79 fj40 rear axle lateral movement in spider gears. Normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I uploaded this video to YouTube to show the lateral movement my rear axle (long side) has in the spider gears and C clip. Is this normal? There were no metal shaving in the diff fluid to indicate wear in the axle or spider gears. Short axle side does not have this movement in it. please Advise.

That looks about how mine were when I was in there. There needs to be enough play that when you take out that center block, the axles move inbound enough to remove the "c" clip.

There should be a spec in the FSM on how much play there should be. It's adjusted by different thickness side gear thrust washers. Its probably about about right.

I believe the pinion shaft spacer (center block) thickness controls the gap/play that you show. The side gear thrust washers, control the backlash of the differential gears.

Last edited:
20210602_181419.jpg

Found the info. I will post an update to what I find soon. I appreciate y'all helping out.

Looks like my 1978.

intersetingly mine had no thrust washers and it was a tight fit to get the spacer back in

Also. Although not exactly related mine did not have a crush sleeve and was using shims

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom