80 Diesel Conversion Overlander Build... Hopefully

This is Princess. So named by... some small child that loved her in her past life. She was rescued from obscurity & rot from the ancient forests of Maryland. At that time her 1FZ Powerplant was mounted in the rear Ferrari style. Well, more, “resting” than “mounted” really.

A2FF658A-D936-4A81-9265-25A639AFF6A0.jpeg

IMG_9591.JPG

119CB782-9B81-4887-BC82-AB0E53978E21.jpeg

But I digress....

If my luck holds she’ll be getting a manual pump OM606 Turbo diesel and... maybe a 6L80 transmission?

But first, a quick clean up of some minor surface intoxication on the frame and a quick rebuild of the axle lock actuators (thanks WitsEnd!) first.

This thread will be a slow burn. The plan is for this be a classic Overland Rig, (eventually) including a 75 Troopy-style pop-top. Anyway, something has to replace my 400k mile Tacoma (seen in the background) that I have spent the last 3yrs living & traveling in because I'm sick of replacing LBJs in extremely remote locations. I'm ready to replace strange new things in strange new remote locations.

But we have a LOT of prep and drive-train to get through first so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Oh yeah!: Anyone have a rust-free green door and fender on the eastern seaboard??? Lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom