80 bj40 engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a1980 bj40 diesel that has no compression found a ring broken and some wear on a cylinder also leaking valve seats.
i have called a few engine builders and they are backed up for 8 months so I am looking for advice
on weather to swap it to a gas engine or try to get a good b series engine it seems they are hard to find in the us.
any suggestions on an easy engine swap to get it up and running again.
Or anyone have a line on a good b series diesel engine

I actually have a pair of engines. Both are 24volt, but I could keep the accessories & you could put yours on there, and swap out the glow plugs with yours. Then they’d be 12volt all around. One is an 83 or 84 3b out of a bj46, the other is a B motor in a 77 bj43. If the 3b was a bolt in, it would be a nice update. But if not the B should be a direct bolt in I assume. I haven’t personally run either of them, but the people I hit them from in Europe are sellers I trust & they told me they were runners. At this point both are extras due to changing plans & needs, so I’d sell pretty cheaply & get them crated to ship East if you want one of them.

I actually have a pair of engines. Both are 24volt, but I could keep the accessories & you could put yours on there, and swap out the glow plugs with yours. Then they’d be 12volt all around. One is an 83 or 84 3b out of a bj46, the other is a B motor in a 77 bj43. If the 3b was a bolt in, it would be a nice update. But if not the B should be a direct bolt in I assume. I haven’t personally run either of them, but the people I hit them from in Europe are sellers I trust & they told me they were runners. At this point both are extras due to changing plans & needs, so I’d sell pretty cheaply & get them crated to ship East if you want one of them.

How much were you asking for the b engine
How about $650? That would basically be $600 for the engine (I'll keep the electrical accessories), $50 for lumber & whatever else I need to get to built a pallet for it & get it packed up to ship. Once ready, I could take it down to Denver & drop it at whatever freight terminal or forwarder you prefer. It is currently in the BJ43 so I'd have to pull it out, but I don't think just removing it would take too long. That truck needs an entirely new wiring harness, so once that & a few other things are done, it was going to get a different engine anyway. So it would be serendipitous if you can use it.

How about $650? That would basically be $600 for the engine (I'll keep the electrical accessories), $50 for lumber & whatever else I need to get to built a pallet for it & get it packed up to ship. Once ready, I could take it down to Denver & drop it at whatever freight terminal or forwarder you prefer. It is currently in the BJ43 so I'd have to pull it out, but I don't think just removing it would take too long. That truck needs an entirely new wiring harness, so once that & a few other things are done, it was going to get a different engine anyway. So it would be serendipitous if you can use it.

oh also, this is still Abe (Gr8ful). I just moved over to my wife's computer/account so as to not type so much on the phone.

I mean I would have gone for the 3B because it is stronger and is easier to turbo if you every want to do that, but the B is a bolt in. 3B has a bit more power too. My B engine blew, but I rebuilt it. I figured I would rather have a new engine that would last a while rather than a used one that could blow at any moment

Obviously a personal choice which way you want to go but I have a 3B being rebuilt at Engine shop in Denver as we speak. IT has been a chore finding some parts and some we simply had to recondition since they were no longer available. I am going to keep my old 3B for parts in the future. Even as bullet proof as these B engines are parts are only getting more difficult when that unfortunate time comes.

Good Luck!!

Obviously a personal choice which way you want to go but I have a 3B being rebuilt at Engine shop in Denver as we speak. IT has been a chore finding some parts and some we simply had to recondition since they were no longer available. I am going to keep my old 3B for parts in the future. Even as bullet proof as these B engines are parts are only getting more difficult when that unfortunate time comes.

Good Luck!!
A Canadian place had a bottom end rebuild kit for my B. Life saver. Not sure how I would have found it without them

Engines Australia advertise tons of parts and the part I did buy was promptly delivered but when it came to some other parts they weren't able to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom