‘79 FJ40 Parking Brake Lever Adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can’t seem to get my Parking Brake adjusted right. I have the brake shoes adjusted correctly, but the hand lever cable keeps popping off it’s seat. Maybe I’m not adjusting the turnbuckle correctly?? I can’t find a lot of instructions for that adjustment.

I’m hoping any solution doesn’t require an adjustment of the cable inside the brake drum because I would be basically up the proverbial creek since my clearance on the crossmember doesn’t allow me to pull the brake drum unless I drop the rear of the engine which is not a desirable situation.

Appreciate ideas. I’m not sure if the part about the seat where the cable fits in is supposed to hold it in place but I haven’t been able to get it to move. Do I need to try harder?

Thx!!

LEVER PULLED OUT:
1650495878189.jpeg

LEVER IN:
1650495939764.jpeg

must be an early 1979, model year, which was a 1978, sold before January of 1979.
it's been awhile since I dealt with 1 under the dash, you don't want any slack in the wire rope when not engaged. adjust the top nut closer to the end of the threads, then run the lower up tight to the mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom