8 lug pattern on a 76 front axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tytoy

W1ITZ
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm trying to figure out a way of running a 8 lug patter on my front disc brake stock 76 axle. I am looking into putting in a 14 bolt ff in the rear, but they only come as 8 bolt. If anyone can direct me to a solution I would apprietiate it.

Are you shortening the 14bolt or running it full-width?

I would sell your DB axle and put the money toward a D60 now before spending any more money on adapting a weaker component.

Another option would be to get some conversion wheel spacers made. Look around on ebay - there are a few guys that can custom make whatever you want and it should be less than $200 for a pair. The advantages are that you don't have to mess with the front axle at all and the spacers will help even up the track width with the rear axle. The major disadvantage is that you will be moving the tire outward a couple inches. That's not so good for the wheel bearings and trunion bearings. Also, your scrub radius will be huge so it's time to beef up your steering components.

I plan on shortening the long side of the 14 bolt and using the shorter inner axle from the other side. I was also wondering if I could find a 6 lug rotor that will work on the 14 bolt to do a disc conversion. I'm trying to stay away from any spacers, but I'll see what I can find on ebay, thanx.

I'm running 8 lug FF rears on my '72 FJ55 & '73 FJ40 & 6 lug DB fronts. Why? I sure as heck ain't gonna run no NON USA LC FF rear! I came up with an interchangeable spare, so no custom front hubs or crazy spacers. Here's my 14 bolt, residing under my 55:

Last edited:
LC_Hamma said:
...Why? I sure as heck ain't gonna run no NON USA LC FF rear!...

Why not?

cruiseroutfit said:

8.875 ring gear
No "off the shelf" 4340 replacement shafts
No 35 spline or 1.5" shaft availability
Spindles cannot handle 1.5 shafts

Other than 1 custom shaft for each of my FF rears, the rest of the parts are cheap & plentiful for D60's & 14 bolts. Detroits are also cheaper & that's what I'm runnin' in both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom