‘79 FJ40 won’t idle Central Austin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just because the bowl is full when idling doesn't mean there is enough gas going through the fuel filter to keep it running when you are driving it. How long since you changed the fuel filter? I'd do that anyway, first.

Take care of the smog ports and check for air leaks at the intake manifold and the base of the carb. I would then do a lean-drop idle adjustment.

I haven’t checked the fuel filter. That’s a good thing to do. It has a new gas tank and fuel filter from the PO. It’s less than 6 years old and under miles.

Everything points to too much fuel. The bowl isn’t just “full” it is overflowing. The engine dies like it doesn’t have enough air and smells of fuel.

@davegonz are you saying to do that before I rebuild or after?

Yeah, check the float and then do all the other stuff I mentioned. :)

Digging around underneath the battery and the fuel filter looks old. It’s an in-line black universal unit, and it’s probably safer to replace it. More parts to find.

I found a nice little “modification” to what I think is the High Altitude Compensation Advance line from the distributor.

C8A5540D-244C-4BA5-980D-BB5DB5AE7572.jpeg

I believe that is a galvanized woodscrew serving as a hose plug. Shouldn’t this be connected somewhere? I’m looking through desmog documentation and “stick a wood screw in the advance line” doesn’t appear in any of the steps.

An update, looks like the “bad needle valve” guess was on the money. Lots of other interesting bits like missing retainer clips, slow jets and nozzles were reversed, stripped bolts, float wasn’t set close to correct, and the secondary diaphragm was shot. Waiting on a few more parts to put it back together.

Thanks for the help!

@davegonz or @77mustard40 any recommendations on rpm meters? Do I also need a vacuum gauge? Vacuum gauge looks optional.

I don't run a tachometer on my 40, but do have a hand held multimeter that has a tach feature that I used to do a lean drop adjustment.

Actron CP7677 AutoTroubleShooter - Digital Multimeter and Engine Analyzer for Automotive Professionals, Orange Amazon product ASIN B0002LZU7K

Glad you got it figured out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom