80 BJ41 Tuffy Console won't fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Afte waiting for two months (due to a back order) I finally received my Tuffy II center console. The one with the stereo box.
I abandoned my "to-do" list and jumped on the simple install.
It doesn't fit.
The emergency brake (on the floor) is in the way. I've searched the forums but all I run into is issues with the shifter.
I have the mounting brackets that it is supposed to use and I've installed them both ways. The picture in the instructions is wrong.
It comes close to fitting if you center the stereo box over the forward mounting bracket. But then the rear holes are too far back, by about three inches.
I haven't even come close to mounting the cup holders yet.
Has anybody had this issue?
Thanks in advance.

PeterC

Peter,

I installed an 8" Tuffy with Stereo Din in my 77 FJ40. Most say a 6" is all that will fit.

The best way to make it work is to install the base bracket. Then sit the console on top of the bracket. Check the parking brake, shifter, arm rest location, etc. Don't forget the cup holders can mount on the back if necessary. Move the console forward and back until you get it where you want it. Mark your holes, punch, drill, and bolt it in where it is best for you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply but the later version doesn't give you that option.
It's a two piece bracket.
If I'm not doing something wrong and I want to stick with this console then I'll have to build or add on to the existing Tuffy brackets.

P

don't use the bracket, it would sit too high anyway with the bracket.

82 fj40, 6" tuffy
24799412.jpg

24799310.jpg

64732757.jpg

64732785.jpg

small urathan spacers used at the rear to level it out
64732779.jpg

I mounted it to the stock holes in the tub, redrilled the tuffy

Thanks for the reply but the later version doesn't give you that option.
It's a two piece bracket.
If I'm not doing something wrong and I want to stick with this console then I'll have to build or add on to the existing Tuffy brackets.

P

Thanks

Hadn't thought of that one.
Thank you.
Especially for the pictures.

P

How is the forward part of the console attached to the tub? I have a mess of hardware I have no idea who or even where it goes........WTF?

I am thinking of having a flat bar cut with holes in it, just drop it in the din and then bolt it down and the sides will hold the front down. You will need to see the bottom on the din to get what I am saying.

Shane

Shane,
I have rednecked mine in on a 79, but it would be nice to have some aftermarket options. However, the 79+ crowd is a small minority.

been along time, but just used 2 captive holes(from the old OEM console I think) in the tub to bolt the Tuffy to, am sure I got new hardware to fit the tub, front was easy...the back was harder

How is the forward part of the console attached to the tub? I have a mess of hardware I have no idea who or even where it goes........WTF?

I am thinking of having a flat bar cut with holes in it, just drop it in the din and then bolt it down and the sides will hold the front down. You will need to see the bottom on the din to get what I am saying.

Shane

The consoles I purchased were from CCOT, the rear has a nice bracket that mounts to the rear seat belt holes (i think) it's a bare tub. But the front sits on the raised portion like yours in post 4. On post 4, how it the console mounted securly and accesable in the front?

Last edited:
Shane,
I have rednecked mine in on a 79, but it would be nice to have some aftermarket options. However, the 79+ crowd is a small minority.

My deal is that I never cut or drill in a tub............But these directions are back asswards. I have two 8" long bolts in the kit.:confused:

If I did the flat bar idea and dropped it in the DIN hole it would over lap all four sides by a 1/2 and should be pretty solid.

I dont care about the radio, but I want this to be a solid mount...

Last edited:
front is bolted down thru new holes I drilled in the console, used the OEM holes in the tub to mount to, they may be under the CD player, I kinda forget, i know it was not easy to get mounted but it doesnt move at all. the wires for the CD feed in thru the bottom.

I didnt use any of the hardware that came with the it.

I am the same....aint drilling any holes in the body

The consoles I purchased were from CCOT, the rear has a nice bracket that mounts to the rear seat belt holes (i think) it's a bare tub. But the front sits on the raised portion like yours in post 4. On post 4, how it the console mounted securly and accesable in the front?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom