79 FJ40 Exhaust manifold dilemna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a leaky exhaust manifold that has apparently leaked in the past. PO had definitely been in there and put some sealant in as there is excess coming pushing out. Dont know if the gasket was replaced at the time or not. Suffice to say I need to take the thing off, clean it up, new gasket etc.

But, Im wondering if while I'm at it, replacing it with a 6>1 header like this one from JTO (Performance Exhaust Header Toyota Land Cruiser 1F 2F FJ40 45 FJ55 FJ60 Manifold - JTOutfitters) might not be a bad way to go. I know guys generally like the $600 3>2>1 style headers over the 6>1 but I dont necessarily have the fundage for that. If I didnt know I needed to take the manifold off anyway, I likely wouldnt consider changing but while Im in there...

Any opinions on this upgrade? I have carb bowl boil issues (as do a lot of folks) and I've read here that headers help reduce temp. That alone makes me lean towards doing the swap.

Any others people like beside the JTO that are in the sub $300 range?

TIA
Chris

Ever tried a remflex gasket?

Last edited:
No but I'm confident I can clean up the existing manifold and make it seal w a new gasket. More a question of the value of headers.

The manifold may be warped. No amount of gaskets get can fix a bad warp. Maybe get it machined flat instead of headers. Headers don't guarantee a leak free engine either.

Ever tried a remflex gasket?

As OS said, but I'd add, particularly cheap headers...

Thanks folks. I'll see what I run into when I pull the manifold off. If it is indeed warped, I'm likely to spring for headers to help with the temp inside the engine bay. I guess at that point it's a question of $s.

Anyone have headers (that are actually available) that they've used and liked?

Thanks
Chris

Never heard of headers making it cooler in the engine bay. Also do you still have a Cat in it's stock location outside the frame rail? Not sure headers would allow the CAT to be in stock location.

Never heard of headers making it cooler in the engine bay. Also do you still have a Cat in it's stock location outside the frame rail? Not sure headers would allow the CAT to be in stock location.

The CAT is gone... the PO had de-smog'd (sort of) and I completed the job. Exhaust headers are mentioned a few times in threads here on Mud as helping to alleviate or outright eliminating vapor lock / boil issues with the carb. I have the heat shield above the existing manifold and the carb fan functioning but still have issues on hot days. Parking and running into a store for 10-15 mins becomes a nightmare!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom