79 FJ40 Quarter Dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone please get me these dimensions marked on the picture? Need the top starting point to be the end of the bend down to the flange. Preferably on an original tub. Mine is a 79. Want to confirm that the guy put them in correctly. When the rear sill is even with the bottom of the qtrs. the rear door opening is way too big vertically. Thanks

QTR DIMS 1.jpg

Can you show a couple more pictures in the rear? In particular where the ambulance door jam meets the sill at the bottom and where it meets the mid bar (above the lower quarter panel). The front of the new quarter panel appears to be meeting the rocker panel at the correct spot....but did the rocker panel get replaced (seems a bit tall)? If the bed did not get replaced ...nor the wheel wells then the top of the sill should be perfectly level front to back with the ribbed bed.

That curve bend and the lower quarter panel bottom is a bit nebulous (imprecise). It would be better to measure from the tub top in an exact location such as
where the sill meets the quarter panel. I can get you that measurement but a picture around the sill can tell me a few things.

Also your weather stripping is pinching and perhaps holding off the upper quarter from tightening down fully. That can throw off the opening size.

Last edited:
I think this is the more precise measurement area you really want. Thats from the top edge of the tub (the weather stripping would sit on top of that edge) to either the recess or the top of the sill itself. To the recess bottom it is 15 and 1/16 or 2/16 ". I also notice he must be using the CCOT panel because it doent have that lip to make that corner look nice. Ask him to add a bit like I did to make that corner close up cleanly.

IMG_1564.jpg

Can you show a couple more pictures in the rear? In particular where the ambulance door jam meets the sill at the bottom and where it meets the mid bar (above the lower quarter panel). The front of the new quarter panel appears to be meeting the rocker panel at the correct spot....but did the rocker panel get replaced (seems a bit tall)? If the bed did not get replaced ...nor the wheel wells then the top of the sill should be perfectly level front to back with the ribbed bed.

That curve bend and the lower quarter panel bottom is a bit nebulous (imprecise). It would be better to measure from the tub top in an exact location such as
where the sill meets the quarter panel. I can get you that measurement but a picture around the sill can tell me a few things.

Also your weather stripping is pinching and perhaps holding off the upper quarter from tightening down fully. That can throw off the opening size.
Hey, thanks for looking into. This one has me stumped. Here are the pics I have. If you need more detail, I can certainly get. The pictures show where the sill needs to be to get a 40 1/4" vertical opening. If the sill goes back to line up with the bottom of the qtrs, I have a big gap when I test with the weather striping. As for the rockers, both have been replaced but from what I gather, the qtrs were replaced before rockers were cut out. I only have the one side pic of that but I can get whatever needed.

TL REAR 2.jpg

TL REAR 3.jpg

TL REAR 4.jpg

TLC RS.jpg

I think this is the more precise measurement area you really want. Thats from the top edge of the tub (the weather stripping would sit on top of that edge) to either the recess or the top of the sill itself. To the recess bottom it is 15 and 1/16 or 2/16 ". I also notice he must be using the CCOT panel because it doent have that lip to make that corner look nice. Ask him to add a bit like I did to make that corner close up cleanly.

View attachment 3258012
Thanks for the dims. I will use this to check mine. I will have to do something like you did once I get everything test fitted correctly.

I cannot really fathom how you are able to move the sill up and down like that. When you look at the sill across the bed (ribbed hauling area)...it should be level front to back. The bed sits on the front lip of the sill. Do you have a ribbed bed behind those ambulance doors?

Fundamentally I don't believe the new quarter panels have been trimmed correctly (or) the area at the mid-bar (below where the weather stripping sits) is trimmed correctly. You're new quarters should be able to line up with the bottom of the sill. Thus the only thing I can think of is that the new quarters are set too long top to bottom.

Take a look at that pic I sent again and send a complimentary pic of your area. There's not a lot of way to wiggle up and down in this area. The bed sits on the lip of the sill....the door jam bridges the distance from the mid-bar to the top of the sill....and the quarter panel bottoms should be level with (sit at the bottom) of the sill with no gap.

I cannot really fathom how you are able to move the sill up and down like that. When you look at the sill across the bed (ribbed hauling area)...it should be level front to back. The bed sits on the front lip of the sill. Do you have a ribbed bed behind those ambulance doors?

Fundamentally I don't believe the new quarter panels have been trimmed correctly (or) the area at the mid-bar (below where the weather stripping sits) is trimmed correctly. You're new quarters should be able to line up with the bottom of the sill. Thus the only thing I can think of is that the new quarters are set too long top to bottom.

The sill is just tacked in until I can find root cause of what is going on. I will use your dims and let you know where the qtrs land. When the sill sits even or flush with the qtrs, the sill and floor line up good but have way too big of opening vertically. I will let you know where my qtrs land.

i have exactly the same issue with a new rear sill and new quarter panel on my 64 fj40....a gap of 5 mm , so maybe there is a shape difference between the new quarter panel coming from my donor, bj40 1980, and the 64 fj40.... i measured on a RHD and sill is ok, 60 mm from floor to bottom
Attach files
let me know if you find answer

Still working on mine. It’s a 1981 so some differences but I’m happy to troubleshoot, offer measurements / photos. Just let me know what you need

ok i found why, 5 mm difference because the guy who made took the model on a bj42 and seems it was yet repaired
so maybe here is the mistake for me

too check..

Still working on mine. It’s a 1981 so some differences but I’m happy to troubleshoot, offer measurements / photos. Just let me know what you need
can you give me somes measures ? of the rear on your ? thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom