80 drive belt questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm confused. I've been told I'm supposed to have dual drive belts. Looking at the actual application, I can't see how that would work. Am I missing something?

ForumRunner_20121013_142823.jpg

ForumRunner_20121013_142835.jpg
ForumRunner_20121013_142823.jpg
ForumRunner_20121013_142835.jpg

Yes, there should be two drive belts, one for each of those grooves on the pulley connected to the water pump and fan clutch. Also, the one pulley you have is on backwards, the teeth should be inward facing the grooves. Finally, I would get OEM toyota belts as they make the least amount of noise and help the engine run more smoothly IME.

On second glance, you got some problems with those belts! The two main drive belts should be going around the fan clutch/water pump pulley, the alternator pulley, and the crank shaft pulley. The single AC belt should go around the AC compressor pulley and crank shaft pulley. The two drive belts should go on the OUTSIDE of the idler pulley, not routed inside of it.

Also, I'm not sure due to the depth perception of the pictures, but I think your water pump/fan clutch pulley might be on backwards or is the incorrect part... it doesn't look quite right.

Last edited:
Yeah the pictures arent the greatest, i know. From what i can tell the fan clutch pulley wont line up with two belts, is there a way to reverse it? I bought the fan clutch, new blue one, and just installed it as it came. This is a used vehicle and from what I can recall, there has only ever been 2 belts.

The drive belt that is on there is mounted so the V is in the groove, not sure why the ""teeth" are on the outside. I have recently developed a squeal, belts have been on for about 6 months, and ordered the 2 set of belts that were suggested from Toyota.

I also think, from what the other linked thread is showing, that my drive belt is mounted on the wrong side of the idler pulley.

This is what a stock 1FZFE should look like...your fan pulley looks non-stock.
009.JPG

another pic similar to your angle...for your perusal
top view of belts.JPG

Those don't look like Toyota belts. It would probably explain the recent squeal. I think its time to give Cdan a call...

It's hard to tell if the pulleys line up in your pics. But the two grooves of the fan pulley and the alternator pulley should line up. The Toyota belt pair is for the alternator. The idler lives inside the belts, not on the back side. If the idler bearing is sticky it's possible to temporarily run the car with the bearing removed.

The ac belt runs separately and on it's own tensioner pulley.

This happened to me last month when I was in pismo. No idea what caused it, it actually didn't make any noise whatsoever

2C2A4AA1-642B-43C6-B4C3-6B6090992199-5183-000007A7A05FA75E.jpg

If the idler bearing is sticky it's possible to temporarily run the car with the bearing removed.

I've been running my truck without an idler for about 6 months without a problem. I still have a new idler and an extra set of belts just in case, but I don't expect there to be a problem running without one for extended periods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom