7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
LAST UPDATE: 04/12/2017 (SPONSOR info)
NEW WEBSITE: WWW.100SINTHEHILLS.ORG

HIH Friends,

Finally, it's about that time to start locking down your summer plans! This will be a long post and I'll add to it periodically before the event, so check back often. I will place a header at the top of this post with a date that shows the latest update so you don't have to scroll through the 60+ pages that this thread will eventually become. We will keep all of the most important info right here on page one.

The 7th Annual 100s in the Hills gathering will be held in beautiful Silverton, Colorado from July 26 - 30, 2017.

We now have a five-year contact with the Kendall Mountain Recreation Area and Ski Mountain. This location gives us the ability to host many more vehicles, activities and camp space. Just a few years ago, we were camping on uneven, rocky ground with rainwater running through our raffle area. Kendall Mountain Rec Area allows us to camp along the Animas River on flat ground with a 150-person dining hall, indoor bathrooms, couches, a large deck, a ski mountain, a pond, hiking trails, etc. The building is normally used for weddings and receptions. It's a beautiful location and we have many exciting things in the works for HIH7. Expect a few new trails, half-day options, amazing food, new friendships, MANY new activities, a few classes, and a few surprises. HIH7 will be more of an adventure week than just a wheeling event. We're working closely with the Town of Silverton to create an adventure experience for everyone as opposed to just a daily driving event. If you're bringing the whole family, we have amazing options coming that will keep everyone happy. If you're coming solo, we have full-day trips that will keep you behind the wheel and on the edge of your heated seat for 10+ hours a day.

You'll now be able to select a multitude of things to do while staying with us. Fly fishing, mountain biking, train rides, climbing, 14er hiking, picnic lunch, kayaking, mine tours, etc. The Town of Silverton is thrilled that we're making Silverton our home and they are all-in on our event. Business owners have been reaching out since the end of HIH6 offering their services and assistance.

As always, this event is reserved exclusively for the 100 Series platform, with a few exceptions. Every year we take calls and emails about why we don't allow others to register for this great event. It's a valid question with a simple answer. This event was created to cherish the 100 Series platform and its owners. For reasons unknown, the 100 doesn't get the respect it deserves from the Land Cruiser community. 100s in the Hills is happy to cherish the underdog of the Land Cruiser world. We get together to celebrate all of that and we want it to be a no ego, laid back and easy going event. We will have a few non-100s sprinkled in, but all available spots will go to 100 Series owners first. Many of our sponsors/vendors have moved on from the 100, so you will see a few 200s, 4Runners, Tacomas and Chris' big white 80. The Hooligans in the Hills (two 40s and a Tacoma) will be back to help with camp and trail logistics too.

100s in the Hills was created for us to get together and put faces with forum names, learn proper wheeling techniques, meet some of the vendors and generally hang out in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Everything in this area is scenic and if you've never been here before, prepare to be amazed by the views. We will have trail options that are completely stock-friendly, all the way to challenging trails that will test your sliders and armor. We strongly suggest every vehicle have an AT tire or better, and a matching spare. Stock road tires are easily punctured from the sharp rocks found in the San Juan Mountains. If you plan on joining the Poughkeepsie Gulch run, we recommend at least sliders and 33s. Multiple trails will be run from Wednesday through Sunday so it's best to plan on arriving early and staying late to make the most of it. Wednesday will be a light day with more camp activities than trail runs so everyone can become familiar with the area and adjust to the altitude. We will have trail runs on Wednesday afternoon, but we expect most folks will be setting up camp that day and generally taking it easy. There will be a trail leader training class for anyone who would like to lead trails for HIH8 and beyond.

We take trail leading seriously and want to ensure that anyone tasked with leading a group for our event understands how HIH works. We are a safety first event and a family first event. Some trails are suited more for families, some are suited more for solo/couple/no toddlers and some are a mix of both. Our trail leaders will understand the dynamic of leading a mixed group of drivers and their abilities. They also understand that not everyone is familiar with offroad driving or even how to operate some of the equipment on their 100. This is the place to learn. NEVER be afraid to ask. I have shown someone how to get their 100 into 4lo every year since HIH3. We've discussed tire pressure, locker use, CDL, seat position, and anything you can think of. Interested in how to make your 100 a 2wd after breaking the front diff? We can walk you through that as well. If you leave HIH without doubling your knowledge and confidence in driving, than we've done something wrong.

None of the trails in this area are terribly difficult, but they're all dangerous. You and your passengers should be mentally prepared for exposure and drop-offs. Black Bear Pass always gets the most coverage (rightfully so) but there are many other trails in the area where a lack of concentration will have disastrous outcomes. We recommended that you discuss this with your passengers before choosing your trails. Fear of heights is a very real thing and while we encourage everyone to run every trail, some trails are simply not good options for some people. The reason why I am solo at HIH every year is that my wife has a real fear of exposure. Even though she has climbed a handful of 14,000 foot mountains here in Colorado, she does not do well in a vehicle on an exposed ledge. When passengers are nervous, drivers get nervous and stressed. That's not fun. Chris and I have led an enormous amount of people over Black Bear. We are familiar with every rock and every line. We know where you'll slide towards the edge and where you'll feel exposed and off-camber. For me personally, there's nothing I enjoy more than bringing folks over Black Bear for their first time. Chris feels the same about Poughkeepsie Gulch, the most difficult trail in the area. Every trail in the area has it's unique characteristics, but these are the two that have that "bucket list" feel to them.

Black Bear Pass is one of the highlights of the weekend and you (and your passengers) should be mentally prepared for that trail. Every year there are tears shed from either drivers or passengers. Being nervous is very normal and I still get a little amped each time I start down The Steps. Our 100's are large vehicles and you will be very close to the edge, but there is plenty of room and we will be there spotting the tightest and sketchiest sections. Our Black Bear trail leaders have been down that trail more times than they can count. Trust your spotter and enjoy the experience!

25160486905_f2107a6c5a_b.jpg

25042365132_b7cd948253_b.jpg

Camp: We will be based out of Silverton, Colorado! Kendall Mountain Rec Area Map

Trails: As mentioned above, we will be doing the standard trails for the area. Black Bear, Clear Lake, Imogene, Ophir, Poughkeepsie, California Gulch, Alpine Loop, Super Secret and a few others. We usually stick with the most popular trails and plan to do so again in 2017. We have some new trails for HIH7 as well!

Kids: Kids are encouraged! Get them out to experience the great outdoors. We will once again have kids shirts available. Feel free to bring bikes for kids. The area around camp is flat. Please remember that there will be a lot of vehicles entering/exiting HIH7 headquarters. There is a large area near the lodge that's used for ice skating in the winter. It's about the size of an ice rink with a gravel floor. There's room to run r/c trucks or play catch in there. It's blocked off and out of the way.

The ski hill can be climbed and ridden down as well. We're working on getting the ski lift running, but it's not really setup for summer use. They use snow to build a exit area from the chair lift. We're trying to get them to build a platform so kids can ride the small lift (with parents) and bike down the hill. That's still a bit of a long shot.

Pets: Good dogs are welcome. Please bring the necessary tools to clean up after them and remember USFS guidelines require them to be on a leash. It is a little more laid back around camp but we still need to keep them under control. There will be kids running around, screaming and generally having fun. Please make sure your pet is kid friendly and can handle the noise and excitement of strangers and little hands.

WILDLIFE: 2 years ago we had a stray dog roll into camp that was very hungry and very nervous, so please keep an eye on your pets. Even though we're right at the edge of town, this is still a primitive mountainous area. There is wildlife around that your dog could tangle with. It's best to keep them close. With that being said, let's talk about moose and bears. We have seen a bear every year for the last 3, but not in camp. We do not have grizzly bears in Colorado, only black bears. While any bear can be dangerous under the right conditions, the chances of a bear wandering into our camp are still pretty slim. We're actually more likely to see a bear in camp now that we're right at the edge of town, but it's not likely. It's still important to be Bear Aware. Do not leave food out overnight (this includes pet food) and do not bring snacks and food into your tent. Again, the chances of a bear in camp are slim, but seeing one on the trail is a real possibility. We did have a large moose in camp at HIH6. Although they look friendly and goofy, moose are dangerous animals. They're incredibly large and very fast. There is a very good chance we'll see one in or around camp. They will not come looking for you. They will not stomp your tent at night. They will not go into your tent for food. With that being said, they do not like dogs and do not like to be approached and they will absolutely defend themselves if they feel threatened. If you see a moose or a bear, enjoy them from a distance. Give them all the space they want and do not allow your dogs to go and investigate.

Weather and Altitude: Even though this will be mid-summer, it can get cold. You should be prepared for the nights to dip into the 40s and even 30s. (it's rare to see temps in the 30s that time of year, but it happened one morning at HIH6).

Rain..... Colorado is one of the sunniest states in the country. However, with the exception of last year's phenomenal weather, HIH seems to revolve around the rainy season in the San Juan's. HIH6 was amazing for weather and Silverton as a whole sees much less rain that Ouray just a few miles away. Please bring rain gear and be prepared to use it. We will be camping at 9,300 feet and driving above 13,000 feet every day. Almost everything that we do will occur above 9,000 feet. Acute altitude sickness is a very real possibility while you are here. It's important to know the symptoms and understand the only cure is to descend to a lower altitude. Even going from 9,000 feet down to 7,000 feet will help. (6,000 and below is best). There is some good information about it here. Altitude Sickness

We have had folks pack up and leave every year because they were not getting better. It's important to know the signs. Please let us know if you're feeling any of the symptoms of altitude sickness, especially if we're on a trail. Hydration is vitally important. Start upping your water intake a few days prior to arriving. Just going into Ridgway or Durango for a few hours is usually enough to make you start feeling better. If you're coming from sea level, you WILL feel the mild symptoms. Headaches, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, shortness of breath. I live at 6,000 feet and still feel the effects of high altitude when I go above 12,000 feet.

Campfires: As long as there are no fire restrictions in place, we will have a campfire each night. This will be the central gathering place after the sun sets. Please bring at least 1 bundle of firewood with you. It's best to buy your firewood as close to camp as possible. This prevents accidentally bringing harmful invasive species into the area. There are plenty of places to buy wood in Ouray, Durango, Telluride, Ridgway and Silverton.

Pot Luck and Raffle: Possibly the most anticipated part of this event is the pot luck and raffle. Please bring a dish to share that represents where you're from or a favorite family recipe. This is truly a highlight of this event. We also have a Beer's Around the World table. You should bring at least one six pack from your local area to share.

As always, we will prepare for a fantastic (and totally free) raffle courtesy of some of the best vendors in the 100 Series and adventure community. Generally, this happens at about 6pm on Friday, so you don't want to miss that! We are still finalizing the schedule, so the raffle may be held on Saturday instead of Friday, but you'll know well in advance of the event. We're still working on logistics with the town and food/beverage vendors.

Toyota Land Cruiser Association:
100s in the Hills is about to become the first non-regional TLCA chapter. That means that you can be a HIH TLCA chapter member regardless of where you live. You can also hold an elected position in the HIH TLCA chapter even if you are a member of your local chapter. You do not have to be a TLCA member to participate in this event, but it is encouraged. Becoming a TLCA chapter allows us to purchase fantastic event insurance through the Toyota Land Cruiser Association and allows us to promote the event through Toyota Trails Magazine. Stay tuned for information regarding how to become a 100s in the Hills TLCA Charter Member.

Venue Info:

Kendall Mountain Recreational Area and Ski Mountain

There is a ballroom, fireside lounge, TV, full kitchen, wrap-around deck, pond and shallow river running right through camp. Although the lodge does not have showers, we have rented a large indoor shower trailer that has 8 showers total. One side is mens, the other is womens. This isn't a dumpy shower, it's an upscale trailer with an attendant that will clean the showers each day and ensure that everything is in working order. This setup was ridiculously expensive to have delivered to Silverton but we feel that it's an important addition for our attendees. You will not be disappointed.

We have many things in the works that are not finalized yet. We're working with local restaurants, wineries and breweries. We will update this post often but we knew it was important to get the basic info out there as soon as possible. As always, we promise to not disappoint. If you've never attended a HIH event before, it's unlike any other event. We're laid back, relaxed, family-friendly and easy going. We take great pride in knowing that you're traveling incredibly long distances, possibly with family, and making our event an important part of your summer vacation. We want you to enjoy your time in Colorado and we work hard at ensuring that this is one of the best trips you've ever taken.

This year's registration fee has increased and it's important to talk about that. We've always tried to keep the cost as low as possible in order to accommodate everyone. For the last two years, Chris and I have actually been upside down after the event was over. With as big as this event has become, we simply cannot do that any longer. I hope everyone understands the dramatic price increase, but we're now occupying a legitimate venue space with full permits, event insurance and many more amenities.

Registration will open on SUNDAY March 26th at 5pm MST.
WWW.100SINTHEHILLS.ORG (new web address)
REGISTRATION COST $220 PER VEHICLE

Be sure to subscribe to this thread for updates on registration and further details.

See you in Silverton!

Last edited:
CONFIRMED HIH7 SPONSORS

These are the companies that support 100s in the Hills. If you're planning on adding something to your 100 Series or you need camp/adventure gear, please use these vendors as much as possible. Support those that support us.

GAMIVITI

CVT TENTS

NITRO GEAR

BUMP IT OFFROAD

DISSENT OFFROAD

EAGLES NEST OUTFITTERS

TOWN OF SILVERTON

METAL TECH 4X4

RHINO RACK

OUTDOORX4 MAGAZINE

TRAIL TAILOR

FISHPOND

OFF THE GRID

SACKWEAR

WITS' END

LAND SHARK OUTFITTERS

LAND CRUISER HEAVEN

IH8MUD

Last edited:
SAVED FOR ADDITIONAL INFO

I'm definitively going this year. Subd!

Oh man. My first kid is being born in June... don't think the wife would love the idea of taking a two month old offroading. I'll be watching this one from the sidelines and I'll see you guys at HIH8.

As you can see from @paflytyer 's post, things are in full swing. Can't give enough thanks to all of the folks who have already volunteered their time and skills to help us out this year. We will need it.

This year we have some assistance on the website which should make all of the transactions with the attendees smoother and self-serviceable. As usual, Stan and I will be around for all of the "do I need sliders?" emails though. :). We are looking to streamline and focus on the planning side this year, which basically aligns with the feedback from last year's event. We have always had very patient attendees, that is always going to be appreciated.

Stan pretty much mentioned all of the cool stuff that is in the works for HIH7. I am looking forward to the cool mountain summer days and all of the friends, both new and old that I will get to enjoy my time with.

While this website, IH8MUD, which has always been a key catalyst for the 100s in the Hills events, we will also keeping up the www.100sinthehills.org website with all of the information that is pertinent to the event. @woody (owner/operator of site) has always been gracious to us and has supported HIH in the past and we plan on keeping that relationship strong. 100s in the Hills would not have the great following without all of the support that we receive each and every year. It is really a great thing.

So if you have a 100 Series/LX variant and are looking to explore the San Juan mountains, please hold the dates on your calendar for the registration date/time and the event itself. It will be exciting, stressful (ask some wives who went down Black Bear for the first time), educational, and most importantly fun.

Stan and I do take this event seriously and cannot express our thanks enough to the attendees, vendors, and town of Silverton who together make this once small meetup in the Hills, a great event.

Don't be shy to post up shots of your rigs on Instagram and use the hashtag #100sinthehills. We have a great following on there. Additionally, check out Facebook and give us a 'like'.

Cannot wait to pull into Silverton for HIH7!!

chris

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this update, thanks!

Getting excited first HIH for me!

sub'd

I was there last year at HIH6 with my brother in law @maxse01 as a "spectator". I got home - promptly purchased a 100 and am looking forward to this year as a "driver".

Just put my slider order in with Mike at BIO this morning. Already have the 33's ... ready for Poughkeepsie (I think :) )

Can't wait ... calendar alarm set for 3/26.

Calendar is set for registration, already put in the vacation request, and slowly trying to talk some Austin 100s into the trip.

I was there last year at HIH6 with my brother in law @maxse01 as a "spectator". I got home - promptly purchased a 100 and am looking forward to this year as a "driver".

Just put my slider order in with Mike at BIO this morning. Already have the 33's ... ready for Poughkeepsie (I think :) )

Can't wait ... calendar alarm set for 3/26.

Dude! Welcome! I had no idea you went out and bought a 100.

That says a lot about this event that someone who attended as a spectator had such a good time they went out and bought one.

Is @maxse01 going to make the journey this year? It took us about the rest of 2016 to finish all that yuengling (with lots of other brews in between).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom