7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No middle seats, an air mattress and a torque wrench is all you really need to be expedition ready.

Is anyone planning on hauling a trail bike to the event? I'm thinking of bringing one down on a hitch carrier to tool around the trails. Maybe even come down a day or so in advance.

BTW what is the limiting factor on the size of the event? Is it the campground capacity or the trail run groups?

This sounds like a great event. My wife and I were planning a trip to Utah and Colorado at the beginning of August so this might be a great way to kick off... you guys all seem to have a good time!

I have a 2 year old so trail rides every day are probably out of the question. Is the schedule flexible enough to allow us to do a couple of rides and then spend a couple of days exploring other activities? I know that it probably seems silly not to drive every day... but pretty sure that he would rather run around and explore nature. Personally, while I might prefer feeling out the cabilities of the 100, I also know that keeping wife and kid happy are key to future explorations!

Tom

Is anyone planning on hauling a trail bike to the event? I'm thinking of bringing one down on a hitch carrier to tool around the trails. Maybe even come down a day or so in advance.

BTW what is the limiting factor on the size of the event? Is it the campground capacity or the trail run groups?

Likely have several folks with MTBs with them. We have heard from our Chamber contact in Silverton that the town is making strides to get on the MTB map, i.e. trail development. We are working on getting maps/more info related to that.

Limiting factor is a couple things. #1 would be permitting with NFS and BLM. They have restrictions on trail run group size. Keeping a good relationship with them is top priority for this event and for all others like it #2 @paflytyer and I are trying to keep the growth as organic as possible, I do not doubt we could open this up to 300 Toyotas and fill it, but we are pretty committed to this group for this event. We are also a two man (with some awesome help) operation, so just making it big just to do it, really has no benefit to us.

hope that helps, thx
chris

I'd like to join. However, I have work on these days, so what is the chance joining on Friday and Saturday? Got to be back at work on Monday.

I'd like to join. However, I have work on these days, so what is the chance joining on Friday and Saturday? Got to be back at work on Monday.
We do not really have any packages for partial attendance. You would have to register and just come when you can, nothing really beyond that. Hopefully you can get all the days, but if not, hope to see you there. thanks

^^^Thanks for the reply.

I got a stock cruiser with AT tires. I've done Death Valley in a 3rd gen 4runner over 3 days and enjoyed to max with fellow T4R members. Since I plan to bring kids this time I want to make sure I will meet the group and will be able to reach a road on Sunday morning. So if you have a road map about the ride, that will be great for me to arrange my trip.

Thanks,
nissanh

^^^Thanks for the reply.

I got a stock cruiser with AT tires. I've done Death Valley in a 3rd gen 4runner over 3 days and enjoyed to max with fellow T4R members. Since I plan to bring kids this time I want to make sure I will meet the group and will be able to reach a road on Sunday morning. So if you have a road map about the ride, that will be great for me to arrange my trip.

Thanks,
nissanh

There will be many people going in many directions each morning. However, we will not have any groups formally scheduled to go out on Sunday morning. That is pick up and drive away day, closeout of the event.

Likely have several folks with MTBs with them. We have heard from our Chamber contact in Silverton that the town is making strides to get on the MTB map, i.e. trail development. We are working on getting maps/more info related to that.

Limiting factor is a couple things. #1 would be permitting with NFS and BLM. They have restrictions on trail run group size. Keeping a good relationship with them is top priority for this event and for all others like it #2 @paflytyer and I are trying to keep the growth as organic as possible, I do not doubt we could open this up to 300 Toyotas and fill it, but we are pretty committed to this group for this event. We are also a two man (with some awesome help) operation, so just making it big just to do it, really has no benefit to us.

hope that helps, thx
chris
I think the two of you guys are pretty awesome to keep this going. I think honestly, this doesn't have to turn into a huge event to be any better than it is going to be this year. That said, I trust you guys as much as I trust the front office of the Seahawks....and that means a lot! GO HAWKS!

This sounds like a great event. My wife and I were planning a trip to Utah and Colorado at the beginning of August so this might be a great way to kick off... you guys all seem to have a good time!

I have a 2 year old so trail rides every day are probably out of the question. Is the schedule flexible enough to allow us to do a couple of rides and then spend a couple of days exploring other activities? I know that it probably seems silly not to drive every day... but pretty sure that he would rather run around and explore nature. Personally, while I might prefer feeling out the cabilities of the 100, I also know that keeping wife and kid happy are key to future explorations!

Tom

I suspect the 2-year-old will be easier to please at this event than your wife. My kids have been wheeling since the youngest was about 2. Other than frequent stops for potty breaks, they were just as big of troopers as I was. But I also completely understand the age old wisdom: "Happy wife, happy life.". I have been married 19 years after all.

This event is awesome! Having grown up in the area I can tell you that Chris and Stan have taken huge strides in growing this event in all the best ways possible!
In my opinion, moving the event into Silverton from its original primitive camping status and not falling into the Ouray rat race was a super rad choice. Ouray is super busy and can be overwhelming that time of year, while Silverton is busy but not overly so and is still laid back. It's a cool mountain town and one of my favorite Colorado towns. The fact that they scored the Kendall Mtn. Ski Area as a base camp is simply unbelievable. This place is beautiful and retains a lot of the "primitive, overland camping" type atmosphere that this event was founded on but with the addition of some creature comforts that some folks would find nice to have. There is definitely something for everyone in the family at this new venue. And that's just the venue, I won't even get into how awesome the trails are because Im sure you all have heard about how the SAN Juan mountains are a bucket list four wheeling destination.
What sets this event apart from all others is the people factor. I've been to many different events in the Toyota world and this one is top notch. Being one of the Hooligans in the Hills (our small group of non-100 owners) last year, I can say that this group is a bunch of fun people to hang out with. No attitude, ever! Everyone is there to have a good time!
I can't wait to return and I look forward to taking many of you out and showing you the trails that I grew up driving. Thanks Chris and Stan for having me back. See you all in July!

Met this nice little guy (Simba the lion pig) in Phoenix today. He's from Silverton, CO and his family likes to sit and count all the cruisers as they come into town. Told them we'd see 'em again in July! What a small world.
5h0jQaw.jpg

Apparently there's still 3ft of snow on the ground up there.

Just acquired a new to me 99, 100 series it's all built up and this will be our family outing for this summer. Wife and 13 year old sons fist even like this. They are excited. We plan on doing Moab for a few days on our way home to central Idaho. Anyone else thinking Moab after?

Is there going to be a spot still open when registry starts.

What payment do you accept for registration? Credit card, PayPal? I'll will be on my way back from Big Bend on the 26th. My plan is to pull over and try to register with my phone. Just want to make sure I have everything lined up.

Yes. PayPal which will allow for multiple types of payment. Thanks!

[QUOTE="Idaho yota, post: 10902715, member: 122420]

Is there going to be a spot still open when registry starts.[/QUOTE]
Not quite sure the question here.

How about first born children?

Anyone driven from the east coast to this event before. Trying to figure out how long to plan for. We would be coming from NC. Ive done cross country trips before when it was just me and I pretty much drove straight through except this time I want to make it as easy on the family, GF and possibly our little one and a Lab. I googled how far it is and it says 1 day and 6 hours. So I'm thinking 30 hours drive time. So I'm thinking if I break it up into 4 days one way that would be about an 8 hour drive day and give time to relax each night somewhere. Does this seem about right.

Also for someone that lives on the east coast at sea level, I was thinking about coming a bit early to start to acclimate to the higher altitudes. I've personally never had an issue with it but not sure about the others that will be coming with. How long should I plan to come before hand to try and acclimate to the altitude?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom