80 horn contact plunger replacement intel (EDIT: make that 95-97 SRS/horn clock spring) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would use a multimeter to test for broken continuity through the old clock spring before dropping a couple hundred bucks on a new one.
i can do the same at the horn i guess?
i'll google continuity test. i really should finally figure this out.
actually the battery is out. do you mind if i just ask you a couple questions about how to test continuity at the horn for starters?
then also the cable?
for the horn i need to hook the battery up again? but i have the airbag off. this part i find confusing. i guess as long as the battery is off when the airbag goes on and off i have nothing to worry about?

i can do the same at the horn i guess?
i'll google continuity test. i really should finally figure this out.
actually the battery is out. do you mind if i just ask you a couple questions about how to test continuity at the horn for starters?
then also the cable?
for the horn i need to hook the battery up again? but i have the airbag off. this part i find confusing. i guess as long as the battery is off when the airbag goes on and off i have nothing to worry about?

Explaining to you how to test electrical circuits is beyond a tech post in the forum. Lots of books on it and guides online. The multimeter I have also has a guide to basic tests and settings.

If you learn some of the basics, it's a lot easier to help you.

Basically you want to see less than 1 ohm resistance between two ends of a wire. The clock spring is simply like a bunch of wires that can rotate around when the steering wheel turns and still be connected. You don't need to hook up the battery to test continuity, in fact you don't want any voltage on the wire since that messes with the reading. First take the probes and touch them together to make sure you get a good reading. Then take the clock spring connectors and find the pins where a wire goes in on one side and comes out the other side, then find out which wire corresponds to the horn and test that one. If the horn wire is good then the issue is probably somewhere else. You may have to look at the EWD to see which pins go where.

The other test you can do (beyond testing continuity through the wires of the old clock spring) is to test the voltage at different places through the horn wire path. For that you would need to hook up the battery and use a different setting (DC voltage) on the multimeter. The black probe goes to ground on the chassis or battery, and the red probe to the wire you are testing. Should see battery voltage (~12 volts) on the wire. For more explanation--you need to watch some Youtube videos. Good luck.

hi WCBlueSky. thanks a TON for this.
i have the fluke documentation printed out here and never took the time to do an actual continuity test. so i can pull it out and reread it. tomorrow. for some reason Ohm reading throws me because i always have to remember what 0 and 1 mean but i guess if i get a reading i know it is transmitting voltage (?) and that it is not totally broken or grounded? then at that point i could go in to see if it is "transmitting" (or "reading"?) the correct Ohm reading?
anyway i am also going to try to leverage this into understanding more electrical. so if anyone has any help on finding the coil and being able to read these from the FSM (they seems the most pertinent?) i'd love to get a little help with these if possible. from what i remember a connector is a rectangle. not totally sure what that clock could spring should look like though.
THANK YOU

2BEBAD96-1B5C-4EBD-AF4C-74CFBFF13C0F.jpeg

D8C489A9-6424-41A4-AFA4-536420C4EC11.jpeg

F105C6B3-4CD2-4444-9764-BEE9D75241AD.jpeg

76630381-F62E-4F1E-96F9-595ACB3C27D0.jpeg

hi WCBlueSky. thanks a TON for this.
i have the fluke documentation printed out here and never took the time to do an actual continuity test. so i can pull it out and reread it. tomorrow. for some reason Ohm reading throws me because i always have to remember what 0 and 1 mean but i guess if i get a reading i know it is transmitting voltage (?) and that it is not totally broken or grounded? then at that point i could go in to see if it is "transmitting" (or "reading"?) the correct Ohm reading?
anyway i am also going to try to leverage this into understanding more electrical. so if anyone has any help on finding the coil and being able to read these from the FSM (they seems the most pertinent?) i'd love to get a little help with these if possible. from what i remember a connector is a rectangle. not totally sure what that clock could spring should look like though.
THANK YOU

View attachment 2845680

View attachment 2845681

View attachment 2845683

View attachment 2845684
here are the instructions on the SRS system for 95-97.

BDA24FC9-08FA-4BBF-BC7E-81452E434589.jpeg

68EC32E9-5E32-4C41-947B-034E3AE8F609.jpeg

0E785D81-85E8-4CA8-9EDB-733EC490CD42.jpeg

gents. can i please just confirm the part number for the lexus model (same for the 95-97 LC i guess) is 84306-24010 please?
i want to order one and the part numbers and pricing for this part (NAPA wants $625) is all over the map...

59D12D10-6601-4CEA-8D05-AC35D35474FC.jpeg

If you can't figure out how to find the correct part, maybe you also shouldn't be messing with your airbag.

If you can't figure out how to find the correct part, maybe you also shouldn't be messing with your airbag.
i looked it up in the partsouq fiche and posted the results. you were kind enough to say "The correct substitution part would be 84306-24010."
i can't see this in the fiche so i was hoping to confirm the part number before ordering it.
maybe i should be looking things up in a different fiche because partsouq doesn't show superceded numbers.
how did you know the superseded number?
seems to me other 95-97 80 series owners would be interested to confirm this as well. the only info i could find on non working horns was for the plunger and spring which is for 94 and earlier. all of this seems like good info for the forum to me.

C28A61D6-166B-4464-8815-4F3BB2E7456D.jpeg

96ECD102-8738-46F9-BD94-4814CC3103A7.jpeg

Last edited:
let me know if you see another thread on here confirming this is the right part for the lexus lx 450.
What about post #13 in this thread? :hmm:

Last edited:
What about post #13 in this thread? :hmm:
hey man. lots of lurkers here apparently.
i appreciate your and zapatius's help. i like to think there is information here that will be useful to others. i think it is really easy to forget how hard it is to do something (like wrenching or electrical or just using a new fiche...) for the first time.
anyway this is not the easiest part to figure out so i was just hoping to double check before i ordered from the amayama site you posted.
when i first got on this last night partsouq shows two different parts with one being an option and neither are available. one was just under $150 and the other just over $150. this is confusing.
one of these parts shows two stalks but the right stalk doesn't have the intermittent wiper controls on it. this is confusing.
then i checked NAPA and they had it to the tune of $625. they didn't know if the part with the stalks would fit my rig but at the time i was thinking i should get the one with the stalks.
then i called around locally to dealerships and the one without stalks was available between $475 and $275 so i ordered the $275 from my local dealership. if that comes in and it is the wrong part i just tell them i can't use it.
then you posted the amayama - that shows the part number which i am told i need - for $208. but i can't see anything that tells me specifically this is the part i need.
then you were kind enough to post the Lexus site (pic below) and more intel from Lexus but i am just getting used to using the part souq site so i am never on the lexus site and i find this Lexus stuff confusing.
ALSO, i have phone controls on this steering column and i started to wonder if there is other stuff in the lexus steering wheel that means i need to order the lexus part for some reason.
also the lexus site lists a 1998 lx 450 which in itself is confusing.
i DO see now that the superseded parts are listed in one of the pics you posted.
i realize this is a long explanation but i mean it really should be a straightforward question which i gather you get.
anyway i have to assume someone else is going to come along and also find your info helpful.
THANKS

69A31ABD-95D7-4D21-8AEE-262B88B24995.jpeg

15A50369-2159-4250-883F-D404DEE302EE.jpeg

0BE010E5-8D3E-4B5B-B648-FC9E300F2C0F.png

80BBA245-6E21-446C-AB2F-F1351E245625.jpeg

D1173E36-2A79-42D0-876F-11A8C05F2BAC.jpeg

Last edited:
ALSO, i have phone controls on this steering column and i started to wonder if there is other stuff in the lexus steering wheel that means i need to order the lexus part for some reason.
That I don't know. I don't have a Lexus, so I'm not sure if a Toyota part number always equals a Lexus part number. 🤷‍♂️

That I don't know. I don't have a Lexus, so I'm not sure if a Toyota part number always equals a Lexus part number. 🤷‍♂️
thank you. appreciate your helping me get my head around it all.
i was looking again at the info you posted and it is actually a bit weird they seem to be using the toyota part numbers on the lexus site. i think.
anyway even the freaking pricing on this thing is hard to wrap your head around.
but that post on amayama is gold so THANKS again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom