79 fj40 stock fuel guage sending unit amperage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what is the amps of a stock 79 fj40 fuel level sending unit amp @ empty .vs amp @ full.
i want to get a autometer guage for the stock tank set up.

oh yeah ... does anyone know what to do about smog pump eliminator pulley action. (slang) i mean once i saw a pulley that sat in the stock smog pump location ans just tensioned the belt.

please help . this will be the first time i have had it all together. assuming my wiring harness works.. :)

matt
tlc w05.JPG
tlc w04.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome.

SOR has/had a smog pump idler pulley for sale a while back...

You are looking for the resistance in Ohms of the sending unit....left my manuals at the shop today for some reason...they are usually with me....

I am sure that someone will post up this info, if not, I will in the morning.

By the way, if you search 'fuel sending unit' out here, you will find a couple threads that people commented about modifying an Auto Meter sending unit to use in a Land Cruiser fuel tank.

Good luck!

-Steve

The stock Land Cruiser sending unit produces 17 ohms of resistance at full and 120 ohms at empty.

OEM Toyota fuel gauge resistance:

Full = 17 +/- 2.1 ohms
Half = 40 +/- 4.5 ohms
Empty = 120 +/- 6.5 ohms

actually this'll be my first rig. i drove a stock 40 for about 70k mi. 8 yrs ago. this ones not 8 years in the process but the other one still is. c ya'll on the trail.
thanks again.
matt

would there be a difference between years of guages and sending units cuz I have a tank from a 77 and the stock 72 guage and it says half full when it actually getting empty?? I might have to go the aftermarket route

Last edited:
Here's my previous post...

I had a dilema with fuel measurement when I added a aux tank (that had an Autometer sender). I wanted to keep my stock gage, so I did some calculations and did a simple modification to the meter. It reads fairly accurate (good enough for me). Here's the info...

Full Empty
Autometer spec 30 ohms 250 ohms
Stock sender 17 ohms 120 ohms

By adding a resistance in parallel to the circuit (easy at the back of the instrument cluster) it's possible to use an Autometer sender and have it read correctly on the stock gage. By playing around with some standard resistance values (and taking into account current and power) I came up with the following...
Two, 1/2 watt, 470 ohm resistors (available at any electronics supplier) in parallel with the circuit. Tied one end of the resistors to the gage bolt, the other ends to ground. I opted to have the meter read more accurately at empty.

Hope this helps...

See pic attached..
Autometer fuel sender corrected 1.jpg

Last edited:
greencruiser said:
would there be a difference between years of guages and sending units cuz I have a tank from a 77 and the stock 72 guage and it says half full when it actually getting empty?? I might have to go the aftermarket route
Don't know about '72 versus '77 but one adjustment you can make is the position of the float versus fuel level. You can bend the float arm to read more or less on the gauge relative to how much fuel is in the tank. Trial and error worked for me.

Looking at AutoMeter's fuel gauges it looks like there really isn't a fuel gauge that matches up to the Toyota sending units. Seems it would almost be as easy to go with the Autometer senders.

What gauge is anybody using with a Toy sender?

Looking at AutoMeter's fuel gauges it looks like there really isn't a fuel gauge that matches up to the Toyota sending units. Seems it would almost be as easy to go with the Autometer senders.

What gauge is anybody using with a Toy sender?

Bump :wrench:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom