79 frame compatability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Sept. 79 build date fj40 and am in need of a donor frame. The one I have has major rust issues. Would like to know what frame years are compatible with my fj40. I don't mind doing some mods to make it work.
Thanks for any help.

79+ if your fuel tank is below floor

73ish-79 if fuel tank above floor under seat

73-84 with some work for the wrong one

Any year - more work

This is WAY out of your way but the frame is a 1978... you could drop the front axle off in Boise on your way across the states LOL

Fj40 parts

1/79-7/80 are the only frames that match. Earlier all the body mounts for the tub are different. 8/80 has different spring hangers and used a crossmember for the rear motor mount. You would need to add those on the later frame and use later springs or find bushings to use your current springs.

I have a 78 as well so I'll inspect the mounts and location in comparison to my 79. My body brackets on my old frame are usable maybe I could mock them up to a +-78 frame if I can't find a 79 + frame. Thanks for all the help

it really depends on what month the 79 was made. if it was Dec 78 or earlier the 78 frame is correct. if it is Jan 79 and up you need the later frame. the big changes started in Jan 1979 with the gas tank under the body and square headlight bezel among other things.

just re-read the first post and it states Sept 1979 build, you need the 1979-1980 frame
I've got an 82 frame but as stated, the body will bolt on to the frame it's some of the other things that don't cross over.

it really depends on what month the 79 was made. if it was Dec 78 or earlier the 78 frame is correct. if it is Jan 79 and up you need the later frame. the big changes started in Jan 1979 with the gas tank under the body and square headlight bezel among other things.

just re-read the first post and it states Sept 1979 build, you need the 1979-1980 frame
I've got an 82 frame but as stated, the body will bolt on to the frame it's some of the other things that don't cross over.

Does the 82 frame have a title?

I'm really in the market for a 79-80 frame to do it right and save the headaches. If it comes down to I'll get a new one from Aquila, but I would rather have a donor

81+ is not that hard to adapt compared to pre 79. Use the rear motor mounts from your current frame and find bushings that will allow you to use your springs or if your springs are old and worn just replace with the 81+ 40 series springs.

There is a frame on Craigslist Phoenix that suppose to be 73-78 but sure looks like a 1/79-7/80 to me. $650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom