80 Dual Battery / Best 2nd battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Doing the dual battery setup on my 80 and I am looking for some input on the best second battery.

My local Costco just got some blue-top Optima marines in stock for about $105.

Would this be a good one to run all accessories on.

They also have the red tops which I will replace the Die-hard with when it dies.

There are mixed reviews of the Optimas, what say you?

:beer:

I think Cruiserdrew has the Optima blue top group 31 in his 80. Do a search on it. I'm also interested in the results as I am also looking to fit a dual battery setup.

My understanding (from CruiserDrew's pics ) is that on the group 31 Optimas, only the blue top would fit due to the terminal orientations. The yellowtop would not clear the hood properly.

97 FZJ80 is Correct. I have a blue top Optima in the usual position and just used my original starting battery in the #2 position. If you can find my write up, it explains why (mostly because I'm a cheapskate).

The Blue Top Optimas from Costco are not the correct size for an 80 series tray, but you might be able to make it work. $109 is a killer deal if it's the Group 34 Blue Top. That's what I run in my FJ40. The 80 series takes a Group 27 in the primary battery tray, but a group 31 will fit. The Group 31 has a huge amount of reserve capacity and is a very nice battery.

One other place to look at batteries, especially for your second tray is the Marine store. They have group 27 AGM (Absorbed Gas Mat) batteries that are perfect for a deep cycle application. None of the high capacity AGM batteries are cheap, so bring your checkbook.

Try this link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=36775&highlight=Dual+Battery

Got dual Optima's in my rig and love em.

However instead of the blue I am running the yellow top which is also a deep cycle for accessories and the red as primary starting.

Last edited:
Here's my input:
With your winch as a consideration, a yellow top or "dual purpose" blue top for a second battery would be a good choice. Realize that there are two types of blue tops. One is a starting battery only (34M). The other type is identified by a "D" at the beginning of the model# (D34M, or D31M). These are meant for starting AND deep cycle use. The lower cases are also different (light vs. dark grey) but I can't remember which is which. Check out the model # to be sure what your Costco carries before you buy.

Red tops have the higher CCA's for starting applications, as well as a longer warranty. However, they are known to sometimes stop holding a charge after being COMPLETELY drained 4-5 times. I have kids that turn on dome lights and leave doors open. I coincidentally have also had two red tops replaced under warranty because they won't hold a charge. Dual purpose blue tops do not have this problem because of their deep cycle construction. I will be switching to dual purpose blue tops when I purchase again. I only wish they made them in reverse terminal.

Last edited:
Skillet said:
Doing the dual battery setup on my 80 and I am looking for some input on the best second battery.
My local Costco just got some blue-top Optima marines in stock for about $105.
Would this be a good one to run all accessories on.
They also have the red tops which I will replace the Die-hard with when it dies.
There are mixed reviews of the Optimas, what say you?
:beer:

I have the same optima blue top from costco. I just received (took me long enough to place the order) my hellroaring isolator/combiner, so I'm almost done collecting all the parts.

My plan is to return my dead costco (kirkland) battery, which is still under warranty, and pick up a 2nd optima blue top from costco. This blue top is smaller than the one Cruiserdrew runs, but has been sufficient for my needs for about a year now -- no problems (and I run my fridge constantly).

You really can't go wrong with Costco's returns policy.

Exide Orbital Blue top over the Optima - IMHO :cool:

NorCalDoug said:
I have the same optima blue top from costco. I just received (took me long enough to place the order) my hellroaring isolator/combiner, so I'm almost done collecting all the parts.

My plan is to return my dead costco (kirkland) battery, which is still under warranty, and pick up a 2nd optima blue top from costco. This blue top is smaller than the one Cruiserdrew runs, but has been sufficient for my needs for about a year now -- no problems (and I run my fridge constantly).

You really can't go wrong with Costco's returns policy.

Doug, you hit the nail on the head with regards to the return policy. That is my main reason for wanting it, aside from the fact that Optima has a fairly good rep. I think I will go pick one up today.

All input is greatly appreciated.

chip7238 said:
Exide Orbital Blue top over the Optima - IMHO :cool:

I have never had anything but problems with exide batteries.

Perhaps their dry-cell batteries are different but I have probably brought back 10 - 15 of those exide wet cells in my life.

The only reason I keep going back is they are still under warranty when the take a sh*t on me.

Cruiserhead05 said:
Primary- Everstart POS

Second- Optima Yellow

This is funny to me since there is a high likelihood that both batteries are made by the same company. Johnson Controls makes Optimas and some Everstarts. Exide makes some Everstarts as well and of course they make the Orbitals.

I'm currently planning my dual battery setup (I've got just about everything except for the wires, the washer relocation bracket, and battery). I'm going to go with a group 27 Marine battery. I think the Diehard Marine battery has 160 amp hours of reserve capacity, which is 5 more than the Optima D31M. I believe both are made by Johnson Controls.

I like the group 27's since that's what the trays are made for. The 27 is also nice since the positive terminal will be inboard of the negative terminal which is just a good idea. Also I'm thinking of a Diehard International 27f for the main battery position. It seems to be rated at 155 amp hours of reserve capacity, which is on par with the D31M however the CCA are lower. It also should fit well. ;)

You need to evaluate why you want dual batteries. Mine is for emergency jump-starting myself only. I don't run a fridge, don't have a mongo-huge stereo and amp that I want to run all night on battery power, and don't have massive lights that I plan to do the same with either. So I have no need for a deep cycle battery. I run 2 Optima Red-top blems, $50 each.

I also made sure I got the right model Optima, not the GM model that everyone carries with the dual top and side terminals (can't remember the model numbers right now, but Optima's web site has all the info). The raised contact path to the side terminals on those interferes with the stock hold down bar, and I didn't want to risk the bar rubbing through and shorting it out.

Another consideration that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is how are the batteries wired? If they are on seprate circuits you can have virtually whatever you want but if they are hooked togther they need to be "matched" in order to prevent one from taking down the other.

cruiserdan said:
Another consideration that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is how are the batteries wired? If they are on seprate circuits you can have virtually whatever you want but if they are hooked togther they need to be "matched" in order to prevent one from taking down the other.

Noted, but in practice, this did not happen with my Hellroaring system. If the system were parallelled with the ignition off, this would be a consideration, but if the batteries are isolated with the ignition off, I think you are OK. In my admittedly limited experience of 1, having 2 different batteries has made no difference at all. My 80 has sat for up to a month at a time without starting, and no problems at all with battery discharge.

Agreed. I was referring to a parallel system that is not using an isolator. I should have been more specific.

Cut and paste from another post...

"Buy 1 or 2 Everstart Maxx 65N batteries from Walmart. Why - Built by Johnson Controls, 850cca, excellent ratings, 3 year free replacement and 9 year limited/prorated in anytown USA 7 days a week, $58 a pop. Do not buy the Maxx 65S, or the larger Maxx 1N (the 950+ cca looks appealing), they do not rate nearly as well."

I am not sure if it is the best, but I have had no ptoblems with my yellow top.

I know that Alvarorb runs a group 31 yellow top with good results. I don't like the bolt down terminals, but I think there is one with standard battery posts available.

For running a fridge-I have been tempting fate in my FJ60 since all I have is a standard Group 34 starting battery of unknown age (at least 4 years), and even with that set up, I've never failed to start. In fact, I've fully discharged it a number of times leaving the lights on and it still hasn't failed. Maybe those Interstate lead/acid batteries are OK.

In a dual battery system, you could run 2 cheap batteries since the likelhood of two of them going bad at the same time is pretty small.

These batteries here look like a good deal, and Cabelas is first rate to deal with:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat350007&hasJS=true

Skillet said:
I have never had anything but problems with exide batteries.

Do some searches on the orbital - far fewer problems reported than optima. Admittedly, also a little rarer...

Anyway, I've had good results with mine. YMMV

Primary: Optima Yellow Top
Secondary: Optima Yellow Top

I have accidentally left work lights on all night, running off the secondary Optima Yellow Top battery. Just for kicks, I attempted to start off the same battery and it fired right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom