80 & 100 series odometer roll backs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C

crazy canuck

In my quest for the purchase of a nice cruiser, I have come across some $hotty stuff..and a few "unvbelievably low milers"..what is the likely hood that some of thedse are roll backs, and how can I best protect myself against this stuff...?

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken 100's have electronic odometers which are nearly impossible to roll back. I could be mistaken though.

As for 80's I don't know.

On 100s we use a function generator to set milage Its a BKprecision unit #4011a 5mhz

[quote author=fj55-100 link=board=2;threadid=10501;start=msg94095#msg94095 date=1074805080]
On 100s we use a function generator to set milage Its a BKprecision unit #4011a 5mhz
[/quote]

Can you roll back or only go forward?

[quote author=fj55-100 link=board=2;threadid=10501;start=msg94095#msg94095 date=1074805080]
[/quote]

so are you saying that it's relatively easy to do on 100's, and if so, will that same instrument tell me if this has been rolled back?--and where and how much is one of these BKinstruments?

Here's an odometer story. I saw a '91 FJ80 in the local Autotrader and arranged to see it. The Cruiser looked really clean and one could tell it had be detailed to the max, even the under side had been steam cleaned and painted in spot. The odometer said 76,383 miles and it was reported to be a one owner vehicle. While inspecting it, I checked to see if the original jack was still in its place and found a FSM stuck in with the jack, etc. The "dealer" let me drive it home that night, and it drove/idled rough and the brakes were weak. Nothing a good gearhead couldn't fix..... so, I mentioned it to the guy and he took $600 off the asking price of $5,600..... so, I wrote him a check (thank God it was on a Saturday) and drove it back home. We planned to do the tax, tag, title deal on the following Monday. When I got home, I got the FSM out of the jack stowage area, and in the manual was a work invoice from a local Toyota dealership. It had the owners name and phone number on it..... so, I gave him a call and, no answer...... so, I called the dealership and ask for the service department. I gave them the VIN and they pulled up the maintenance history. Well, the last time the Cruiser was worked on was one month eariler, and the milage was......... get ready...... 206,083 miles. Well, to make a longer story short..... I used my Marine Corps training and charming personality and had my check cheerfully refunded. I found out the entire speedometer cluster had been changed.

Wayne S :cheers:

<<<<"Marine Corps training and charming personality">>>>

He would have been better off if you had turned him over to the authorities :rolleyes:

Did you show him the part where........oh, nevermind. :flipoff2:

Usually we are rolling up a new blank od to match the custs mileage , i never tried down , But i will on the next one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
generator is purchased from GRANGER a supply house
it wont tell you if its been done as it is just an electronic signal to the cluster to up the milage

Cdan, I did turn him over to the DMV and local police :D. Found out in that interchange that his "dealer's license" was suspended for...... ??? probably the same kinda thing :slap:.

Wayne S :cheers:

[quote author=fj55-100 link=board=2;threadid=10501;start=msg94199#msg94199 date=1074815832]
Usually we are rolling up a new blank od to match the custs mileage , i never tried down , But i will on the next one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
generator is purchased from GRANGER a supply house
it wont tell you if its been done as it is just an electronic signal to the cluster to up the milage
[/quote]

I see, that's why I asked. I was pretty sure that's what you were using the function generator for. I would think that the circuit would be designed so it could only go up. It sounds like you use the function generator to mimic the vehicles signal to the odometer.

On a side note function generators are lots of fun to play with, especially with speakers :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom