Events/Trails 7th Annual Mardi Krawl, April 4-7 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Motorhousing up on Thursday Morning. I've TWO awesome spots I like at HPO so hopefully one of them will be open. LOL.
Can't wait for the Thursday night dinner!
I'd love for DLC to have a primitive camp spot where we can all be in one group. Where's the best place to setup at HP?

I'd love for DLC to have a primitive camp spot where we can all be in one group. Where's the best place to setup at HP?

I’ve never tent camped there, but I feel the BEST spot depends on weather. The primitive camp area has shade, good for warm weekends, the grassy area behind the RV’s has no shade, but great for colder days, it can get windy though.
I think you outta set up camp over near HOT South in the designated primitive camping area (where they normally do) and that way you have neighbors.

I know you need to swap in the King springs, do you also need to replace your fluid? You're welcome to ride shotgun with me if we can't get it done.
Fluid and get the front into spec to get an accurate reading on the globes. All of the added weight I've added hasn't helped. I'll be done with my big reporting deadline tomorrow, so I'll finally have a free weekend to address it.

Rain can kiss my butt. Tired of it!
It better clear up. I SWORE I’d never go back to HPO if it rained. Forecast for Thursday and Friday is rain. I make not bring the crawler.

Rain can kiss my butt. Tired of it!
It better clear up. I SWORE I’d never go back to HPO if it rained. Forecast for Thursday and Friday is rain. I make not bring the crawler.
Is it that bad after rain? Looks like rain fri, but sat looks ok.

Last year was no bueno. It rained for basically the whole event. We explored Muscle Shoals and surrounding area, didn't spend much time at the park. The park does drain pretty well, but similar to Golden Mtn, when it is wet, the access road becomes a trail adventure all its' own. And the camping area, around the cabins, and pretty much everywhere there isn't gravel turns into what can best be described as peanut butter.

Is it that bad after rain? Looks like rain fri, but sat looks ok.

Camp SUCKS in the rain. as does the main trails. Once you get into the rock crawling trails, some actually become easier (Merlin) because the rocks clean off and can crawl easier.
But as Jynx says, the camp becomes peanut butter. Only saving grace IS Saturday. Looks like rain Thrusday and Friday morning.
I TRULY hoping it blows over and doesn't rain much.
I'm "in" either way, but I HATE that park in the rain.

Last year was no bueno. It rained for basically the whole event. We explored Muscle Shoals and surrounding area, didn't spend much time at the park. The park does drain pretty well, but similar to Golden Mtn, when it is wet, the access road becomes a trail adventure all its' own. And the camping area, around the cabins, and pretty much everywhere there isn't gravel turns into what can best be described as peanut butter.
Matthew, are you all coming again this year? I'm bringing Caylee with me and there will be a few other wives from DLC as well. So if it gets too bad, they can go explore in Muscle Shoals.
Camp SUCKS in the rain. as does the main trails. Once you get into the rock crawling trails, some actually become easier (Merlin) because the rocks clean off and can crawl easier.
But as Jynx says, the camp becomes peanut butter. Only saving grace IS Saturday. Looks like rain Thrusday and Friday morning.
I TRULY hoping it blows over and doesn't rain much.
I'm "in" either way, but I HATE that park in the rain.
Here's to hoping it blows over!

I'll be riding up with my wife first thing Friday morning, shooting for arriving around 9AM. @Betty100LC and his wife will be following us up as well. Looking forward to finally meeting everybody! I've never been to HPO before, so we'll probably hold off on setting up camp until more folks from the group get there. Does HPO have a decent area to park the tow rigs & trailers that doesn't turn into a slip-n-slide when it rains?

Does HPO have a decent area to park the tow rigs & trailers that doesn't turn into a slip-n-slide when it rains?

hp-orv.JPG

Decent tow rig parking is plentiful in the area I marked...it's ALL muddy when wet, but that area is on top of the hill / closest to the main drag.

...and I'm with you guys - Hoping for passing showers at best throughout Thursday. All forecasts say Saturday should be good wheelin'...!

- Brian

Matthew, are you all coming again this year? I'm bringing Caylee with me and there will be a few other wives from DLC as well. So if it gets too bad, they can go explore in Muscle Shoals.

We are out this year. Gots too many honey-dos on the board, main one being the play house for Hannah's birthday that needs to be done by the 20th...

And as far as wet weather, if it rains you guys may want to show them around town. At least this year the temps are looking good, last year was a double whammy, cold and rain.

That said, it was a good time visiting with friends. If you do venture out, check out the sound studio on Jackson Hwy. The dam is cool, the rattlesnake bar is a poorly executed but neat idea for a bar, there is a Frank Lloyd Wright house there and a few other neat stops around.

0406181344a_HDR~2.jpg

We are out this year. Gots too many honey-dos on the board, main one being the play house for Hannah's birthday that needs to be done by the 20th...

And as far as wet weather, if it rains you guys may want to show them around town. At least this year the temps are looking good, last year was a double whammy, cold and rain.

That said, it was a good time visiting with friends. If you do venture out, check out the sound studio on Jackson Hwy. The dam is cool, the rattlesnake bar is a poorly executed but neat idea for a bar, there is a Frank Lloyd Wright house there and a few other neat stops around.

View attachment 1942335

Thanks Matthew! Are y’all planning to go to GSMTR?

Thanks Matthew! Are y’all planning to go to GSMTR?

We are planning to right now. Hope to bring the 55 as long as I can get some miles on it before then to make sure I'm comfortable it will make the trip.

I’ve never tent camped there, but I feel the BEST spot depends on weather. The primitive camp area has shade, good for warm weekends, the grassy area behind the RV’s has no shade, but great for colder days, it can get windy though.
I think you outta set up camp over near HOT South in the designated primitive camping area (where they normally do) and that way you have neighbors.

We’ll have a couple folks there tomorrow afternoon. A few more, including me, will start trickling in Thursday morning. Heart of the South sets up at the spot in the picture for primitive camping for those that want some neighbors like E suggested. We’ll see y’all at HP!

B94F745F-2501-4348-BE61-4987F8D2F7F5.jpeg

WHOOP!
Looks like tomorrow is still gonna be a pisser, but atleast Friday and Saturday won’t be!
Still hoping tomorrow blows over quickly!

Ground doesn't look too bad. Looks like you guys had good weather today and tomorrow looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom