79 Fried Igniter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While trying to track down my lack of spark and the POs rat nest of wiring im pretty sure I fried the igniter assembly.
I followed input on other threads from @Pin_Head and @FJ40Jim in terms of systematically isolating bad components.
Plugs - no spark
Dizzy - no spark
coil would arc when +/- from bat hooked up to it
coil would still arc when igniter assembly + hooked up to coil.
nothing when fully assembly hooked up.
I decided to take the igniter off and troubleshoot it. I flipped the board over and found a burned out trace on the IC. I soldered on a jumper hoping that would fix it. Went to crank it again and burned out another trace..
main questions are:
1. Is this igniter fixable?
2. why am I burning up traces in the igniter?
3. what is the best (simplest) option going forward know the PO hacked into the harness?

IMG_20200331_135922.jpg
IMG_20200331_135934.jpg
IMG_20200331_140006.jpg
IMG_20200331_140015.jpg

I have this :

your welcome to it , just cover shipping

circuit board looks similar ?

matt

DSCN1099.JPG
DSCN1100.JPG
DSCN1101.JPG

Hi Matt, Thanks for the offer. I think im going to try the GM route and if that fails Ill try this again :crybaby:

It’s getting harder and more expensive to keep these things on the road. Purism will have to be sacrificed for the sake of practicality.

@wngrog do the distributors you’ve been running require a coil or ignitor?

It’s getting harder and more expensive to keep these things on the road. Purism will have to be sacrificed for the sake of practicality.

@wngrog do the distributors you’ve been running require a coil or ignitor?

No. It’s all in the distributor.

Okay ordered the GM igniter module today, I want to make sure I understand the wiring before I tear apart the stock one anymore. I am following how @Lugal did it but that igniter looks like the wiring is slightly different. How does my wiring correspond to the connectors on the GM igniter? what is the single component circled it has a single lead which is grounded directly to the battery now, do I need it after going to the new igniter?

Igniter wiring.JPG

Could be wrong but that may be the condesnor. Capacitor to cancel noise in the electronics to help with the radio clarity. Most are long gone a this point.

Okay hooking up all the connection to the new GM igniter.
My OEM igniter wiring differs from the one in that @Lugal did in his thread.
IMG_20200407_132243.jpg

Dizzy hooked up to W/G pins on the new igniter, pretty straight forward.

IMG_20200407_132258.jpg

unlike the OEM igniter in the other thread, I don't have a yellow wire coming off the circuit board. I have one which goes from the coil + to the connector. Should the resistor be added in line here?

IMG_20200407_132311.jpg

The green wire looks to be a ground. The two wires brown and black, how should they hook to the igniter?

I got everything back together... and still no spark. Anything I am missing here? whats the best order of operations for systematically diagnosing where the problem is?
If I were to completely start over with a clean slate with the ignition system (dist. coil. igniter) what are some of the options?
IMG_20200407_160025.jpg
IMG_20200407_160020.jpg

There is a link on here from Trollhole that has a 1980 2f engine manual. In the 138 page PDF, their is an Ignition section from pages 93-98 that shows the on vehicle diagnostic procedures. The distributor section starts on page 98. The USA distributor is on page 105.
You might have a bad signal generator in the distributor.
*Edit - here's the link for the manual.
Here's the signal generator from RockAuto
BE76A4E7-1E77-4205-937C-6A66F576E0B8.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom