80 amp alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1984 fj40 and was wondering if the original wiring will handle an 80 amp alternator? The Voltage Regulator (external) is bad and I‘m thinking about just getting a remanufactured alternator, the one that is offset that will work is 80 amps. Any help? Thanks!
F4C17031-816C-44DB-886C-CB07EE18BE88.jpeg

Your ammeter may not be able to handle it, not sure what the limit is. But your charging system will only take as much current as it needs from the alternator, not the full 80 amps unless you were winching or otherwise using something with a large amperage draw. So, if you're not going to run a winch, then the stock wiring will probably be fine (except for possibly the ammeter). If you are going to run a winch then I would replace both the positive and ground cables with heavier gauge.

I put a 200-amp alternator on mine, but replaced all my battery, alternator, starter, and ground cables with much heavier gauge, and replaced my ammeter with a voltmeter.

Yep, I’m gonna go ahead and go with the 80 amp. There’s a guy on here that sells upgrade harnesses that plug right into alternator, now I just need to find him. Anybody know his name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom