79 motor on 73 frame - can I scrap some vacuum hoses and electronics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks for any help. Long story short is that I'm in Delaware and bought a FJ73 parts rig that I am rebuilding, ground up that was simply a tub, frame, motor, trans etc. The previous owner put a 79 (I think - 2F340419) 2F with pretty much nothing attached to it onto the frame and lost interest- no gas tank, electrical connections gone, cowl gutted - no controls, etc. Since no mechanics will come to me it seems that I have to get this running myself. I am pretty comfortable with simple older American engines (comfortable does not mean professional) but fuel injection, electronics, a lot of vacuum lines, etc really makes things much more complicated.

My question is:

How much of the vacuum lines and electronic sockets and gizmos that I see coming off of this engine (with a lot not attached to anything) actually are needed for proper running and how much are for environment and things like that. Dont get me wrong, I care about he environment but If I can get rid of these vacuum lines and waste a few gallons of gas a month I promise to pick up litter for a month. If I could scrap most, except for say, timing vacuum, my life would become a whole lot easier. Id be happy to photo and post for answers to individual items - thanks a lot for any help.

Thanks for any help. Long story short is that I'm in Delaware and bought a FJ73 parts rig that I am rebuilding, ground up that was simply a tub, frame, motor, trans etc. The previous owner put a 79 (I think - 2F340419) 2F with pretty much nothing attached to it onto the frame and lost interest- no gas tank, electrical connections gone, cowl gutted - no controls, etc. Since no mechanics will come to me it seems that I have to get this running myself. I am pretty comfortable with simple older American engines (comfortable does not mean professional) but fuel injection, electronics, a lot of vacuum lines, etc really makes things much more complicated.

My question is:

How much of the vacuum lines and electronic sockets and gizmos that I see coming off of this engine (with a lot not attached to anything) actually are needed for proper running and how much are for environment and things like that. Dont get me wrong, I care about he environment but If I can get rid of these vacuum lines and waste a few gallons of gas a month I promise to pick up litter for a month. If I could scrap most, except for say, timing vacuum, my life would become a whole lot easier. Id be happy to photo and post for answers to individual items - thanks a lot for any help.

You can remove everything or choose to keep the "good systems" such as HAI, and vapor recovery. You don't have much need for high altitude compensation in DE. Whatever you do don't throw anything away, sell it to someone on here who needs the parts to pass an inspection to get their Cruiser on the road.
Search for "desmog" and read a few threads then look at this picture for help.
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/smog/72706FJ60desmog.jpg

thanks a lot for the response. To be clear, I believe you mean that I can pull all vacuum hoses and simply cap off any tubes that remain. Assume there will be no significant running or gas consumption problems. What I mean here is that she will run like a Landcruiser and consume fuel like a landcruiser give or take a few percentage points - is that right? If all vacuum lines are basically smog issues, since I am in Delaware with a 73 it does not matter.

In reference to the electronics, as an example the plug coming off of the trans case - again, I assume this can be left disconnected. This as well as all the other plugs on the engine that dont seem to go anywhere.

On the vapor recovery line from engine back to fuel tank - this is the same thing right? Simply is returning a very, very small amount of fumes back to tank and not making cruiser run better or worse and not really saving any fuel - just smog, enviornment issue - right?

Again, thanks for any help. If I understand this right, once I pull all this crap off, I'll have a basic motor that I understand and will make my life and this rebuild much less complicated - thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom