80 FJ40 Fuel Pump Spacer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MJM

Threads
Do I need the spacer on an 80 FJ40 fuel pump? I just replaced the old one and it did not have the spacer. I am not sure if a PO had replaced it in the past. I tried the spacer but the bolts were too short. Any thoughts?
MFG Date 2/80 stock 2F

Last edited:
Do I need the spacer on an 80 FJ40 fuel pump? I just replaced the old one and it did not have the spacer. I am not sure if a PO had replaced it in the past. I tried the spacer but the bolts were too short. Any thoughts?
MFG Date 2/80 stock 2F

My May 79 40 has a spacer and uses the non rebuild type fuel pump with no return from the carb. What type fuel pump did you pull off, and are you running a correct year carb? I believe the 79 and later need the spacer or the pump arm gets broken is what I have read.

Stock Carb the PUMP removed was the same as the one I put in. Looked just like the one I put into my 83FJ60 last summer. The odd thing is the bolts holding the pump in are OEM just too shart for the spacer they were not cut.

Thanks
MJM

Does the fuel pump you pulled off and replaced look like the upper or lower in this picture?
coolfj40_1993_103551931.jpg

I'm of the opinion that the upper style (non-rebuildable) always uses a spacer. some sources (SOR) indicate the spacer is optional.

Are you sure the spacer was/is not still stuck to the engine block?
It's not that thick, maybe 1/8", so it could be hiding in the grime on the side of the block still.

Thanks

Thanks Jim, I am in Cleveland you with a blue 60 the tan 40. I will double check to make sure it is not there. If it is then good if not time for longer bolts.
MJM

I have the lower style. When I ordered a new one, it stated in the new box I needed a spacer or the arm may break off. My original (bottom picture) did not have a spacer...

I learned the hard way on a 79 2F. it definetly needed the spacer.:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom