dealer, gave them your VIN and simply asked what the part number is that comes up in their system?
yeah. i could try that. thanks a lot. because the toyota dealer is down the road and they are pretty down to earth i usually go there for stuff.
but you're right i have gone to lexus for the keys and the radio so they could confirm i guess. i think @zapartius and @WCBlueSky were right on about the part number. it was just a lot of data i was not used to and the truck is part way out back together.
basically i was worried about buying a $200 part from overseas that didn't fit so apologies for re-asking about a part i was going to buy on my own post.
i know it makes some people's heads explode!
anyway it is coming in for a bit more to the toyota dealer. for $270 it is not a bad "peace of mind" part to replace i think.
of mind

You are complicating this thread by reposting the same screenshots over and over.

Don't go to NAPA to get an OE part.

I looked up the part on Megazip and confirmed it through numerous Toyota sites. They all show the number I listed as as the superseding part number for 95-97 LC and your LX450.

Order from a place like McGeorge and give them your VIN. If you get a part you're not sure of from overseas, the return shipping/restock fee will destroy any possible savings.
hey boss. yeah i get that. i was just trying to point out that the amount of data for anyone new to the toyota fiche is hard to wrap your head around.
it's nice to be able to verify things for yourself and not have to rely on what someone is saying even if they are probably right.
the lexus fiche was especially confusing since they use dashes in part numbers in some places and don't use dashes in others and they list a 98 lx 450 which is odd.
the one thing i am missing is how you are verifying superseded numbers. i mean i'd like to do this myself and when i lookup in partsouq it is obviously not giving me that.
do i need to use my account at toyodiy to see superseded numbers? or short of asking toyota parts counter on the phone or in person is there a way to do this?

If you look at a site like McGeorge or Megazip, it will show if a part has been replaced.

ok. so does anyone happen to know how you install this part?
i've got the new clock spring and i have the old one partially removed but there is a harness in the pics in this thread that is buried up under the cowling around the steering column.
and it looks like a lot of effort to get back there.
anyone on here been into this area and know what needs to be removed or if you can disconnect this bit of cabling and reconnect it to the new one?

I think you should be reconsider when creating new threads. Your threads muddy up even the simplest of maintenance items and create webs of bad information for those seeking to find good solutions.

ok. so does anyone happen to know how you install this part?
i've got the new clock spring and i have the old one partially removed but there is a harness in the pics in this thread that is buried up under the cowling around the steering column.
and it looks like a lot of effort to get back there.
anyone on here been into this area and know what needs to be removed or if you can disconnect this bit of cabling and reconnect it to the new one?
What was your outcome on this. I have a 1996 LX450 and have the same issues. I suspect the clockspring. Any advice on the right part and how to swap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom