79 FJ40 No Spark need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I rebuilt the carburetor about two months ago in the truck ran fine my buddy pulled the distributor cap off to check the points and it never started again I replaced a distributor cap the rotors the condenser and checked everything on the coil it turns over but it still won't spark any ideas?

79 distributor is electronic and it has no points.

How did you "check" the coil? You need to check if it makes a spark. Pull the center high voltage wire fromt he distributor and hold it 1.4 inch from the block. Disconnect the wires at the - side of the coil. Turn the ingition key on and then momentarily ground the - side of the coil and see if you get a spark.

My 79 is from South America so it has all kind of weird parts, very different from the North American trucks. It definitely has points because I replaced that and the condenser. I check for voltage through the coil and everything checked out. Short of replacing the entire distributor I'm baffled as to what it is.

79 distributor is electronic and it has no points.

How did you "check" the coil? You need to check if it makes a spark. Pull the center high voltage wire fromt he distributor and hold it 1.4 inch from the block. Disconnect the wires at the - side of the coil. Turn the ingition key on and then momentarily ground the - side of the coil and see if you get a spark.

Details are important. The advise you get is only as good as the information you provide.

Does it have an ignitor?

I opened the distributor last night and uninstalled then reinstalled the points and condenser. Put new spark plugs in and the truck started right up........not sure exactly what it was but something I did make it start. I noticed the idle was a bit high so I've got to tune the carb a little bit, but at least it's running to get it out on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom