'79 FJ40 Top to tub gap. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been test fitting 5/79 body parts before paint and having trouble with the gap between top and tub. The top is resting on the windshield frame as it should, but the top does not sit all the way on the tub along the sides. Also gaps at the bow to doors not even. Windshield is down as far as it can go at the hinges. Gutter bends up at the door. (Gutter will get replaced).
I took pictures of this gap situation (pic 1) and also have pic of top sitting on tub correctly with windshield laid on the hood (pic 2).
I am using all weatherstrips needed to test fit correctly. Are there different heights in windshield frames? When I purchased vehicle, it came to me totally apart, body off frame and parts in boxes, so can't guarantee all parts are 79.
TOP TO DOOR 2.jpg
TOP TO DOOR 3.jpg
WINDSHIELD DIMS.jpg

I would be checking along the frame. Would not assume the problem can only be the windshield. How is the gap across the bottom of the door?

The is my pieced together 79.

IMG_20190822_190011688.jpg
IMG_20190822_185941082.jpg
Doors are from a 75. Top is off a 77. Back door 84. Everything fits yours appears thee cowl is higher than where the B pillar is on the tub. Alignment starts at the bottom. Bend frame or body mounts can cause a problem at the top.

I would be checking along the frame. Would not assume the problem can only be the windshield. How is the gap across the bottom of the door?

The is my pieced together 79.

View attachment 3223669View attachment 3223670Doors are from a 75. Top is off a 77. Back door 84. Everything fits yours appears thee cowl is higher than where the B pillar is on the tub. Alignment starts at the bottom. Bend frame or body mounts can cause a problem at the top.
The door gaps to tub are good. The mounts seemed good as the body sat nice on the frame when bolted down. I could snap some dims from the cowl to somewhere like the post base at b pillar but I would not know if the dims would be good. Definitely something to double check.

I had a 79 years ago. The top never would sit down on the tub correctly. Sorry I’m no help.

Pictures form the side straight on some times help see things. Your door header are a two piece part. They do not look to be assembled. Can see a gap between the two pieces. The bottom piece goe into a channels the top piece. Would get that right first. While it can be done assembling that before setting on the windshield is easier.

Pictures form the side straight on some times help see things. Your door header are a two piece part. They do not look to be assembled. Can see a gap between the two pieces. The bottom piece goe into a channels the top piece. Would get that right first. While it can be done assembling that before setting on the windshield is easier.
Yes, you are correct. The door header/bows are temped in. I will make sure they are aligned and bolted down.

My factory original top and doors fit decently on my (12/79 build) 1980. Are you using all four of the rubber gaskets between the sides of the hard top and the tub?

Looking for some close-up photos of mine ...
Here's what I have on hand:

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_1055.JPG

There is a small wedge of a gap between the front of the doors and the top of the windshield frame. Part of that may because of the thickness of the marine carpet that I had put in for a headliner in the top (interfering a little with the windshield frame because the upholstery shop installed too much carpet towards the front).

Last edited:
My factory original top and doors fit decently on my (12/79 build) 1980. Are you using all four of the rubber gaskets between the sides of the hard top and the tub?

Looking for some close-up photos of mine ...
Here's what I have on hand:

View attachment 3223992

View attachment 3223996

There is a small wedge of a gap between the front of the doors and the top of the windshield frame. Part of that may because of the thickness of the marine carpet that I had put in for a headliner in the top (interfering a little with the windshield frame because the upholstery shop installed too much carpet towards the front).
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have all the weather stripping in place because I am test fitting before paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom