80 Brake Job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need new front brakes on the 80. We had a really some really bad ice before I left Germany so I think they got warped. It jerks as it's coming to a stop, and getting worse. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting the powerstops from Slee with 100 series pads.

I've never done brakes on an 80, but I'm familiar with similar setups. Any advice? I don't plan on replacing anything unless I find something bad. I do have an FSM.

You are ahead of me. Getting ready to tear into my first 80 and do the knuckle service / replace. I have heard of the 100 pad trick, and I know that Slee is first class.

No advice, except take pictures and let us learn from your work.

Cheers

100 pads fit right in no mods other than taking out one plate on the back of the stock pads. Dunno bout fancy rotors. but might be worth a shot.. never had an issue with brakes on an 80 with the 100 pads and stock rotors. depending on price i guess.

I knew something didn't feel right after the last ice storm we had. My ABS was kicking in like crazy. I think my problem is the sensors. When I stop, the ABS is still engaging all the time causing it to buck as i'm stopping.

No dice. Pulled the sensor and it's still doing it. Guess it is the rotors/pads. I've seen a lot worse without these symptoms, maybe the size/weight of the 80 makes it more noticeable.

try cleaning the sensors. on some abs vehicles the metallic dust clogs the magnets on the sensors causing an issue.

Thanks, I'm going to when my new brakes get here. My rotors/drums are beyond rusty from being in Germany (harsh winters). I went with a regular rotor and toyota 100 pads from Man-a-fre.

I'm probably going to need a rebuild soon too. It wasn't sounding too good in L today.

Inspect the calipers closely. Could have a stuck piston, especially if you've been driving a lot on salt covered roads.

had to replace BOTH rear calipers on the highlander. they had stuck pistons and only wore thru the side without the squeal pad.. NICE sound when they were done.. grease those pistons up with caliper grease if they still move.

Bob, I have never seen salt like what the Germans use.

I'm hoping my calipers are still good. I'm driving back down to Austin for easter so I can tow my Model A up here. That would put a damper in my plans to say the least.

100 pads fit right in no mods other than taking out one plate on the back of the stock pads. Dunno bout fancy rotors. but might be worth a shot.. never had an issue with brakes on an 80 with the 100 pads and stock rotors. depending on price i guess.

The anit-squeal shim right? I didn't know that when I did mine the first time, fought it an hour before I gave up and said I'll just assemble it without this shim...

that would be the one.

Well, they called me on Monday to confirm my address. I haven't heard anything all week, so I called this morning and was told they were going to pull the parts today. Kind of ruins my plans for doing my brakes before I have to tow a trailer 10 hours next week.

What parts are you needing?

front rotors, seals, gaskets, and the c clips.

They even called to confirm my address, I told her it was the correct address. I finally received the tracking number and they changed my damn address, so who knows if they will even make it here next Thursday like it says. I might end up seeing if I can get this stuff locally, and just send my order back if it ever gets here.

I changed the diff/xcase fluids today. Also pulled the abs sensors and cleaned them. They each had about an inch of moly on the bottom. Looked pretty fresh, i'm assuming the PO had the front end rebuilt at some point.

Made it to Austin to pick up my Model A. Went to put the brakes on and this is what we found:

Passenger side spindle - the threads were almost completely gone, minus some clumps on the bottom. We had to use a breaker bar to get the adjustment nuts off and it shredded both of them. $13 a piece from Toyota! I wish the pictures showed better showed the damage to the spindle, I'm not sure how whoever worked on this last did this.
img0044ew.jpg

After trying to find a replacement (couldn't find a used one, Toyota would have had to special order it - $337ish) we took a dremel and cut new threads, and ran it through almost all the rest.
img0043lu.jpg

Inside of the old rotors were crumbling in our hands.
img0057jb.jpg

Atleast someone repacked the knuckles recently.
img0045bf.jpg

It's still pulsing as I stop, and now I can tell it's actually coming from the rear. Loading the car on the trailer and driving back tomorrow. Then i'll have to do the rears when I get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom