79 FJ40 Fuse Panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had one of the clips on my fuse panel break and am wondering the best approach to fixing / replacing. I've looked all over for a replacement for this panel... shorty 5A Radio fuse in the middle... and only find earlier years with the radio at one end. I believe the layout of mine is:

Tail / Stop Horn / Head - Always On
Radio / Lighter - Key Accessory
Engine (the busted clip) / Heater / Turn Wiper - Key On

On the power feed side it's 3 / 2 / 3 if that makes sense.

On earlier years, it looks like the layout is 3 / 1 / 3 / 1 so I believe I would need to split the Key Accessory feed across the two singles.

(Example of earlier years: Fuse Box and Cover for '78 Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/new-fuse-box-and-cover-for-78-land-cruiser-fj40)

Could I source a replacement piece for Key On power feed side? Would be 3 clips attached together and I think they pop in and out of the plastic.

Or is there a stock replacement available for the whole panel? I see lots like the one I linked but no direct replacements for the 79+. I'd prefer this because of the age and I'd like to not worry about it any more.

Any help / suggestions appreciated!

TIA,
Chris

PS the brown paint overspray was the previous owner

IMG_7368_LI.jpg

IMG_7364.jpeg

IMG_7367.jpeg

Thanks Ming, I only saw the prior years I linked in my post... I just looked again. Can you link what you're seeing that matches?

Well, seems your fuse block is not part of City Racer’s current store. Shoot him an inquiry and see if he can’t locate one. If that fails contact Classic Cruisersmand see if they can find one for you In their yard.

reach out to @Coolerman too and see if he has one in his stash.

Thanks @Ming89FJ62 !

@Racer65 , that thread is really helpful, thank you. One I reconfigure the panel in the 3 / 1 / 1 / 3 feed, I assume I can just jump the two singles with a small wire?
Also, I'd cut the original wires (after labeling) and attach spade connectors to attach to the new panel? They're crimped on the original as far as I can tell.

Also, guessing you don't sell just the metal clips as I don't need any of the plastic?

Thanks both!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is correct but:

The website indicates that it is the fuse block for a 79 but no picture.

@jmylie Part is discontinued and the description is odd because it says 77-80 which, I believe, spans the two different panel configurations I mentioned earlier. I dont know how one fuse panel could fit that span of years.

Thanks @Ming89FJ62 !

@Racer65 , that thread is really helpful, thank you. One I reconfigure the panel in the 3 / 1 / 1 / 3 feed, I assume I can just jump the two singles with a small wire?
Also, I'd cut the original wires (after labeling) and attach spade connectors to attach to the new panel? They're crimped on the original as far as I can tell.

Also, guessing you don't sell just the metal clips as I don't need any of the plastic?

Thanks both!
I don't sell just the clips, but I can sell you a box without the cover. Just enter a note in the cart page when you order.
Sorry I can't help with the reconfig since I've not undertaken the task.

Last edited:
I don't sell just the clips, but I can sell you a box without the cover. Just enter a note in the cart page when you order.
Sorry I can't help with the reconfig since I've not undertaken the work.

Looking at Amayama Trading it shows a change 10/78. That one ended 1/79 and the last loose fuse block not attached to the harness. If that is true possible it has the same configuration as the 1/79+ fuse block. I don't have it here but pretty sure I have a 11/78 harness with the fuse block still attached and a 80 model harness as well. Do not know the month but almost positive it was pre 8/80. Was back in the late nineties when I stripped out one at a salvage yard. Picked it up as a spare for my 79. Idea of having a short and harness melting has alway scared me.

Thanks @Ming89FJ62 !

Thanks both!

Yes, you would need to cut the 3 main wires from the current fuse box and crimp on female connectors. Also if you look at the image from the thread he put the clips with two connections in the middle. This way he can make a small jumper wire to connect them. Take pics and post them if you go this route.

This seems like a really clean way to do this. @Racer65 you should configure and sell some like this, maybe with a small jumper already in place and 3 female crimp connectors.

25BAEA41-A982-4384-AD82-0D5E85A44ECD.jpeg

I had one of the clips on my fuse panel break and am wondering the best approach to fixing / replacing. I've looked all over for a replacement for this panel... shorty 5A Radio fuse in the middle... and only find earlier years with the radio at one end. I believe the layout of mine is:

Tail / Stop Horn / Head - Always On
Radio / Lighter - Key Accessory
Engine (the busted clip) / Heater / Turn Wiper - Key On

On the power feed side it's 3 / 2 / 3 if that makes sense.

On earlier years, it looks like the layout is 3 / 1 / 3 / 1 so I believe I would need to split the Key Accessory feed across the two singles.

(Example of earlier years: Fuse Box and Cover for '78 Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/new-fuse-box-and-cover-for-78-land-cruiser-fj40)

Could I source a replacement piece for Key On power feed side? Would be 3 clips attached together and I think they pop in and out of the plastic.

Or is there a stock replacement available for the whole panel? I see lots like the one I linked but no direct replacements for the 79+. I'd prefer this because of the age and I'd like to not worry about it any more.

Any help / suggestions appreciated!

TIA,
Chris

PS the brown paint overspray was the previous owner

View attachment 2750927

View attachment 2750928

View attachment 2750929

Please listen to and take the Advise of @Racer65 , this is his area of expertise !

his option , i have used time and time again with ZERO issues of any kind , BOTTOM LINE

i have personally installed HIS NON riveted fuse boxes IN PLACE of the poorly designed COPPER RIVITED non service able late modle fuse panel

and had nothing but POSITIVE SHOP CLIENT Feedback on it and its quality , its priced accordingly , you get what you pay for ..........

and his box and cover are worth EVERY DIME !

his FUSE BOX's are hands down a
SUPER HEAVY DUTY update part that will serve you well for the foreseeable future

Your next question might be ?

well I don’t have any of the green , black and white needed YaZaKi Japan connectors and solid brass same OEM toyota parts maker terminals ?

Well now you do …

please PM me to discuss further

I just received my first run of these 💯 % made in JapAN
Ones

and well I’ll let the photos speak

these are 💯 the exact ones you need to mechanicaly and electronically
Communicate with @Racer65 / the city racer heavy duty new fuse box

hope this helps clear things up and also helps u chart the correct OEM path foward twards a correct by the FSM repair

400F28BC-22B1-4A38-ACC4-9D3A044DD923.jpeg
E372A1AF-AAB1-40EF-B9AA-A452D887C291.jpeg
8F6BB2D3-9AC1-4EE2-A2A7-17B985B2E3F6.jpeg
0CB74A37-0323-41A0-BBA1-D4DA27C771AE.jpeg

Looks like those guys have you set up.

Just as an FYI this is a pic of my 1/79 fuse block cover. The 1/79 uses the plug in as the older ones. Looks like your pic of the cover. I know the 1/79 model was kind of a bastard child because some parts are like the 78 year and some are more like the 80's and newer.
20210817_131521.jpg

The listing shows 68-7/80 but that includes switches, relays, flashers. Fuse blocks do not see a 1/79+ available.

Looks like those guys have you set up.

Just as an FYI this is a pic of my 1/79 fuse block cover. The 1/79 uses the plug in as the older ones. Looks like your pic of the cover. I know the 1/79 model was kind of a bastard child because some parts are like the 78 year and some are more like the 80's and newer.
View attachment 2761718

Where is your fuel tank? Toyota shows the 78 model ending 1/79 but never seen a 1/79 that still look like 78. Amayama Trading shows a cowl harness, fuse block and fuse block cover 10/78-1/79. Years ago I bought two 78 cowls. One I know was 11/78. Think the other was at least 10/78. Got most of the wiring harnesses out of both. Not sure covers were still there but pretty sure fuse blocks were. If I remember next time I'm around them will check. Location of the same radio fuse may have moved from the bottom to the middle. Yours having a plug would support that theory.

Where is your fuel tank? Toyota shows the 78 model ending 1/79 but never seen a 1/79 that still look like 78. Amayama Trading shows a cowl harness, fuse block and fuse block cover 10/78-1/79. Years ago I bought two 78 cowls. One I know was 11/78. Think the other was at least 10/78. Got most of the wiring harnesses out of both. Not sure covers were still there but pretty sure fuse blocks were. If I remember next time I'm around them will check. Location of the same radio fuse may have moved from the bottom to the middle. Yours having a plug would support that theory.

Fuel tank was underneath.
I remember years ago reading here, maybe JimC, that the 1/79 was a mix of late 78 and the newer stuff.

Edit to ad: 79 frame and most of the body is long gone. I did a complete wiring harness, engine, drivetrain swap to a 9/69, (1970 registered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom